Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: United Airlines
United WIFI Problem -

Good evening,

Been a United WIFI subscriber for few years now, and recently (over the last 2 weeks) have had issues connecting to in-flight wifi on International and Domestic. The only thing I changed when I started to encounter these problems; I changed to iPhone ProMax 13, with IOS 15.1. I tried every trick in the book, even used two other different Phones; same issue.

Anyone having this problem please?

Thank you,

- Z
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
I fly between 50 and 80 segments a year on UA. Given how shoty the wifi is, it is perfectly reasonable to assume that you have just had an unlucky streak as opposed to you doing something wrong. UA wifi is terrible.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by nyr2299
I fly between 50 and 80 segments a year on UA. Given how shoty the wifi is, it is perfectly reasonable to assume that you have just had an unlucky streak as opposed to you doing something wrong. UA wifi is terrible.
Agreed. It’s horrendous. I let my subscription lapse.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does anyone else have an issue getting disconnected from WiFi the moment the phone goes idle? Not sure if it’s my phone or the WiFi system but the moment I let my phone sit unused for a minute or so, the WiFi disconnects
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does anyone else have an issue getting disconnected from WiFi the moment the phone goes idle? Not sure if it’s my phone or the WiFi system but the moment I let my phone sit unused for a minute or so, the WiFi disconnects
Is your phone in any sort of power saving mode?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
Is your phone in any sort of power saving mode?
No just regular use mode
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
iOS 15.6 and UA inflight wifi

I recently upgraded by iPhone 11 Pro to 15.6 - and while I am not happy with it for a variety of reasons - the major issue appears to be not playing well with the UA inflight WiFi services. I was able to connect - but it would drop the internet connection frequently. In addition, while I was able to use some of the basic UA service - track flight status, book flights, review my travel and account info, I could not do anything else - couldnt use free messaging, could not access any inflight entertainment (it consistently brought me to the page that you get when you dont have a connection), couldnt get to the "partners" page. I tried a few different setting on my phone and there was nothing obviously.

It also appears that the app is crashing and/or freezing up more frequently....even when I have a stable ground (like at home) wifi or cell connection.

It appeared that others on the flight, not that I could completely be sure, didnt have any issues and there was no announcement "sorry, but not working"

Although, I have to say on some recent fights, the overall reliability of the Wifi has been very low.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by mfirst
I recently upgraded by iPhone 11 Pro to 15.6 - and while I am not happy with it for a variety of reasons - the major issue appears to be not playing well with the UA inflight WiFi services. I was able to connect - but it would drop the internet connection frequently. In addition, while I was able to use some of the basic UA service - track flight status, book flights, review my travel and account info, I could not do anything else - couldnt use free messaging, could not access any inflight entertainment (it consistently brought me to the page that you get when you dont have a connection), couldnt get to the "partners" page. I tried a few different setting on my phone and there was nothing obviously.

It also appears that the app is crashing and/or freezing up more frequently....even when I have a stable ground (like at home) wifi or cell connection.

It appeared that others on the flight, not that I could completely be sure, didnt have any issues and there was no announcement "sorry, but not working"

Although, I have to say on some recent fights, the overall reliability of the Wifi has been very low.
Haven't had any issues with IOS 15.6 and I travel constantly on UA -- although on a recent flight home from FRA it would barely stay connected.... I would suspect that the plane was the issue -- not your iPhone...
mikeyf likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
11 series is 3yr old - excuse to upgrade (in Sept)!
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
11 series is 3yr old - excuse to upgrade (in Sept)!
LOL - I must be a total Loser -- I still use an iPhone 8 (with iOS 15.6 of course).....
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:08 pm

yeah - an excuse to upgrade when the 14 comes out? except the 11 is still working great and hard to find the benefits and new features

I have had my share of UA Wifi headaches - but this current set of problems (on 2 separate flights today) seemed unusual in that I had access to united travel features but no messaging, partner stuff, movies/tv, etc......

... and I didnt get the sense that anyone else on the packed flights were having issues and the upgrades just got pushed out.....

-m
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
LOL - I must be a total Loser -- I still use an iPhone 8 (with iOS 15.6 of course).....
Still using an 8+ but with 14.8.1. ;-)

had the Sam experience as you on a recent flight ORD to SFO, constant dropping, really no throughput. UA WIFI on some aircraft and at some times just s..s..
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
DEN-SDF last week on a UX CR7. The Gogo internet (and PDE) were basically unusable. Requested a refund. I didn't even bother on the return trip. I just slept.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:45 am

IFE/Wifi not working on my iPhone.... but appeared ok all around?

I consider myself fairly techy - but yesterday I was on the OGG-SFO 777 flight and could not get my Wifi to connect (i.e. error - no internet connection) for the IFE
... the people around me appeared to have it working without problems for movies (I think they even have wifi-internet across the pacific on 777s these days)

I have an iPhone 11 pro, updated iOS
tried resetting, etc.....
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst
I consider myself fairly techy - but yesterday I was on the OGG-SFO 777 flight and could not get my Wifi to connect (i.e. error - no internet connection) for the IFE
... the people around me appeared to have it working without problems for movies (I think they even have wifi-internet across the pacific on 777s these days)

I have an iPhone 11 pro, updated iOS
tried resetting, etc.....
I've had this happen to me recently, and the reason has been that iOS appears to cache the last IP address it receives from a given network and then insists upon using it. (I wonder if the United DHCP timeout is set too long?). I've been able to solve this by forgetting the network and then joining it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.