Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wow...that salad looks tiny. Is that just an optical illusion?

Looks like it is served in the little salt/butter/enchilada sauce bowl.

Oh, and congrats on 3 Million Miles. Quite a bit of flying....
It's a 6" diameter bowl.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
3/17 p.s. 502 SFO 4:36pm - JFK 1:00am

Only 15 people were in Business, very attentive service & makes me think everyone got their first choice.
I was surprised there was a decent amount (and good) prosciutto. The spice rubbed chicken actually had some spice/kick to it and I really liked the pickled cabbage.

The snack basket was brought around as we were making our approach and told to bring everything upright (most of the cabin was passed out after the meal until then).
The BBQ chicken with fake kimchi is probably my favorite p.s. meal at the moment. Lots of good spicy flavor, and decent rice to soak up the sauce.

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
Flight/Route/Date: UA1699/SFO-PHL/Mar. 21, 2014
Aircraft/Seat: 737-800/First/2E
Departure Time/Duration: 11:02PM/4h33m
Meal: Snack

FA asked me if I would like a deli plate. I said yes. This is what I got.

Doesn't look like a deli plate to me but it wasn't too bad. Warm scone on arrival.
That looks like the vegetarian/low-fat snack off the special meals menu.

Originally Posted by Kurt
If they had a clue, they would serve something like this along with the chicken "bouquet," "calzone" or whatever it is called:

Or any number of other veggie-based salads could work. But the creativity level is zero, so no-go (not to mention the extra few cents it would add to the bottom line).
Believe it or not, the amount of veggies in the recipe probably push the cost greater than the amount of meat they serve.

Originally Posted by rebech34
Not sure if this was discussed in the past, but I have to take it off my chest: Why for the love of mike, does UA keep on adding S&P to each breakfast tray, even when the tray consists of fruit, yogurt and Cheerios with Milk? I would assume that by not serving those in meals that DO NOT need S&P, UA can easily save a few hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

like I said - had to get it off my chest...

R
Some people order the egg dish, which will require S&P. There may be others who like salt in their yogurt - don't judge.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
A little salt on a slice of watermelon enhances the sweetness, IMHO.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kurt
A little salt on a slice of watermelon enhances the sweetness, IMHO.
Similar to the melon with the prosciutto.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I reported in the special meals thread but thought I would add to this thread that EWR-LAX/SFO will transition from PS equivalent catering to the standard transcon catering effective APR 1.

I have to hold hope that this means that standard catering will improve at some point right?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I reported in the special meals thread but thought I would add to this thread that EWR-LAX/SFO will transition from PS equivalent catering to the standard transcon catering effective APR 1.

I have to hold hope that this means that standard catering will improve at some point right?
Not happy about this. Another reason to hate EWR transcons
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
DEN-LAX
United 781
A320
10:05A-11:37A (sked)
10:05A-11:20A (actual)
March 29, 2014
Lunch

I'm not a big United fan, but I give them props today. One time departure, early arrival and one of the best domestic FAs of the year, DEN-based Connie. She's been doing this for a long time and unlike other bored senior FAs, seemed to love her job. Wow, what a refreshing change to the usual domestic crews. Wifi? Unfortunately, it was like watching grass grow compared to gogo.

Lunch today was a choice of... surprise, surprise... shrimp salad or chicken wrap, with cream of mushroom soup. Unlike AA which has great variety and great catering, UA pax are not so lucky. Mrs. SFO passed on lunch deciding to wait for the Star Alliance FCL at LAX. I took one for the team and chose the chicken wrap. Can this presentation be any uglier??

Looks a lot better when you dig inside and peel away to wrap. Heads will roll at catering on Monday when someone discovers they used at least two ounces of chicken in each wrap. Not bad without the wrap, especially with chipotle sauce.

White chocolate and cranberry cookie.

UA catering? Meh. Wifi? Meh. But service today was outstanding.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
DEN-LAX
United 781
A320
10:05A-11:37A (sked)
10:05A-11:20A (actual)
March 29, 2014
Lunch

I'm not a big United fan, but I give them props today.
United seems to stop changing its menu (both domestic and international). It is the same tiring choices, but more importantly the quality of food and ingredients have also been deteriorated.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Working on a trip report; I'd forgotten about this flight among the many nicer meals I had on EVA Air, Thai and All Nippon.

Flight/Route/Date: UA1727/DEN-SFO/Feb. 28, 2014
Aircraft/Seat: 737-800/2E
Departure Time/Duration: 11:10 a.m./2:47
Meal: Lunch

Nuts and red wine to start.

Chicken salad or chicken wrap. The reduction in the amount of chicken served is pretty obvious.

Not bad once assembled with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

French onion soup with croutons.

The wrap in all its pasty glory.

Oatmeal-raisin cookies to finish. Nice, professional service from the youngish Denver-based crew.

Last edited by Kurt; Apr 5, 2014 at 8:26 am
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
March
B757 F
BOS-SFO
Breakfast

Swiss cheese omelet, cheddar potato gratin (non-broccoli version), turkey sausage, and tomato garnish with croissant or Cinnamon roll, fruit bowl, and Yoplait honey Greek yogurt. Other choice of main was Honey Nut Cheerios and a banana, plus the side items. (Snack basket was also distributed about 2 hours before landing, then available in the galley.)

While basic, this was a decent breakfast selection. The eggs tasted more real than the hockey puck thing, and the "refreshed" yogurt is less sickly sweet than the old strawberry type. I also realized that the trick to avoid getting scalded by the cherry tomato is to cut it in half first.

Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I gotta say the cinnamon buns are always delish….happy they swapped yogurt but haven't been on a breakfast flight for a while.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA541
JFK-SFO

Boeing 757 P.S. BusinessFirst
Meal: Breakfast

Menu

French Toast

IFE and Power not working all flight. Wifi worked at least, was surprised to receive the UA appreciation email (for the inop IFE/power) shortly after take-off.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
UA1536 IAD-SFO
757-300
No Wifi/DTV
Dinner/Refreshments

Appetizer no longer served on non-PS transcons. Overentitlement!

Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA1006 BOG-IAH
Int'l 752
Dinner (red-eye)

No menu. The choices were beef or a fish/shrimp combination. I went for the fish. It was sloppily plated, cold, and basically inedible. Came with a green salad that was poorly shredded and had I think one black olive and one tomato wedge. Desert was a single foil wrapped truffle that looked as if it had been left in the sun all day.

Service was awful. Only exception was the purser, who turned out to be pretty pleasant. But she didn't show up front until after the dinner service.

Connecting to . . .

UA1276 IAH-LAX
Int'l 752
Breakfast

The standard horrible UA breakfast that I've seen at least 20 times over the past two years. I passed on everything.

Service was (again) awful.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 3, 2014 at 10:48 pm Reason: not going there
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Upcoming DEN-SEA trip, blocked at 2hr, 50 min and 1024 miles.

It is the 8:06pm departure so I am aware this is not within the 'traditional' meantime window for purpose of UA's policy.Wouldn't this then qualify for the snack plate as it is >900 miles?

On my itinerary, it is coded as 'refreshments'.

Anyone else able to provide a firsthand experience?

Also, FWIW, as much as the 'snack' is hated I don't mind it because I am vegetarian. The salty lunch meat aside, it provides me a decent snack similar to what I would eat home.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:38 am

My 6 recent/upcoming meal-eligible segments on UA, here's the offering (in order):

breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, snack, snack

I managed to avoid traditional meal times after breakfast.

Lucky me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.