Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
To eat or not to eat

In first for UA 275 ORD-LAS tomorrow, says Dinner.

Should I eat before I get on the plane? Should I have high expectations lol?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bcard519

As usual, my typical guidance is, you won't get a meal, but instead "some food". Lower your expectations, and maybe pre-supplement. I'd do Tortas Frontera myself!!! Better than the 7-Eleven quality food you'll get on board.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bcard519

Hamburger or salad. Both with soup.

Could be worse.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
I got the burger/shrimp salad options last time on this flight
Originally Posted by totmode
Not sure if it is the same on the 4:08PM flight, for the past three Mondays and most recently yesterday, dinner on the 4:59PM EWR-ORD was a choice of angus burger or chicken salad with french onion soup and a chocolate chip cookie after dinner. What is weird is that only the first person received condiments with his burger while all others had burger without condiments. When asked, the flight attendant said she didn't have any...
Appreciated, thanks. Are the wines generally decent (I don't expect anything fancy)?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by bdlman
EWR to YUL, YOW, and YYZ are true up and down flights no time for snack service or meal. I would say a good percentage of the flights spend more time on the ground waiting to take off from EWR than actually in the air.
They could serve a meal if they wanted to. Here is a meal that I received on Air Canada from YYZ-EWR on an E-175

http://www.flickr.com/photos/115222253@N05/12096597313/

For some reason the pic wouldn't work so I added a link to the photo. Sorry - this was my first attempt to add a pic. I guess I failed!!

Last edited by Chiro1979; Jan 22, 2014 at 9:11 pm Reason: Added link
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
and the cuts continue

Latest changes happening next month:
-GUMHNL basically gets downgraded service similar to domestic (bye bye appetizers, fruit/cheese, etc)
-Yogurt cups replace the ramekin....can you tell where this is going????
-Appetizer (salmon or bay shrimp) gets eliminated (or tied to yogurt ramekin disappearing)

Not to say that I am surprised, but what more can the cut? At this point just eliminate the entire meal concept and just give free BOB in F. It would be a better offering.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
A banana for dinner? Really? Seriously?

I took UA 1136 ORD-IAH last night. The flight was scheduled for 9 P.M., left close to 10 P.M. due to de-icing. I was booked on an earlier flight, but my connector out of SPI was badly delayed due weather conditions in Illinois yesterday.

What was the meal service? A banana. I can't make this up.

A banana for the first-class meal? Maybe if I were a chimpanzee or orangutan this would be great, but I come from a higher member of the primate family.

And then UA wonders why no one will pay for first class anymore. Sorry, I am not going to pay hundreds of dollars for an upgrade, just to dine on a banana. No thank you.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Latest changes happening next month:
-GUMHNL basically gets downgraded service similar to domestic (bye bye appetizers, fruit/cheese, etc)
-Yogurt cups replace the ramekin....can you tell where this is going????
-Appetizer (salmon or bay shrimp) gets eliminated (or tied to yogurt ramekin disappearing)

Not to say that I am surprised, but what more can the cut? At this point just eliminate the entire meal concept and just give free BOB in F. It would be a better offering.
While I'll chalk the yogurt in ramekin being swapped to a yogurt cup as trivial in the long run, the loss of the appetizer is big. This is just getting worse and worse. I know they have $2B in cuts to achieve, but you don't do that at the expense of potentially driving away customers. It's just going to make that huge tray look even more embarrassing when the ratio of tray to food is distorted.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Lol. What a joke. More meal cuts? Honestly. Enough with the pretenses. This airline sucks.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LEONIDES

A banana for the first-class meal? Maybe if I were a chimpanzee or orangutan this would be great, but I come from a higher member of the primate family.
New F cabin catering strategy :

Treat 'em like chumps; feed 'em like chimps.

Last edited by transportprof; Jan 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:32 pm

Instead of complaints to UA CS or postings here, perhaps a letter or email to UA's Corporate Chefs (not the Celebrity Chefs) might be an effective avenue for voicing opinions about UA's culinary offerings. Presumably these folks have some professional pride in their work and likely receive little feedback from the passengers they are feeding. Their names can be found under inflight services/inflight dining at UA.com.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
Instead of complaints to UA CS or postings here, perhaps a letter or email to UA's Corporate Chefs (not the Celebrity Chefs) might be an effective avenue for voicing opinions about UA's culinary offerings. Presumably these folks have some professional pride in their work and likely receive little feedback from the passengers they are feeding. Their names can be found under inflight services/inflight dining at UA.com.
I see where you're coming from, but again, don't think this will do anything. I actually feel bad for them as I'm sure they have to to make a VERY miniscule budget go as far as possible.

Ultimately, this is some bean counter's idea as a way to cut costs. Starts with simple things like 'we can shave $0.10 from every F meal going from yogurt in a ramekin to packaged yogurt.' Multiply that by how many meals are catered daily, and voila, you have cost savings. Same thing about how much they saved shifting from whole cashews to cashew halves. It's getting pretty sad at this point. And for the life of me, I can't understand how they justify this, when they are in no way being competitive with other airlines.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

I can't think of one cut that hasn't come from premium product.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
As usual, my typical guidance is, you won't get a meal, but instead "some food". Lower your expectations, and maybe pre-supplement. I'd do Tortas Frontera myself!!! Better than the 7-Eleven quality food you'll get on board.
^^^^
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by demkr

I can't think of one cut that hasn't come from premium product.
No more free beer/wine on TPAC routes in economy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.