Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by radiowell
My 6 recent/upcoming meal-eligible segments on UA, here's the offering (in order):

breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, snack, snack

I managed to avoid traditional meal times after breakfast.

Lucky me.
Consider yourself lucky. Despite a general lack of variety, breakfast is the most consistent (and hearty) meal UA offers.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA1006 BOG-IAH
Int'l 752
Dinner (red-eye)

No menu. The choices were beef or a fish/shrimp combination. I went for the fish. It was sloppily plated, cold, and basically inedible. Came with a green salad that was poorly shredded and had I think one black olive and one tomato wedge. Desert was a single foil wrapped truffle that looked as if it had been left in the sun all day.

Service was awful. Only exception was the purser, who turned out to be pretty pleasant. But she didn't show up front until after the dinner service.

Connecting to . . .

UA1276 IAH-LAX
Int'l 752
Breakfast

The standard horrible UA breakfast that I've seen at least 20 times over the past two years. I passed on everything.

Service was (again) awful.
Can you elaborate on the awful serice? My biggest complaint about UA premium cabins is the "disappearing crew" immediately after my tray is cleared But BOG-IAH redeye is usually pretty quiet after dinner since most people are sleeping, so the disappearing crew wouldn't surprise me so much.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by radiowell
My 6 recent/upcoming meal-eligible segments on UA, here's the offering (in order):

breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, snack, snack

I managed to avoid traditional meal times after breakfast.

Lucky me.
Lucky you is right! I am one of the few here who appreciate UA's breakfasts and hope they don't change it!

Dinner, on the other hand...

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Apr 17, 2014 at 6:52 pm Reason: removed animated picture
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by st530
Can you elaborate on the awful serice? My biggest complaint about UA premium cabins is the "disappearing crew" immediately after my tray is cleared But BOG-IAH redeye is usually pretty quiet after dinner since most people are sleeping, so the disappearing crew wouldn't surprise me so much.
The biggest problem with the service on that particular flight was the way the flight crew handled the incredibly intoxicated pax seated next me. He was stumbling drunk when he boarded; they should never have let him on. But they did, then proceeded to serve him something like 10-15 more drinks (seriously) over the first two hours of the flight. His antics thereafter made sleep impossible.

As noted above, my meal was cold and sloppily plated. Whoever was manning the galley clearly just didn't care. The crewmembers who handled drinks and meal service were distant and generally unfriendly. The only exception was the purser, but she didn't make an appearance up front until we were several hours into the flight, and by then it was too late. She did apologize profusely for the mishandling of the drunk seated next to me.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
The biggest problem with the service on that particular flight was the way the flight crew handled the incredibly intoxicated pax seated next me. He was stumbling drunk when he boarded; they should never have let him on. But they did, then proceeded to serve him something like 10-15 more drinks (seriously) over the first two hours of the flight. His antics thereafter made sleep impossible.
i hope you make it a point to report this if you have not already.

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Upcoming DEN-SEA trip, blocked at 2hr, 50 min and 1024 miles.

It is the 8:06pm departure so I am aware this is not within the 'traditional' meantime window for purpose of UA's policy.Wouldn't this then qualify for the snack plate as it is >900 miles?

On my itinerary, it is coded as 'refreshments'.

Anyone else able to provide a firsthand experience?

Also, FWIW, as much as the 'snack' is hated I don't mind it because I am vegetarian. The salty lunch meat aside, it provides me a decent snack similar to what I would eat home.
Refreshments = snack basket (maybe) or just drinks. The 900 mile rule is starting to get squishy, it seems; after all 1024 is basically 900, right? By the same logic, I vote that we propose to $mi/J that we start paying ~90% of the asking price for our tickets.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Is it sad that I've been flying so much SFO-BOS transcons these days that I've missed the old SFO-JFK?

Anyway, the bad and the good of SFO-BOS this past Monday:

Some passengers (including me) apparently didn't deserve ramekins for their nuts (though did get my first choice so not really complaining, but this explains some of the cuts...).

And this picture doesn't make it look particularly appetizing, but man was this delicious. What appears to be a slightly new menu item (at least I haven't seen it yet in the last 10 tcons in F): spinach cannelloni with alfredo sauce (topped with some sundried tomato). Maybe I was just really hungry, but it was some of the best food I've had on UA domestic so far.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kon104
And this picture doesn't make it look particularly appetizing, but man was this delicious. What appears to be a slightly new menu item (at least I haven't seen it yet in the last 10 tcons in F): spinach cannelloni with alfredo sauce (topped with some sundried tomato). Maybe I was just really hungry, but it was some of the best food I've had on UA domestic so far.
unfortunately not new at all, though i agree it shows up less frequently in the "rotation" (if we can call it that anymore) so it retains a small bit of novelty. it's one of the more reliably "good" entrees, mainly because it's drowned in alfredo sauce and thus quite difficult to overcook/dry out.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The incredibly shrinking burrito

UA820
SFO-MSP
A319
"Lunch"

How much smaller can domestic mid-con lunches yet?

Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
And the lazy, nuts, entree, cookie all-in-one presentation:

Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bmr12
OK, now that's lazy! Wow.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm afraid to ask about the bowl full of brown . . . stuff.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm afraid to ask about the bowl full of brown . . . stuff.
"french onion" "soup"
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM

Though lazy, I love the idea of getting everything all at once. I prefer to eat and then either work or sleep. Waiting for a round of drinks and nuts, then the meal, and then...eventually...the cookie takes up sleeping/working time.

As an aside, the onion soup featured in the photo is disgusting. Easily the worst soup UA has put out.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cmhua777
As an aside, the onion soup featured in the photo is disgusting. Easily the worst soup UA has put out.
+1. I'm not a soup person, but I actually enjoy all the other ones have had in the air. This "French Onion" is what I would imagine seepage from an engine, lav, or battery might taste like...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:45 pm

Sadly, I'm anti-cannelloni. I just don't like that particular dish. But it's been on the BusinessFirst menus for at least 3-4 years.

United makes beautiful soups, but the French Onion isn't one of them. It's a shame; they make such amazing tomato bisque, mushroom soup, tortilla soup, and my beloved "sweet chili soup."

The cookie with the meal usually screams, "We went to get through the service as soon as humanly possible because we want our breaks."

I'm starting to learn my favorite "BYO" options. I have my favorites from Newark; I just need to find a favorite BYO choice from Houston. If United follows in American's footsteps and posts its menus in advance, I would know "this is a flight that will require BYO" or "I actually like that meal." But given United's current cost-cutting and problems with SHARES, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.