Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Mats
Furthermore, if these first class passengers are buying their own food at the airport, this is on the employer's expense account. It they're spending... say... $15 each way at the airport, the $30 per ticket difference could be saved by flying on Delta or American.
Not all F pax are traveling on business.

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I see where you're coming from, but again, don't think this will do anything. I actually feel bad for them as I'm sure they have to to make a VERY miniscule budget go as far as possible.

Ultimately, this is some bean counter's idea as a way to cut costs. Starts with simple things like 'we can shave $0.10 from every F meal going from yogurt in a ramekin to packaged yogurt.' Multiply that by how many meals are catered daily, and voila, you have cost savings. Same thing about how much they saved shifting from whole cashews to cashew halves. It's getting pretty sad at this point. And for the life of me, I can't understand how they justify this, when they are in no way being competitive with other airlines.
United doesn't care about competition. It cares about squeezing the wallets of hub captives at SFO, IAH, ORD, DEN, and IAD.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 6, 2014 at 7:36 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
IAD-SFO, 17:35 flight. Aircraft was a 767-400.

Choice of pre-departure drinks.

Warm nuts. Dinner choices were chicken cacciatore or pasta.
I have no status at this point, upgraded with miles and got my first choice, the chicken. It came with green beans and carrots. Veggies were decent to good, not mushy/overcooked. Chicken was moist but lukewarm. Gnocchi were vile, totally inedible. A mixed greens salad with one olive and one tomato slice and that one salad dressing that they have.

Dessert was the sundae cart.

The FA was clearly uninterested in her job. Had to come back and reask me about what I ordered twice, and didn't bother to bring me water written I asked for it.

I slept through any snack, but saw my seatmate had a toblerone wrapper and a gkass of water.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Did United corner the market on Honey Dijon dressing?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dkmatter
Better than the buttermilk ranch any day, IMO.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by dkmatter
Ha! I thought all they served was that green goddess like dressing. It's all I've ever gotten....didn't know honey Dijon was an option!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by big V

I have no status at this point, upgraded with miles and got my first choice, the chicken. It came with green beans and carrots. Veggies were decent to good, not mushy/overcooked. Chicken was moist but lukewarm. Gnocchi were vile, totally inedible. A mixed greens salad with one olive and one tomato slice and that one salad dressing that they have.

The FA was clearly uninterested in her job. Had to come back and reask me about what I ordered twice, and didn't bother to bring me water written I asked for it.

I slept through any snack, but saw my seatmate had a toblerone wrapper and a gkass of water.
Consider yourself lucky that this was on a 764 at least. IAD-SFO usually sees the same level of service you describe but these days it's almost exclusively on a 738 or 739. I'd be happy with surly service if I also got a lie-flat seat on this transcon
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Has anyone seen the yogurt switch to the "cup" from the ramekin?
I haven't seen a posting about it and someone who works in catering has indicated they have no knowledge of the change.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
IAH-SEA 1732 (Lunch)
FA took orders front to back, got the choice of a cheese burger with french onion soup (she made a point of saying the soup didn't have cheese) and the option of chicken salad.

She told everyone that she'll try her best to give us our first choice. I was in 4F
I heard her talking to the people behind me. the passenger said "I guess we're last"

Last edited by eng3; Feb 11, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
UA219 1/1/14 ORD - HNL
Lunch
B772
1015-1526

Pretty uneventful flight. PDBs/hot towels/warm nuts were offered and meal service started shortly after takeoff. I don't recall a choice being offered, but the food was good. FAs were nice and I was only bummed that I was top of the list for a CPU from J to F, but one seat was blocked off for the pilot which made the F cabin full.

Empty warm nuts container with some of the saddest shrimp I have ever seen

Beef, potatoes, and broccoli. Good, but nothing special.

I always have room for a sundae!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by big V

Flew IAD-SFO last night on the 17:38 flight. Aircraft was a 757-300 with Directv.

Similar dinner options. I picked the spinach pasta. A little undercooked but tasty otherwise.

Very attentive and friendly flight crew.

The only disappointment was the lack of a shrimp or salmon appetizer! Looks like part of UA's $2 billion in cuts.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Silver

CUN-EWR business on a 737-8, last minute CPU after someone turned it down to sit with his family.
  • Choice of pre-departure drinks
  • Warm nuts
  • Lunch choices were pasta with spinach or roast beef.
  • Salad w/ a nice little bottle of balsamic vinagrette
  • Some kinda tiny shrimp appetizer... Ceviche?
  • Roll with butter
  • brownie

I got the roast beef and it was served with some kinda... mashed something, broccoli, and carrots. I wasn't hungry at the airport, so I skipped lunch then, glad I was upgraded b/c I ended up finishing it all.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dble00dumb

CUN-EWR business on a 737-8, last minute CPU after someone turned it down to sit with his family.
  • Choice of pre-departure drinks
  • Warm nuts
  • Lunch choices were pasta with spinach or roast beef.
  • Salad w/ a nice little bottle of balsamic vinagrette
  • Some kinda tiny shrimp appetizer... Ceviche?
  • Roll with butter
  • brownie

I got the roast beef and it was served with some kinda... mashed something, broccoli, and carrots. I wasn't hungry at the airport, so I skipped lunch then, glad I was upgraded b/c I ended up finishing it all.
I assumed incorrectly that CUN was part of international catering (I think it gets lumped into what UA calls beach markets) but they must have downgraded to the domestic offering....although the difference being they offer an appetizer and bottled dressing.

Still serving the same thing going on 2 years! What I find most interesting is, despite all the FT complaints about the only tangible improvements seem to be in Y, now I've noticed FA's submitting these questions to management as to when an upgrade or new options will be coming without any real answers.

Maybe if enough noise is heard someone will finally wake up and do something about trying to improve the product.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 11, 2014 at 6:52 pm Reason: image removal
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^^^

OMG - had the tomato soup on a flight yesterday. It was the best tomato soup I have ever had! It had just the right amount of creamy taste, lots of stuff in it and not very salty. I have had it before but it has never been this good.

FA said it is known to be good and they make it from scratch. He also said he had toured their DEN kitchen and it was impressive.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA1075 SEA-SFO 9:24am Refreshments
No Warm Scone, just the refreshment basket

UA552 SFO-PHL A319 Dinner
I think orders were taken by status, but hard to tell with only 8 seats. Seemed like back to front, but I know he specifically took my order before my neighbor, then eventually got back to her and only offered the pasta or something from the economy menu

Started with a hot towel then nuts in a Warm Ramekin (nuts were cold). Was even offered a second helping of cold nuts.

Was offered Chicken or Pasta. Pasta looked really bad. Chicken was ok. Beans tasted dry.

For some reason, everything was served from a tray where I had to take it off the tray and put it on my table. (drinks, nuts, sundae, sundae fixings). It was a little weird trying to get one of every sundae fixing onto my sundae without making a mess.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
EWR-LAX vs PS JFK-LAX BusinessFirst dinner meal.

What expectations should I have for Newark transcons to LAX? I just scanned this forum and got depressed at how unappetizing and sad the UA meals look. I moved our business to AA after the merger and have not experienced UA in ages. I think I am spoiled on AA in comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.