Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
3/17 p.s. 502 SFO 4:36pm - JFK 1:00am

Only 15 people were in Business, very attentive service & makes me think everyone got their first choice.
I was surprised there was a decent amount (and good) prosciutto. The spice rubbed chicken actually had some spice/kick to it and I really liked the pickled cabbage.

The snack basket was brought around as we were making our approach and told to bring everything upright (most of the cabin was passed out after the meal until then).
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA15 EWR-HNL
Listed as Breakfast/Snack but it was delayed 6hrs departing at 3 so I think we got lunch or dinner. They did offer me a Flyer Friendly Tin amenity kit to help makeup for the delay.

Beef with Asian noodles: (or Pasta)
(not bad) although last time I had it, I think it had some sort of sauce with it. I ate the salad before taking the photo. no more shrimp appetizer although I don't like seafood

Sundae:

They brought the snack basket around too. Interesting they had Milano's eventhough I haven't seen them on other flights for a while and they took them out of the lounges.

Burger:
I was offered the burger but turned it down because I ate a burger at the airport already (They offered 3 $7 food vouchers for the delay). Asked for just the fruit.

Last edited by eng3; Mar 18, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA14 HNL-EWR 8pm

Steak: (or Pasta)
Worst steak I ever had, way overcooked. Captain asked the crew to sit down while they were preparing because of some heavy turbulence. They must have left the food in the oven for over an hour.

Sundae: I hoped that this would salvage the meal but they seem to have forgotten some of the toppings as I usually ask for everything and the people next to me got them. Oh well, glad I ate in HNL before the flight.

Jeff McMuffin: (no other choice, they just brought the tray to me)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Has anyone experienced a dinner salad in a plastic container? Yesterday, flying ex-TPA, the salad (to my surprise) came in a black plastic container and seemed noticeably larger then the usual salad in the bowl. Not sure if it was the crew not wanting to plate it (do they even have to plate it?) or a change in catering.

Either way, it seemed like a plus in terms of portion. Still need to work on diversifying the lettuce away from iceberg/romaine.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Has anyone experienced a dinner salad in a plastic container? Yesterday, flying ex-TPA, the salad (to my surprise) came in a black plastic container and seemed noticeably larger then the usual salad in the bowl. Not sure if it was the crew not wanting to plate it (do they even have to plate it?) or a change in catering.

Either way, it seemed like a plus in terms of portion. Still need to work on diversifying the lettuce away from iceberg/romaine.
TPA is an outstation and the meals are catered from where the plane came from (EWR/IAH/ORD...)They use these to save space and $.39 worth of fuel
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just booked SFO-IAH-CUN and back the same way.

SFO-IAH is 0600, IAH-SFO is 2059. I'm not expecting anything on the short IAH-CUN (or does UA serve meals on 2 hour flights?), but what can I expect on the others? I was hoping for something on the first page, but I don't really want to go through 20 pages.

My only comparison is Air Canada, where I would get an omelette/sausage plate on the morning flight, and a full dinner on the evening flight, but I've never flown UA in business/first/whatever-it's-called.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zoegksf
TPA is an outstation and the meals are catered from where the plane came from (EWR/IAH/ORD...)They use these to save space and $.39 worth of fuel
I don't think this is the reason, when I flew UA, and out of TPA, the salad was always in the proper container. In regards to catering, I beleive all flights out of TPA are catered since TPA was a catering station for CO.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I just booked SFO-IAH-CUN and back the same way.

SFO-IAH is 0600, IAH-SFO is 2059. I'm not expecting anything on the short IAH-CUN (or does UA serve meals on 2 hour flights?), but what can I expect on the others? I was hoping for something on the first page, but I don't really want to go through 20 pages.
You should get a breakfast on you outbound flight, nothing fancy, cereal and or McJeff sandwhich. Nothing to CUN.. Your flight back to SFO you might get a snack, basically eat in IAH and sleep the flight home.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 2014 at 7:21 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:44 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
DCA-IAH UA630
3/20 5:48pm Departure
Dinner

PDB
Chicken Cilantro Wrap or Shrimp Salad
Tomato Bisque Soup
Roll
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

IAH-DCA UA1059
3/22 4:47pm Departure
Dinner

PDB
Chicken Calzone or Shrimp Salad
Mushroom Soup
Roll
Cookie (Cranberry? maybe)

I had both the wrap and calzone, and all I can say is they were properly heated and edible. On par with late night food at 7-11.

As has been said before, the soup was the best of both meals. FA service was great on both flights. One observation was including the chipotle sauce with the calzone. Do they just include the same ramekin with butter and chipotle sauce for all wrap and calzone dishes?!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Flight/Route/Date: UA1699/SFO-PHL/Mar. 21, 2014
Aircraft/Seat: 737-800/First/2E
Departure Time/Duration: 11:02PM/4h33m
Meal: Snack

FA asked me if I would like a deli plate. I said yes. This is what I got.

Doesn't look like a deli plate to me but it wasn't too bad. Warm scone on arrival.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 1015 IAH-DCA, 3/24, 5:26 p.m. (delayed from 4:41)
Dinner

PDB
Warm nuts
Mushroom soup
Roll
Chicken calzone or shrimp salad
Oatmeal cranberry cookie, served warm

Positives: Friendly and frequent service did not leave my glass empty for long, and although I know I'm supposed to hate on the calzone, I thought it hit the spot. Negatives: The mushroom soup didn't do a lot for me (give me the tomato bisque any day), and having the butter for the roll presented in an empty bowl reminded me of where an appetizer used to go.

Note that this was the first time I've had an upgrade clear since October, so maybe that extra time in Y has lowered my expectations.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I love the all carb/starch meal...
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I too will miss the appatizer in domestic First. Actually, the salmon and tuna were the best part of the meal imho.

We're traveling EWR-MSY (1167 miles) in May on the 7:11pm departure. Our itinary says a snack, but I'm reading on this forum that we might get what they call "dinner." Which is more likely? Is 7:11pm still considdered "traditional meal time?"

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

Also, is the italian couscous and vegtable plate still the choise for most red-eye trans-cons? We'll be returning SEA-EWR

Note to avoid confusion: Taking Amtrak MSY-LAX-SEA
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408

Also, is the italian couscous and vegtable plate still the choise for most red-eye trans-cons? We'll be returning SEA-EWR

Note to avoid confusion: Taking Amtrak MSY-LAX-SEA
It comes and goes; other times the snack plate is this "southwestern" version with chicken (this was ORD-SAN last September).

I'm taking Amtrak DEN-ORD-WAS-BWI in August; coming back BWI-CLT-DEN on US. Kind of excited!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I love the all carb/starch meal...
Agreed; this menu is completely "tone deaf." A big slab of bread with cheese and chicken on it is offered with another piece of bread. Just clueless.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kurt
It comes and goes; other times the snack plate is this "southwestern" version with chicken (this was ORD-SAN last September).
This was the "snack" on my EWR-TPA flight the other night - a 7:40pm (aka, dinnertime), 1,000 mile flight...and this was it. No cookie either.

Glad I did Gallagher's ahead of time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.