Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
+1. My time is worth much more than $6/ hr!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It depends how much you want to make UA pay.

A CC dispute at this pricing level is not worth the CC's time either. They will likely eat it and credit you as a goodwill gesture (though they will say it's been resolved in your favor).

A DOT complaint utilizes more of UA's resources. It will take longer, but you will likely get more satisfaction that way.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
I had a similar experience - multiple attempts to sign-on to United Wifi resulted in multiple charges of $1 each. After dutifully following the instruction for a refund in sending in the receipt number and charge amount to the refund email address - nothing. However, I also decided that spending time to chase after the $2 from United isn't worth the effort. I'll just donate the $2 to United. Perhaps I should purchase some UAL stocks and hope to get the $2 back that way.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Oh, my sweet summer child.
Perfect. Absolutely perfect.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mherdeg
A Department of Transportation consumer complaint will also do the trick , http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint . Keep the facts succinct and include enough info to identify the relevant charges (flight numbers, ticket numbers, etc.). You'll get a response from corporate headquarters within a week.

You can also wait it out and hope UA eventually does the right thing; or call customer relations with your sad story and they may give you a voucher on the spot for more than your out-of-pocket costs.

The DOT complaint route may help ensure that others don't face similar problems in the future.
Recommended course of action. A CC chargeback consumes disproportionate time and probably hurts the CC issuer as much or more. Giving up and doing nothing validates UA's current m.o.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by davewang202
I had a similar experience - multiple attempts to sign-on to United Wifi resulted in multiple charges of $1 each. After dutifully following the instruction for a refund in sending in the receipt number and charge amount to the refund email address - nothing. However, I also decided that spending time to chase after the $2 from United isn't worth the effort. I'll just donate the $2 to United. Perhaps I should purchase some UAL stocks and hope to get the $2 back that way.
Quick follow-up.

Nearly 1 month after the failed attempt at using the Wifi and getting charged $1 twice, a $1 refund showed up on the credit card. Still no sign for the other $1, but at least half of it got refunded.

Another day, another dollar.
The second missing dollar showed up today (Jan 7), so a month after the multiple charges to an impossible to connect-to Wifi, United has seen fit to refund both $1 charges.

Last edited by davewang202; Jan 7, 2015 at 8:20 pm Reason: Another refund showed up
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
My patience with United Wi-Fi is reaching the tipping point.

All of my recent flights it has been "broken", despite repeated "resets" and "the light is on" pronouncements from the FAs. Other passengers (ironically, from overhearing conversations, typically NOT UA flyers) are much more insistent than I at trying to resolve the issue. I get the sense that OALs are a bit more reliable.

Up until a few months ago my trips were 90% wi-fi reliable except for double billing. Recently it is closer to 25%. Anyone else noticed a difference?

Some of my recent problems:

1) United Wi-Fi SSID is available, does authenticate, but then displays a webpage with no option to purchase access(despite advertising it). Confirmed with multiple passengers and devices, no way to purchase. I think this is the default when there is no internet connectivity.

2) United Wi-Fi SSID is available, but authentication fails.

3) Plane has a Wi-Fi symbol on boarding door, but no SSID, FAs insist "Light is On". Not sure what the obsession with the "light" here is, seems there is little training on how it works, had it mentioned on multiple flights. Maybe looking at the indicator light is the limit of their ability/willingness to troubleshoot. Once at the suggestion of a passenger, the purser grabbed an iPad and verified the issue, after insisting that it was working. Clearly the "light" is not the gospel here.

4) Power outlets off (no green light, no power). Sometimes the FAs fix it, sometimes they ignore me.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by johnden
My patience with United Wi-Fi is reaching the tipping point.

All of my recent flights it has been "broken", despite repeated "resets" and "the light is on" pronouncements from the FAs. Other passengers (ironically, from overhearing conversations, typically NOT UA flyers) are much more insistent than I at trying to resolve the issue. I get the sense that OALs are a bit more reliable.

Up until a few months ago my trips were 90% wi-fi reliable except for double billing. Recently it is closer to 25%. Anyone else noticed a difference?

Some of my recent problems:

1) United Wi-Fi SSID is available, does authenticate, but then displays a webpage with no option to purchase access(despite advertising it). Confirmed with multiple passengers and devices, no way to purchase. I think this is the default when there is no internet connectivity.

2) United Wi-Fi SSID is available, but authentication fails.

3) Plane has a Wi-Fi symbol on boarding door, but no SSID, FAs insist "Light is On". Not sure what the obsession with the "light" here is, seems there is little training on how it works, had it mentioned on multiple flights. Maybe looking at the indicator light is the limit of their ability/willingness to troubleshoot. Once at the suggestion of a passenger, the purser grabbed an iPad and verified the issue, after insisting that it was working. Clearly the "light" is not the gospel here.

4) Power outlets off (no green light, no power). Sometimes the FAs fix it, sometimes they ignore me.
On a recent BOM-EWR flight, the lead FA had to reset the system twice - only close to 5 hours before landing I could get it to work.

For others using non-MP authentication (one of the two flight marshals for example) stated that it was working fine for them.

Apparently United is discriminating against elites/MP members in another way as well!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
TXL-EWR on a 767-400 earlier this month the Wifi was down the whole flight. I wrote in and got 5,000 miles for it.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
98% unusable on this delightful SFO-HKG.

Oh and the personal device entertainment also isn't working.

Flight attendants don't even remotely care.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Rotus12
98% unusable on this delightful SFO-HKG.

Oh and the personal device entertainment also isn't working.

Flight attendants don't even remotely care.
On the BOM sector, some FAs are actively utilizing this service...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by Jflynn64
Have used the wifi now twice on cross country trips and it is abysmal. The service is much worse than AA or US Air.
I love posts like this, "United Wifi is unusable" but the first line "Have used the wifi now twice..."

I fly twice a week, 2-4 segments a week, and have been able to connect all but three times now on eligible flights (almost all aircraft). And in all cases but one, I had the PDE functioning. My colleagues who fly AA weekly often complain that they have about a 60-70% chance that Gogo will be working. And even if it doesn't, or they are on a non-wifi plane, Gogo is getting their monthly fee.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
wifi is so unreliable

My second international flight and wifi completely unusable. Fa rebooted the system several times. She commented that it rarely works. That jeffy talks about all these technology upgrades but nothing works. And this was a sco plane.

So how often does wifi work internationally? (I was mostly over Canada going north from Ewr if that matters but the flight before was sfo going north)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Was it a 737? The 737s got the crippled system that only works over the lower 48 landmass (and not very far offshore) rather than the global system on the Airbus, non-P.S. 757, and longhaul planes.

And even in the US the 737 system doesn't work very well. But it is high bandwidth (albeit high latency) when it does work.

Also gettting refunds is a pain when the 737 system doesn't work. They'll kick you around from UA CS to LiveTV (Thales), sending you emails that were intended for the other party rather than you, sent from no-reply email addresses. File the refund claim and watch a few days of the sillyness then just handle via CC chargeback.

The non-737 system is flaky too, but can at least work in theory over Canada.

Last edited by mduell; Jul 29, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by travel.flier
So how often does wifi work internationally? (I was mostly over Canada going north from Ewr if that matters but the flight before was sfo going north)
Have taken SFO-HKG 747 twice on roundtrips this year and was 0/4 with reliable wifi. On three flights, it never worked, on one; it would pull data about once an hour. At one point, was completely down for four hours. No issues with refunds from United. Have had pretty good luck on domestic wifi though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.