Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier Phone Line Delays During Current Winter Storm IROPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier Phone Line Delays During Current Winter Storm IROPS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Side note: Hertz and SPG both picked up within 5 min, fully rescheduled, no penalty and real humans to talk to, while UA system auto-put me on new flight to arrive 30 hours later than scheduled. This between Phoenix and Houston direct. Just gonna burn through the miles from here on out, this is not a serious airline, might as well plat on another *A like Thai. I miss CO.......
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by username
Looking at some of the comments here, I can see why some at UA call some elites over-entitled. We are experience crazy weather at multiple hubs for days, it is totally understandable.
Not really, it is called competent management (or in this case, lack thereof). You anticipate demand, and react accordingly.

Amazon tests servers to ensure they don't crash on cyber Monday (or whatever the busiest day is)

New stadiums test bathroom flushing simultaneously to simulate halftime

Retailers hire extra help and require all hands on deck for Black Friday

Airlines - know in advance there will be peak demand yet don't upgrade telecom or assign additional resources

The reason there is so much regulation of airlines is that management is incapable of meeting basic customer service needs. Proven yet again.

To be fair this is not only a UA issue, WN is known for better service (at least on the phone) and is experiencing similar issues. But then again WN does not have 1Ks or GS.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: CX Gold
I experienced this too. As a lowly Premier Gold, I did not rely on the phone system, but rather directly drove to the airport (Austin) for help. It turns out that the United counter has opened two lanes specifically for "flight cancellations", which I've never seen before. It was about 8pm, and several people had been waiting in line due to the cancellation of tomorrow's first flight to IAH.

It took me one hour to get to the front of the line. Luckily I could still get to my destination within the same day. I strongly feel that it is nice to have a small hometown airport, in case the phone reservation system is down.

By the way, the rebooked flights were all in Y class

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 5, 2014 at 7:12 am Reason: since you are not GS, please do not post in the GS thread
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:48 am

Just noting that I finally gave up after 3 hours and 15 minutes on hold.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:42 am

Went online last night and changed my flights (MR) for 1/7 for an extra fee of $14.00. (NO change fee due to the weather waiver). Now flying in March instead. Only one hitch--My RPU dropped and went into a black hole somewhere. First call to MP got me the Philippines in about 10 mins. HUACA to the 1K line and waited on hold for about 13/15 mins to get my RPU back- Took about 3 mins and then I applied it to the March itin.

Considering that this is a major storm, I DO NOT HOLD UAL responsible for causing it, nor do I feel that I need to bad mouth these employees that are busting their butts to get as many folks where they want to go. I'm sure that many employees have been called in on OT to help out, but some people can't handle any inconvenience especially if it is out of the norm.

i.e. --- Lots of people are trying to get on planes at the same time when flights have been cancelled for several days, and they are NOT picking on any one individual.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
I've been on hold for 5:41 currently since getting a call that my flight Monday was cancelled at 11 PM CST. I live in Chicago, so I obviously get it ... there's been bad weather, but I don't think there's an excuse for a 6 hour wait on the "Premier" line (Platinum for what that matters ). This is really frustrating obviously.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by rbogner
I've been on hold for 5:41 currently since getting a call that my flight Monday was cancelled at 11 PM CST. I live in Chicago, so I obviously get it ... there's been bad weather, but I don't think there's an excuse for a 6 hour wait on the "Premier" line (Platinum for what that matters ). This is really frustrating obviously.
I got through to United.com support (800-396-1751) in a bout 2 minutes right now and it was from a number I don't have registered with me, and they didd't ask for my MP#, so this was as a general member. Not sure if that will work for you.

Last night the holds to this number were over an hour.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Too bad United hasn't yet jumped on this (quite timely)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-onboard.html

But that would require an *investment*...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had a leg in my trip to FLL canceled, it was den to iah cancelled, but then the auto rebook was 28 hrs later with one leg still leaving today.. Anyways gave up last night after 2hrs on the premier line and thought I could call before my first leg scheduled this morn...well still holding for 1hr...worst part if I remember right Shares will delete my whole res now that I have missed the first leg. I didn't want to take it and get stuck in den for 28 hrs... I never remember IRROPS like this.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Went online last night and changed my flights (MR) for 1/7 for an extra fee of $14.00. (NO change fee due to the weather waiver). Now flying in March instead. Only one hitch--My RPU dropped and went into a black hole somewhere. First call to MP got me the Philippines in about 10 mins. HUACA to the 1K line and waited on hold for about 13/15 mins to get my RPU back- Took about 3 mins and then I applied it to the March itin.

Considering that this is a major storm, I DO NOT HOLD UAL responsible for causing it, nor do I feel that I need to bad mouth these employees that are busting their butts to get as many folks where they want to go. I'm sure that many employees have been called in on OT to help out, but some people can't handle any inconvenience especially if it is out of the norm.

i.e. --- Lots of people are trying to get on planes at the same time when flights have been cancelled for several days, and they are NOT picking on any one individual.
Calling now for a redeposit of a RPU for a MR? Serious?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:14 am
mx2

2h 10min wait and still counting, as a Gold. I'm trying to book an award ticket that I can't book online. Annoying. I need to make a decision about the ticket today or tomorrow.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Calling now for a redeposit of a RPU for a MR? Serious?
Took the 1k agent (Not MP -that got me through to the Philippines) all of 3 mins to getter-dun after a 15 min hold to speak to to her.
Piece-o-cake!!!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
took my friend over 2 hours with UA and finally gave up. Then, I had to call DL about a non critical event. I was offered the option of a call back as soon as my place in the queue came around. I opted for this and got a call back in 4 minutes. Does UA have this call back feature yet?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
I don't want to start a PMCO/PMUA tussle, but back when the merger was first announced I started flying CO more regularly particularly EWR-SFO. During weather I often got a straight up message followed by a click and disconnect. No hold, nothing. Just a click to disconnect. Sounds about right it happens now.

+1

I did the same thing and my first CO flight was cxl and I couldn't get put on hold; just a message and a disconnect. That was the start of my well-founded fears. This call center issue is "old school" CO.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:42 am

After my 3-hour on-hold time last night, after which I gave up, I tried again this morning. Only half an hour before I got an agent on the line. I could hardly understand her English, but I'm delighted to hear her. I say, "I need to reschedule my canceled flights." She says, "Reschedule flights? This is a number where you can do that, if you want me to do that." As if she's not normally on this line, maybe? Anyway she seems hesitant.

I give her my confirmation number and she says, "Grand Rapids to Kansas City, right?" No, my reservation has nothing to do with either place. "Oh," she says, and suddenly I was back on hold again and have been for another 15 minutes. I think I've lost that agent. WTH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.