Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier Phone Line Delays During Current Winter Storm IROPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier Phone Line Delays During Current Winter Storm IROPS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rockrich
My flight SJU SFO cancelled. No rebook attempt. After 3 h hold I was offered rebook in one week from original date. Deplorable service.
ditto - and the website and app have been absolutely useless. Found out yesterday my LAX-LAS for tomorrow was cancelled. No mention in my res online and when I tried to change the flights online it wanted to charge me fare difference plus change fee. No autorebookings have been taking place from what I've noticed.

Pushing the hour mark on hold for the 1K desk...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by username
Looking at some of the comments here, I can see why some at UA call some elites over-entitled. We are experience crazy weather at multiple hubs for days, it is totally understandable.
Um... is it "over-entitled" to expect a call answered within two or three hours on hold? To expect not just cancellations, but rebooking? Is the following ever acceptable?

Originally Posted by geoggirl
Since Friday, I have spent 9 1/2 hours rescheduling my flight into GRB, tracking down my lost luggage and now trying to reschedule flight home...

The physical line in ORD was 3 1/2 hours on Friday... There were four agents to service a few hundred people.
It's not acceptable. Yes, there's bad weather -- nobody expects perfection. But this is third world. This is collapse. UA has made a conscious decision to fold during serious irrops. Like not bothering to try for better than 80% OT, because it's too expensive, they're not bothering to be even minimally responsive amid serious weather -- because bringing spike-demand resources online is apparently also too expensive.

You could rationalize this epic fail if everyone else were in the same boat. But...

Originally Posted by Powers106
Hertz and SPG both picked up within 5 min, fully rescheduled...
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I had to call DL about a non critical event. I was offered the option of a call back as soon as my place in the queue came around. I opted for this and got a call back in 4 minutes.
United Airlines is not even in the game. This is what a company in a tailspin trying to shed another $2 billion in costs looks like.

Smisek's not answering phones himself. He's in a bubble somewhere being told everything's great.

Shameful. Incompetent and shameful.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG
My boyfriend (a lowly silver), sat on hold for SIX HOURS last night before being disconnected. That is absolutely appalling and completely unacceptable. I get that weather happens, but when it does, you STAFF UP. I'm seriously livid. We had to sit there watching flights fill up for days out as United doesn't give us the tools to work this out on our own. Totally ridiculous.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Calling now for a redeposit of a RPU for a MR? Serious?
I don't fault people for calling for things that they cannot do online. People have all sorts of reasons for travel, and they've earned the right to use their instruments. If they didn't call now, someone else could snap up that space and they could be SOL.

I had to call because I had changed an award trip using partners so much that it just seemed so screwed up all around. I canceled it, but it says it required "special handling" in order to get the miles refunded so I could rebook it from scratch. The trip is not until September, but I knew there were exactly 2 seats left on Thai for one leg, and this is my honeymoon, so I didn't want it screwed up.

The fact that UA systems cannot handle this excess call volume is the fault of UA, not those calling for whatever reason they need.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dabears1020
My boyfriend (a lowly silver), sat on hold for SIX HOURS last night before being disconnected. That is absolutely appalling and completely unacceptable. I get that weather happens, but when it does, you STAFF UP.
They can't. They cashiered all those people. Welcome to the Comcast of the sky. You'll take what little service we give you, and you'll like it.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by BearX220
They can't. They cashiered all those people. Welcome to the Comcast of the sky. You'll take what little service we give you, and you'll like it.
What a joke. He's faxing status match papers to Alaska as we speak.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
I had to call back to the 1K line several times just now, but when I finally got through, I was on hold less than 5 minutes.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: 1K 2MM
Um... is it "over-entitled" to expect a call answered within two or three hours on hold? To expect not just cancellations, but rebooking? Is the following ever acceptable?

It's not acceptable. Yes, there's bad weather -- nobody expects perfection. But this is third world. This is collapse. UA has made a conscious decision to fold during serious irrops. Like not bothering to try for better than 80% OT, because it's too expensive, they're not bothering to be even minimally responsive amid serious weather -- because bringing spike-demand resources online is apparently also too expensive.

You could rationalize this epic fail if everyone else were in the same boat. But...

United Airlines is not even in the game. This is what a company in a tailspin trying to shed another $2 billion in costs looks like.

Smisek's not answering phones himself. He's in a bubble somewhere being told everything's great.

Shameful. Incompetent and shameful.
It's at times like these that I recall the wonderful 2012 quote:

"Our chief executive characterises us as 'an IT company with wings'," says Continental managing director for IT Services Bill Miller.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I said SOME Such as:
On hold for 15m since pressing "0" - so much for 1K priority. Yet another perk bites the dust.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:07 pm

Depending on where you live, it may be faster and more pleasant to go to the airport and queue to see an agent in person. A friend of mine just did this re his travel tomorrow, though now he has the dreaded "! A modification has been made to your itinerary" out-of-sync message on his reservation, so he may have to go back to the airport to get another agent to properly re-ticket him....
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I was on hold for about an hour and finally got an agent, who basically told me something similar where my PDX-SFO-IAD flight today would be pushed back to Wednesday due to a cancellation of the PDX-SFO segment (really? I realize that there's no weather issues here and there are many reasons why this could happen, but still).

I tried for various options, even mentioned that I could do YVR/SEA/PDX/BLI to any DC or NYC airport and she told met that I would need to pay a difference in fare for changing either the origin or the destination (I know she's right, but still, it's frustrating). She said that her options were limited and I would be better off going to the airport to see if they can handle an even exchange, as she was able to get me on a direct flight on Wednesday.

At this point, I basically gave up and booked an award ticket with a different carrier and got the flights I needed and hope to just get a refund for my UA ticket when I go to the airport later tonight.

IRROPS is one of the reasons I have elite status. It adds insult to injury when you tell me things like "I've never spoken to so many million milers in my 26 years of working for the airline. Thanks for being a million miler" I'm thankful that you were able to get me on a direct flight 3 days from now and I know that there's a weather event where a lot of the system is out, but that doesn't really make me feel great about the interaction after being on hold for an hour. I don't even want to know what the interaction is for someone with no status.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The 1K MileagePlus Service Center is picking up immediately.

[elite, unpublished no. edited by Moderator per FT Rules]

They can't help with reservations though. But she claimed she could 'try to get you through' if it was urgent.
Is that prefix 756 number or a different one? Because the former one simply connects to the reservations line where we've all been waiting for service.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold (Million Miler), Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond Lifetime
answered on 1K line after 45 minute wait in the queue.....
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Got through in <8 minutes as Platinum. This after a total of at least 7 hours on hold/disconnected the past day.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was on hold at the GS line for over half an hour, then gave up, as I found an agent at the airport who was very helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.