Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
PS Lunch Flight

About a week ago on SFO-JFK

I did not make 3 million-miler on this flight. I went over 3 million on the flight (PEK-SFO) I was connecting from a few hours ago. It was nice to have a GS agent came on board to congratulated me.

I skipped the desert.

Overall, the PS meal was disappointing. I have been flying PS for about 6 years now, and the only thing improved in this period is the newly installed flat seats and IFE. In-flight catering has gone down the hill!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Mar 9, 2014 at 9:10 pm
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Lunch flight on LGA-ORD yesterday –.choice of shrimp salad or chicken wrap. I'm allergic to shrimp so the chicken wrap it was. What a disgusting sandwich - I honestly think there was one strip of chicken and the rest of the contents were truly indescribable. I don't know what they were. I feel like I could get a better wrap at a gas station. The mushroom soup was tasty, per usual, although it's hard to appreciate when there is so little. All options came with a roll and a cranberry/white chocolate cookie served directly on the tray.

Snack flight on ORD-FLL yesterday - mediterranean cold plate with salami, couscous and vegetables with an odd taste. The pretzels were the best part of the meal. I vent here, but people complained to the flight attendant about the quality of the meal onboard the airplane.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goldelite8
Lunch flight on LGA-ORD yesterday –.choice of shrimp salad or chicken wrap. I'm allergic to shrimp so the chicken wrap it was. What a disgusting sandwich - I honestly think there was one strip of chicken and the rest of the contents were truly indescribable.
This is the calzone basically, right? They should strip the word "wrap" out of these lunch descriptions, as they're a chicken calzone and a beef burrito...they're nothing near a "wrap" (which generally err on the side of being more healthy to boot).
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
About a week ago on SFO-JFK

Wow...that salad looks tiny. Is that just an optical illusion?

Looks like it is served in the little salt/butter/enchilada sauce bowl.

Oh, and congrats on 3 Million Miles. Quite a bit of flying....
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:26 am

I don't eat the domestic F meals anymore but try to grab a bite before or after the flight. I wouldn't eat a meal I didn't like elsewhere simply because it is "free" so why do it on an airplane?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This is the calzone basically, right? They should strip the word "wrap" out of these lunch descriptions, as they're a chicken calzone and a beef burrito...they're nothing near a "wrap" (which generally err on the side of being more healthy to boot).
This was not the calzone. It was chicken, unidentified "vegetables" (who knows what they were) and a cheese-like liquid that the bread was drenched in.

Originally Posted by goodeats21

It's not an optical illusion, but I do give major props to UA Flyer for the awesome pics! You make everything look delicious.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 9, 2014 at 1:39 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
UA Flyer- congrats on 3 million miles. That is very impressive, as your pictures always are. Most impressive is that you have flown those miles, and made over 8k in posts, without any of the complaining that so infests this board. Thank you for that!!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not an optical illusion, but I do give major props to UA Flyer for the awesome pics! You make everything look delicious.
I raised the question earlier whether AA flyers were better photographers or zoomed in more to make their food look better/bigger. While these UA photos look great and demonstrate the posters' photography/photoshop skills, they can certainly set the wrong expectation and lead to disappointment
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by username
I raised the question earlier whether AA flyers were better photographers or zoomed in more to make their food look better/bigger. While these UA photos look great and demonstrate the posters' photography/photoshop skills, they can certainly set the wrong expectation and lead to disappointment
No, AA's are really just better. Here's my *appetizer* salad LAX-OGG in Dec - it was more filling and higher quality than any of UA's *entree* salads.

Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:30 pm

HNL-IAD BF Menu Change

Took the flight March 9. FA told us recent change from appetizer platter to real meal. Choice was beef or pasta (gemelli with marinara sauce and spinach). Side salad, but no appetizer. Pasta was quite good. Overall excellent, attentive service.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
UA Flyer- congrats on 3 million miles. That is very impressive, as your pictures always are. Most impressive is that you have flown those miles, and made over 8k in posts, without any of the complaining that so infests this board. Thank you for that!!

Originally Posted by username
Thanks for the well wishes for my 3 million BIS milestone.^ I do keep a spreadsheet to track all my UA flying activities. I must say I'd rather be home with my kids, although I cannot say the same for them.

On the photos and UA inflight meals. I really don't use photo editing tool much other than adding the frame, my signature and enhance the color contract a bit. Definitely no optical illusions there. The only difference is I have changed camera in the past year.

I have posted less photos of UA meals this year because they have not changed much in the past 12 months. Same old entrees on most of the flights througout the year. I cannot make pigs fly, and I don't think FTers want to see the same old meal photos monthly. For example, how many angles and perspectives can one take photos of the same old ice cream and cheese plates served on all inter-continental flights throughout the UA system in the past 12 months. The only difference I can see is that PMUA aircrafts have better overhead lightings than PMCO aircrafts, so the photos from the meals served on the PMUA aircrafts look better.

Yes, lighting has more influence on how food looks (better or worse) than any other factors.

I have a collection of meal photos from LX, LH, NH, SQ, OZ, KE, AC and CA that I have no opportunites to post them yet because I have not had time to do photo trip reports in the Trip Report Forum in the last 12 months. Those photos definitely put UA meal to shame from the perecptive of choices, presentation and ingredients.

I don't like to comment on the taste of airline food because it is so subjective and also based on personal taste preference. All I am trying to do is to show meals photos and one can his/her judgement on the quality of ingredients, choices and presentations shown in the photos.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
3/14 11:58am ORD-LAX

Bread roll
Tomatoe bisque soup (good but don't want to know the sodium count)
Shrimp salad or chicken basil wrap
Cookie passed around after didn't hear what it was.

I counted 6 shrimp on my salad. The FA seemed to be pushing it because she started first by asking everyone if they wanted the salad and then if they had a moment of hesitation she was like "well...orrrr we have a chicken wrap."

Last edited by JVPhoto; Mar 15, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
I don't eat the domestic F meals anymore but try to grab a bite before or after the flight. I wouldn't eat a meal I didn't like elsewhere simply because it is "free" so why do it on an airplane?
+1: or I stop by the homeless shelter where I probably could find a more appetizing meal.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Any one been on the DEN/OGG flights recently? What are the meal choices going and coming back? Flying on Wednesday.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:53 pm
Suspended

us air f v ua f domestic

Was impressed w us air. Lunch meal salad and entree. Separate plated dessert. Full snack basket. A long mid con flight. Seemed more than what I get on ua flights in domestic f.

On Ua domestic f it's just gotten pathetic. Even bf the other week all I could think of was the broken cashews.

Oh, and is it true for a 24 hr ua mx delay max 2 $7 vouchers? Was in bf/f the whole way rerouted to y on us. I asked for a third meal voucher but was told no b

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.