Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Ehhhh was complete crap today SFO-PHX... couldn't get past the login screen...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Can you specify the carriers?

LH frequently has problems - at least recently when I have been trying to connect. Actually gave up on my last flight and saved the EUR 19.00...
NH
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Well, this is interesting. Yet another flight w/ Panasonic not working, and this time, the refund was automatic.

Got an email the day after my flight with the subject "Your recent wi-fi purchase has been refunded"

Text of the email:

"We have determined that there were Wi-Fi connectivity issues on your recent flight and would like to apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. The details of your full purchase are listed for your reference and will be automatically refunded. Please allow 1-2 billing cycles for the charge to be credited back to your account.

We look forward to having you back on board soon."

It sounds like their system is now automatically detecting when there are connectivity problems. A good sign that perhaps they're finally working to a solution.

I have absolutely zero issues on the 737s with the other kind of wifi. Even when the Panasonic Wifi on the sUA planes is operable, the satellite doesn't connect until atleast 20-25 minutes after takeoff and disconnects about 30 minutes before landing.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:24 am

Wifi Logoff

Signed up for wifi on my SEA to ORD flight yesterday on my iPhone. Then later in the flight I pulled out my laptop to do some work and "logged in" to United Wifi. However, I fat fingered my email address so I didn't get a prompt to move my purchased plan. To my frustration I found no way to logoff/login again to fix my error. Different browsers, rebooting, etc. did not work. Thoughts? Or just part of the long list of the horrible UI for United Wifi?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I suspect you can only use one device per paid wifi pass. Perhaps others can confirm?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I suspect you can only use one device per paid wifi pass. Perhaps others can confirm?
I can confirm that when you buy WiFi with your MP number, you can transfer the session to another device. In fact you can go back-and-forth a number of times (I've done it successfully).

I think if you mis-type your email on the second device, clearing the cookies should solve the problem.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Switching devices is allwed. I don't recall the particulars of doing so. I suspect that one can log in using another device and the same email address to switch, but i don't recall the specifics and if one fat-fingers the email address and/or doesn't recall what was typed that would make switching rather difficult.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
I can confirm that when you buy WiFi with your MP number, you can transfer the session to another device. In fact you can go back-and-forth a number of times (I've done it successfully).

I think if you mis-type your email on the second device, clearing the cookies should solve the problem.
You can do it. I do it every week. Tried to clear cookies too with no luck. A new browser (IE rather than Chrome) didn't work either so not cookie related. The "router" must track MAC addresses attached to the email address. I guess they just don't offer the ability to clear what is being tracked.

Last edited by Robert Walker; Apr 29, 2016 at 9:10 am
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Robert Walker
You can do it. I do it every week. Tried to clear cookies too with no luck. A new browser (IE rather than Chrome) didn't work either so not cookie related. The "router" must track MAC addresses attached to the email address. I guess they just don't offer the ability to clear what is being tracked.
Then ask the FA to reboot the WiFi system
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yeah...this is a frustration of mine as well. But it is not part of the portal platform.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:12 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I ran into this problem too. They don't tell you why the email address is needed, so I just entered junk. And then it comes time to receive the payment receipt for the wifi service, and it vanishes into thin air. They said you have to refer to it by the credit card charge 016 receipt or something...
Old May 30, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Aboard a UA 757 today (SFO-BOS), WiFi and Internet access worked fine. But using Safari on my MacBook Pro, I couldn't get any of the movies to play, even after I installed the Panasonic plug-in.

Curiously, the movie previews all played fine. But when I tried to watch a film, I kept getting "Error 2002" which says, "You are temporarily disconnected from the network, but the system is trying to reconnect you. If you continue to see this message, please refresh your browser." Refreshing Safari multiple times had no effect.

I'd appreciate your advice on how to address this problem. I tried to reinstall Adobe Flash Player in flight without success.

Thanks!

Last edited by ridgebackpilot; May 30, 2016 at 11:46 am
Old May 30, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Anyone have experience on United WiFi for transpac IAD-PEK? I would assume this would be in the "polar coverage gap" for a substantial portion of the flight.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Signed up for wifi on my SEA to ORD flight yesterday on my iPhone. Then later in the flight I pulled out my laptop to do some work and "logged in" to United Wifi. However, I fat fingered my email address so I didn't get a prompt to move my purchased plan. To my frustration I found no way to logoff/login again to fix my error. Different browsers, rebooting, etc. did not work. Thoughts? Or just part of the long list of the horrible UI for United Wifi?
I just did the exact same thing on the exact same route. I've spent the last 30 mins trying to figure out how to change email addresses or otherwise reset my connection/login. Must be MAC address.

I'm going to purchase a second set of hours and try to get a refund for one of them. Fortunately/unfortunately, the second purchase will be for less hours.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by saFlyTalk
Anyone have experience on United WiFi for transpac IAD-PEK? I would assume this would be in the "polar coverage gap" for a substantial portion of the flight.
It depends upon the exact routing. I typically lose only an hour or so. I find that UA's T-Pac Wifi pricing is very reasonable for the length it is available. About one in five flights, it's not working due to problems on the aircraft; but when it is available, I'm happy to pay for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.