Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier Phone Line Delays During Current Winter Storm IROPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier Phone Line Delays During Current Winter Storm IROPS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I really hope this one comes back on UA where it hurts. Awful to read all these stories in this and other thread.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Called 3 times today to the 1k line

1st call 70 minutes on hold 10 am CST
2nd call 118 minutes on hold 11:30 CST
3rd call less than 2 minutes on hold 22:00 CST (am i lucky or what?)

I was told 1200 callers on hold this past Thursday and 900 this morning, down to 369 just now.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 5, 2014 at 10:37 pm Reason: elite number
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Last night, a personal friend of mine (and also FTer) called me and pretty much begged me to call the 1K line on his behalf to get his flight fixed. Of course, I obliged. But I got a busy signal 3 straight times, got mad, and started this thread instead. (Though I guess if I kept trying, I'd eventually get through, just like a GM.)

Maybe there is a business opportunity here. Since COdbaUA can't seem to prioritize their 1K/GS passengers anymore, maybe I should implement a queue for FTers (for a nominal fee, of course)

I call UA, wait on hold for X hours and finally get through. Then I start having FTers IM me stating that they need to speak to an agent. When it is their turn, I have them dial my conference line and then connect them with the UA agent. When they are done, I don't hang up, but rather IM the next FTer to have him call into my conference line. Wonder how many 'friends' the UA agent would be willing to help on a single call? Maybe we could get her entire shift?

So, what would you pay for this service right now?

(Note: I'm just theorizing here. I'm not offering to do this. Yet.)
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA is going to read hobo13's post and get the idea to start a 900 number that gets prioritized higher than the GS/1K line Or, have miles/GPU/RPU deducted for moving up the queue
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
I've been trying all weekend as well on the Premier line. I just received a new message just now for the first time, telling me what my wait time is. I hadn't received that before. It said 3 minutes, and after about 8 minutes I actually got connected to an agent! Looks like United has been upgrading the system?! Seems like the worst time to do it, but at least they're making progress.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Originally Posted by stanscan
I am UA Gold in Sao Paulo: working to change a flight through PHL in two days. I gave up earlier this evening after 2.5 hours waiting (gotta have a life, ya know). Now it is 2:54 AM here Monday morning (11;54 pm EST Sunday evening) and I have been waiting on two lines for one hour and 45 minutes. Will they ever pick-up or am I stuck on hold forever?
After 2.5 hours on hold at 3:40 AM local time, I finally give up! I cannot keep my eyes open any longer. Will try again in a few hours.... good night all...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by hobo13
I call UA, wait on hold for X hours and finally get through. Then I start having FTers IM me stating that they need to speak to an agent. When it is their turn, I have them dial my conference line and then connect them with the UA agent. When they are done, I don't hang up, but rather IM the next FTer to have him call into my conference line. Wonder how many 'friends' the UA agent would be willing to help on a single call? Maybe we could get her entire shift?

So, what would you pay for this service right now?

(Note: I'm just theorizing here. I'm not offering to do this. Yet.)
Meanwhile, the next few 1Ks in line are watching their hold times double…
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by username
UA is going to read hobo13's post and get the idea to start a 900 number that gets prioritized higher than the GS/1K line Or, have miles/GPU/RPU deducted for moving up the queue
Now that you mention it, I'm actually surprised they don't offer that. Seems not much different then selling priority access.

Originally Posted by JC5280
Meanwhile, the next few 1Ks in line are watching their hold times double…
If you paid attention to this thread, you would see that the prioritization system is failing right now. Otherwise there would be no need for such a service!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not really, it is called competent management (or in this case, lack thereof). You anticipate demand, and react accordingly.

Amazon tests servers to ensure they don't crash on cyber Monday (or whatever the busiest day is)

New stadiums test bathroom flushing simultaneously to simulate halftime

Retailers hire extra help and require all hands on deck for Black Friday

Airlines - know in advance there will be peak demand yet don't upgrade telecom or assign additional resources

The reason there is so much regulation of airlines is that management is incapable of meeting basic customer service needs. Proven yet again.

To be fair this is not only a UA issue, WN is known for better service (at least on the phone) and is experiencing similar issues. But then again WN does not have 1Ks or GS.
This is pretty much spot on. The airlines KNOW IRROPS happen. They know it's cold and it snows in the winter. They know when hurricane season occurs.

I'd give them a pass for an event like an earthquake or similar event that is, in fact, unpredictable. But on the whole the weather is relatively predictable in the short run (hey - it's probably going to snow in the northeast in 2-3 days) as well as in the long run (it's cold and snowy in January in North America and warm with thunderstorms in July and August). There's simply no good excuse for not having well-planned processes (with the supporting technology) for managing IRROPS.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
1K line currently down
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
was able to get into premier line, told there'd be a 15 minute hold. 30 minutes later, still waiting. (not terribly upset about it, just another data point.) got a very competent houston-based agent at the 35 minute mark.

Last edited by karenkay; Jan 6, 2014 at 8:35 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA*G, 1MM
I spent three days trying to get ahold of an agent. Waiting about 1.5 to 2 hours each attempt. Finally got through yesterday, spoke to an agent for at least 30 minutes (maybe 45) and just checked the total call time: 3h32m.

All in all, I'm not upset. It was a storm that caused IRROPS across half of America. That's thousands of people stranded somewhere. I'm glad I wasn't one of them!(today, that is, because at some point in the future I will be one of those stranded)
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
This is pretty much spot on. The airlines KNOW IRROPS happen. They know it's cold and it snows in the winter. They know when hurricane season occurs.

I'd give them a pass for an event like an earthquake or similar event that is, in fact, unpredictable. But on the whole the weather is relatively predictable in the short run (hey - it's probably going to snow in the northeast in 2-3 days) as well as in the long run (it's cold and snowy in January in North America and warm with thunderstorms in July and August). There's simply no good excuse for not having well-planned processes (with the supporting technology) for managing IRROPS.
I'm actually going to disagree with this. Comparing resourced needed to handle spike in say, holiday demand at Amazon, which occurs on predictable timeframe, and IRROPS due to a nearly unprecedented weather situation (seriously - when was the last time you saw a weather waiver that spanned multiple hubs and eight days?) is not fair.

United needs trained representatives to handle this sort of demand. How many of these people do you want to be sitting around the rest of the year just to offer lower hold times in case of severe weather? Also, how do we know that the system isn't working as designed? Let's say the hold times got to be 4 hours plus. What's better - having people sit on hold this time, or simply offering a busy signal which means - we're too busy to take your call!

I would actually much prefer getting kicked out with a busy signal than sitting on hold for hours on end with no actual certainty you'll ever get through.

And by the way, even Amazon didn't meet their forecasted demand. UPS couldn't handle the volume of orders and thus some delays in getting people their packages on time occurred.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
The united.com support number has maintained hold times of under 15 minutes throughout the weekend, and connects to very sharp agents in Manila and Pune.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
The united.com support number has maintained hold times of under 15 minutes throughout the weekend, and connects to very sharp agents in Manila and Pune.
That number was quoting me 3 minute hold times on Saturday evening. I gave up after 25 cause it wasn't urgent. When I called back it was quoting me 60.

Was better on Sunday morning but not until about 7am EST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.