Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Flew EWR-NRT 12/6 and the Wifi was there but couldn't get to the login page to pay. Tried 2 browsers and 2 devices - no joy. The wifi itself worked as I was able to get to united.com but nowhere else. Too bad because I was going to pay for it on a 14 hour flight.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
Leading carriers like T-mobile already have SMS over wifi deployed.
What's more, it's free on GoGo WiFi flights. That is, even if you don't pay to enable WiFi, T-Mobile has paid GoGo something on the back end that lets just WiFi SMS through for all of their subscribers.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
IAD-SEA last week had wifi for $9.99. Except for a 5-minute period of time, it worked quickly and flawlessly for the entire flight on multiple devices.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RockinRon
Flew EWR-NRT 12/6 and the Wifi was there but couldn't get to the login page to pay. Tried 2 browsers and 2 devices - no joy. The wifi itself worked as I was able to get to united.com but nowhere else. Too bad because I was going to pay for it on a 14 hour flight.
What devices/OS?

Next time you're in that situation try navigating directly to www.unitedwifi.com and see if it lets you log in. I know there have been some interesting challenges for the folks who build the portal software and the iOS auto-login code related to Safari.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:50 pm

Well, I can report that my original post, asking where WiFi would lose its signal near the border, was futile. Though advertised as WiFi, it never worked for any portion of the flight. Could not connect on my android or PC. I never checked the iPad since when I've been able to connect to UA WiFi, I've never had a problem with the first two devices. Thanks UA! Oh, and our FA in F had an attitude as well...
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I used the WiFi on a DirectTV 738 yesterday AUS-SFO. $2/hr and the performance was pretty good. And there wasn't the annoying lag between 10K' and the ability to log on that I've always encountered on the Arbii.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by adambadam
I don't understand why, if it is satellite wifi, it only starts after 10k feet.
The transmitting functions of your phone, tablet, computer, etc. are suppose to be off when below 10,000'.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Does anyone have any experience using the United satellite WiFi on the PMCO 777 aircraft long-haul?

(Ideally hoping for someone posting their experience using it on UA48/49 ex-EWR to/from BOM...)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Does anyone have any experience using the United satellite WiFi on the PMCO 777 aircraft long-haul?
Yes. Worked for the first 10 minutes EWR-HKG a month ago, crapped out the rest of the (15 hour) flight. Better luck to you.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The transmitting functions of your phone, tablet, computer, etc. are suppose to be off when below 10,000'.
Is wifii included in this? Several airlines have gate to gate wifi. And I oniw on the 737's tha I have been on, wifi works until landing.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Only if the airline still chooses to have that rule enforced. Gate-to-gate is also an option.
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Worked fine on NRT-EWR a couple weeks ago at $17 for the whole flight.
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
And I oniw on the 737's tha I have been on, wifi works until landing.
Shhhh...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes. Worked for the first 10 minutes EWR-HKG a month ago, crapped out the rest of the (15 hour) flight. Better luck to you.
OMG!

Originally Posted by sbm12
Worked fine on NRT-EWR a couple weeks ago at $17 for the whole flight.
Thanks for the feedback/data point! ^
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
EWR-PEK on 12/2. Didn't work at all the entire way.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RJNYC
EWR-PEK on 12/2. Didn't work at all the entire way.
Better than taking your money, working for 10 minutes, then not working the next 15 hours
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:20 am

Just did UA49 BOM-EWR - was working almost the whole time - with really decent speed, but the system wouldn't let us change devices with my continuously attempting signing on with different devices...so had to stay with the phone connected only. ($17.00)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Dec 22, 2014 at 8:50 am Reason: Added rate for WiFi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.