Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 6:48 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by LapuLapu
Currently on UA800-EWR to SFO. Wifi is barely useable.
Until they remove Gogo from those birds and put something more modern on they're going to be terrible.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: *
I recently took two back to back flights on the same 777-300ER between EWR and SFO. On both flights I paid for wifi for the whole flight. Like clock work half way into the flight internet access stopped on both flights having been performing excellently for the first two to three hours or so. I kept trying but never got access.

I was going to complain to get a refund but then I got an email for UA the next day

Dear Ani 90

We have determined that there were Wi-Fi connectivity issues on your recent flight and would like to apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. The details of your full purchase are listed for your reference and will be automatically refunded. Please allow up to 7 days for the United MileagePlus® award miles to be credited back to your account.

We look forward to having you back on board soon.

I wondered whether it was a problem unique to the (relatively new) aircraft as it seemed to happen at same point in each flight, but it was reassuring that UA responded without me having complained and refunded payment for both flights.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ceasy
United is verging on losing my business due to awful domestic wifi reliability. Roughly half my flights have connectivity issues affecting the entire plane. Sometimes they can reset and fix the system and sometimes they can't, but either way it's absolutely maddening. Others noticing the same thing? Or am I terribly unlucky?
I find this service to be a useless turd. I have maybe a 25% success rate on having internet for the entire flight. At least they're quick and relatively painless on issuing refunds.

My favorite experience is when it's working fine and someone else complains, they reset, and it never works again.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I find this service to be a useless turd. I have maybe a 25% success rate on having internet for the entire flight. At least they're quick and relatively painless on issuing refunds.

My favorite experience is when it's working fine and someone else complains, they reset, and it never works again.
Definitely I have had the same experience and I would surmise that many times when a a passenger can't get WIFI working, it's more to do with issues with their computer/mobile device literacy and nothing to do with the United WIFI system.

One thing I think that could help is if the flight crew just tells the passengers to try putting in www.unitedwifi.com into a browser.

The worst is when they reset the system for WIFI but it resets the entertainment system as well.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jb_in_ma
I've noticed this as well. Only on 737-900 and iMessage only. No web browsing or VPN. Seems to be leaking through their walled garden. No joy on 757 or A320.
I ran into this for the first time today. Not only was I getting iMessage and push notifications, Speedtest showed 0.11mbps downlink and 0.00 uplink. But at least some uplink had to be working in order to do the downlink test. Also, the Google home page came up in the browser, but I didn't try anything else.

I wanted to use email, but since I forgot about the www.unitedwifi.com page, I could not get the guard page to come up as it normally would when I went to any other site. Instead, it would just spin. So, I didn't even have the opportunity to pay.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Benebene
One thing I think that could help is if the flight crew just tells the passengers to try putting in www.unitedwifi.com into a browser.
Yup. That's all I ever do, works on every UA flight, domestic or international.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:03 am

UA840 SYD-LAX on 7/12, wifi was down the entire flight. unitedwifi.com would keep refreshing ad infinitum and never load. Pax in front of me complained to the FA about it the entire flight (thus saving me from having to do the same)

UA1158 LAX-HNL on 7/13, wifi was shown as available but could not log in to MP account nor access united.com or the United app.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Have to say last night IAD - LAX smooth stable WIFI the entire 6 hours.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA895 last week, ORD-HKG -- $29.99 -- worked from 10,000' on ascent up to 10,000' feet on decent -- 15 hours! It may be attributable to a more southerly routing westbound, over central Alaska instead of polar. A pleasant surprise.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
The last couple times I've tried using it, I'll get about five usable minutes per hour. Much better performance when using Lufthansa's Wi-Fi.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:02 am

Has anyone been having trouble pasting things into the UnitedWifi portal in-flight? When I try to transfer access from my laptop to my phone, it seems like they've somehow interfered with or disabled the ability to paste a password. My password is hideously long and I use a password manager to copy/paste it into forms as needed, but am unable to do so on UnitedWifi.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wxguy
UA895 last week, ORD-HKG -- $29.99 -- worked from 10,000' on ascent up to 10,000' feet on decent -- 15 hours! It may be attributable to a more southerly routing westbound, over central Alaska instead of polar. A pleasant surprise.
The polar route will absolutely drop coverage while north of the 80th parallel or so.

Originally Posted by supergabe
The last couple times I've tried using it, I'll get about five usable minutes per hour. Much better performance when using Lufthansa's Wi-Fi.
Assuming long-haul flights for both UA & LH it is the same kit and vendor. :-:
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Benebene
Definitely I have had the same experience and I would surmise that many times when a a passenger can't get WIFI working, it's more to do with issues with their computer/mobile device literacy and nothing to do with the United WIFI system.

The worst is when they reset the system for WIFI but it resets the entertainment system as well.
Not for this frequent traveler -- I have been able to get both my Android tablet and Windows laptops working at virtually every hotel I've stayed at in the US, Europe, and South America for several years. On UA flights (mainly domestic), some success with the laptop, virtually zero success with the tablet, i.e. frequent disconnects and the PDE success rate is also very low. Would you like to hear about the time that UA WiFi put the tablet into such a state that it took almost an hour until I could get the tablet to reboot?

And I have known about going to the portal URL for a long time.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by rmannion
Has anyone been having trouble pasting things into the UnitedWifi portal in-flight? When I try to transfer access from my laptop to my phone, it seems like they've somehow interfered with or disabled the ability to paste a password. My password is hideously long and I use a password manager to copy/paste it into forms as needed, but am unable to do so on UnitedWifi.
I have experienced this on Android Chrome browser. If you first type a single character into the password field, you can then paste in your password, delete the typed character.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: UAL Plat, 2+MM, AA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
$29.99 for a 14+ hour Intl flight, and I was just offered $27.99 for a SIX hour EWR-SFO flight on July 8th, having paid $11.99 on the reverse routing just one week previous. The combination of complete unreliability of Wifi service coupled with aggressive dynamic pricing just becomes laughable along with so many other service-oriented issues.

I really want to defend United sometimes...but they make it just so damn hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.