Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:20 pm

WiFi shuts off at border??

I am flying internationally tomorrow and due to scheduling, have no choice but to send timely docs while en route. I'll be in F and .bomb reads for my flight:
A beta version of United Wi-Fi, with connectivity within the continental U.S., is available for purchase on this flight.
Assuming that the WiFi will work, my question is this: does WiFi actually work up to the border and then turn off near the vicinity? I've looked at the flight path and if today's path is accurate, will have about ~3.5h over the US. Thus, would it be safe to assume I have about 3.5hr (less time to 10k) work time and transmission time? Also, I recognize that I can track position but I am trying to plan now

TIA
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
I am flying internationally tomorrow and due to scheduling, have no choice but to send timely docs while en route. I'll be in F and .bomb reads for my flight:
A beta version of United Wi-Fi, with connectivity within the continental U.S., is available for purchase on this flight.
Assuming that the WiFi will work, my question is this: does WiFi actually work up to the border and then turn off near the vicinity? I've looked at the flight path and if today's path is accurate, will have about ~3.5h over the US. Thus, would it be safe to assume I have about 3.5hr (less time to 10k) work time and transmission time? Also, I recognize that I can track position but I am trying to plan now

TIA
If you are on a 737 then it will shut off at the border(ish). If you are on any other aircraft type it will work pretty much anywhere on the globe a UA plane typically flies.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold

TIA
You assumptions are reasonable - but, IME, UA wifi connectivity starts about five to ten minutes after the airplane reaches 10000 feet. As for when it stops, YMMV.

However, I would not, repeat NOT, count on UA wifi for anything mission critical.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Terminalator
If satellite TV, or GPS, worked that poorly a whole lot of companies would be outof business.
TV and GPS are both unidirectional, and GPS is low gain.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
However, I would not, repeat NOT, count on UA wifi for anything mission critical.
Or any other airline.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Or any other airline.
+1

Relying on any airline for mission critical items via WiFi is a recipe for disaster. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, that seems to be normal.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I flew on a 737 that had wifi last week from ORD-SFO. The FA made the announcement along the lines of "This plane has wifi, it will be enabled at 10K feet, but it usually does not work and there is nothing we can do to fix it other than try to restart the system". Indeed, it did not work even after the restart.

Compared to my VX flight earlier in the week. I am still wondering why I choose to stick with UA.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I wonder whether the system allows for any remote management? I've noticed a number of hotel systems going to this model and it seems to work well when I've called the support line.

OTOH, on the plane there's the catch-22 problem where there's no way to contact support if the network is down.

Since we're going with anecdotal info here wifi internet worked fine on two flights I was recently on - a 737 LAS-SFO and a 777 SFO-HNL. One interesting bit is realizing that I could only chat with my iMessage friends rather than text. I wonder if the cellular carriers have a text over wifi solution upcoming?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
You assumptions are reasonable - but, IME, UA wifi connectivity starts about five to ten minutes after the airplane reaches 10000 feet. As for when it stops, YMMV.

I don't understand why, if it is satellite wifi, it only starts after 10k feet. This seems to be a UA limitation not a physical system limitation. Other airlines have gate-to-gate satellite wifi, does anyone know why UAs is not?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lensman
One interesting bit is realizing that I could only chat with my iMessage friends rather than text. I wonder if the cellular carriers have a text over wifi solution upcoming?
Leading carriers like T-mobile already have SMS over wifi deployed.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam
I flew on a 737 that had wifi last week from ORD-SFO. The FA made the announcement along the lines of "This plane has wifi, it will be enabled at 10K feet, but it usually does not work and there is nothing we can do to fix it other than try to restart the system". Indeed, it did not work even after the restart.

Compared to my VX flight earlier in the week. I am still wondering why I choose to stick with UA.
This answers my question I've had for a while. Every flight I ask them to do a restart, I either get a yes or a "we have no way to restart it" so i was beginning to think the FA's that said they would restart it were not actually doing anything.

Just had completely inop wifi today. No login page, error page, flight info, nothing. Connected to the network and stared at a blank screen.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold

TIA
IME flying to ANC the wifi stopped working about halfway up the BC coastline.

Of course YMMV depending on where you're headed and I wouldn't count on it working past the USA borders but it does appear there is substantial leakage of signal past the border.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
Or any other airline.
I find AA to be as reliable as most hotel wifi. There may be some brief and intermittent issues during the flight but with AA I can count on getting documents and email sent. UA, not so much.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by adambadam
I don't understand why, if it is satellite wifi, it only starts after 10k feet. This seems to be a UA limitation not a physical system limitation. Other airlines have gate-to-gate satellite wifi, does anyone know why UAs is not?
The 10k limit started with the FAA rules about electronics. It is absolutely possible to have it work below that but the systems UA uses do not. Part of that is because the plane is generally banking more when lower which makes holding the connection harder and part of it is that they've simply not enabled it on the system.

And, yes, Gogo has a sms over wifi solution deployed with TMO.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:57 pm

I flew ORD-IAH on a B737-900ER without LiveTv but it had the Wifi Installed however it was not working the whole flight.

It's a hit or miss IME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.