Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Give me a break - catering on the Hawaii flights is pretty pathetic. I recently flew ORD-HNL and was served the most pathetic "chicken catciatorre" with a tiny salad and sundae (the best part of the meal) and salad prior to landing. On the return, HNL-EWR, I slept through the first snack (as I'm sure many do) and then had the pathetic McMuffin - seriously it was half the size of a McDonald's McMuffin (I was shocked) - esp since the flight lands at around noon. Additionally, the service on the return was awful - no juice offered at all with the breakfast and coffee came after they cleared the trays.

If you want a reasonable meal, either fly another airline or wait till you got off the plane.
I have read other reports on the HNL-EWR flight that most people seem to sleep right after take off, I would think the breakfast meal would be a nice one since most people would be awake at this time. Service the McJeff in or ceral in back, but have a much higher standard breakfast meal up front... Oh that is right we are talking about UA....
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by entropy
I agree, 1 and 3. But United doesn't seem to understand that, while companies do have contracts, at the end of the day, the feedback in these big companies may be that UA's product in F sucks so much, they decide to forbid paying for it.

I cannot imagine that would cost much more to provide an edible meal. When Larry was running CO, there was actually a situation where the catering department decided to save money and cheapen the wine in J, that change was reversed by upper management saying that they provide a budget for J to provide a quality experience.

The difference now is that they do not care about providing that experience, only the cost.
Funny -- Larry also secretly cut Sundaes for a while on EWR-HNL until HVF's started writing in and complaining. And then they were brought back.

CO had their secret cheapness in place. It's in Smisek's blood.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flight/Route: UA1733/DEN-LAX
Date: January 23, 2014
Aircraft/Seat: 737-800/1A
Departure Time/Duration: 2:26 p.m./2:27
Meal: Lunch

Another couple of Denver-West Coast lunch flights; as least DEN-LAX still gets meals, unlike SNA and SAN.

Nuts and red wine to start; I usually don't like bulkheads, but the sCO aircraft seem to be a bit more generous with the legroom.

A choice of the shrimp salad or the "Parmesan chicken wrap." Easy choice as the wrap is pathetic.

The shrimp seem to have been exiled to a small container on the side. Once I assembled the salad it was quite tasty.

Tomato bisque with croutons; I like them better in the soup than on the salad. The bisque was delicious.

Oatmeal-raisin cookies were served after the meal.

Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:38 am

Flight/Route: UA1043/LAX-DEN
Date: January 26, 2014
Aircraft/Seat: 757-300/4B
Departure Time/Duration: 11:10 a.m./2:17

Really good service on this short flight; the two-man crew dispatched lunch like clockwork. Red wine and nuts to begin.

The red wine was the 2012 Astica Malbec, cheap but actually pretty drinkable.

Lunch choice: cheeseburger or chicken salad. The salad looked OK but I like the cheeseburger; once I scraped the melted cheese onto the bun and added the condiments it was quite satisfying. Soup was the chicken tortilla, which was good as well.

Chocolate-chip cookies were offered after lunch.

Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
You do know how to make a UA meal look good!

PMUA used to nicely vary the salads--I think we get shrimp far too often and only once in a while the grimy chicken. The steak salad at UA was actually pretty darn good. So was the club(?) salad. And the shrimp/bacon salad was not bad either.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:18 pm

It does seem like UA is stuck in a rut. Shrimp salad, chicken salad, chicken "wrap," cheeseburger. Tomato bisque, mushroom bisque, tortilla soup, French onion soup. Since the alternative is probably another cutback, I shouldn't complain too loudly
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I was flying yesterday PHX EWR in the bulkhead aisle, and my heart went out to those in F subject to the CALZONE thing, for about the 3rd year in a row.

I enjoyed the warmed roast beef sandwich, and the brownie brittle which while not fantastic, is leagues above what is served in F. And I had my food and drinks before they had theirs!

Upon boarding, some obnoxious lady made some scene regarding overhead compartments, sahing how "She was in FIRST CLASS".......how sad. She apparently hasn't flown UA in F. I hope she enjoyed her 7/11 hot pocket.

It's beyond my comprehension how they cannot come up with anything new to serve. Just simply amazing the lack of any decent leadership.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Flight/Route: UA1639/EWR-ORD
Aircraft: 737-900
Departure Time/Duration: 7:59 a.m.
Meal: Breakfast

I was surprised to still see a meal service on this route...though not at all surprised by the same old meal choices.

PDB of choice

Drink service

Choice of sausage egg sandwich or honey nut cheerios

Cinnamon roll served toward the end of the meal service

Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Um that sausage looks questionable....well actually so does the egg. Wow even McDonalds can make Jeff McMuffins look better

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 11, 2014 at 6:54 pm Reason: image removal
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Flight/Route: UA1639/EWR-ORD
Aircraft: 737-900
Departure Time/Duration: 7:59 a.m.
Meal: Breakfast

I was surprised to still see a meal service on this route...though not at all surprised by the same old meal choices.

PDB of choice

Drink service

Cinnamon roll served toward the end of the meal service
Here's what .bomb says about meals on that route:

220–899 miles
(Approximately 1–2.5 hours) Warmed, all-natural breakfast scones or a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit

Note: United will serve meals or snacks on flights longer than 700 miles in the following markets:

Chicago O'Hare to/from Boston, Denver, New York LaGuardia and New York/Newark
Denver to/from Houston Intercontinental and Los Angeles

We had the same choice of mcmuffin or honey nut cheerios this morning on UA 206 ORD-MCO, though the FA also offered a "continental breakfast" (as in Europe, not sCO) of the fruit and yogurt and cinnamon roll or croissant. A little creativity to make the other choices spread farther.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Quote: though the FA also offered a "continental breakfast" (as in Europe, not sCO) of the fruit and yogurt and cinnamon roll or croissant. A little creativity to make the other choices spread farther.
Well seeing as the "continental breakfast" offering was nothing more than assembling items from each existing tray setup, I would either chalk this up to an FA hoping to score leftover/extra Jeff McMuffins and/or cereal for the rest of the crew or an effort to make it seem like there are really 3 meals choices instead of the crummy 2 on offer.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Flight/Route: UA484/DEN-DCA
Aircraft: 757
Departure Time/Duration: 10:26 AM/2h42m

PDBs were offered and orders taken in rows 1 and 2, then row 6, and then rows 3-5. Choice of garden salad with shrimp or chicken hot pocket. No mention of tomato soup when orders taken.

Oatmeal raisin cookies were passed out after trays were picked up.

Last edited by TWA Guy; Feb 3, 2014 at 7:30 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I've still never had an UA cheeseburger.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Kurt

Lunch choice: cheeseburger or chicken salad. The salad looked OK but I like the cheeseburger; once I scraped the melted cheese onto the bun and added the condiments it was quite satisfying. Soup was the chicken tortilla, which was good as well
I had the cheeseburger a couple of weeks ago San Francisco-ORD and it was not bad.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 11, 2014 at 6:55 pm Reason: image removal
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
A warmed up scone. Nothing else.
Same as my morning YVR - SFO flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.