Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by cyber1k
EWR-LAX vs PS JFK-LAX BusinessFirst dinner meal.

What expectations should I have for Newark transcons to LAX? I just scanned this forum and got depressed at how unappetizing and sad the UA meals look. I moved our business to AA after the merger and have not experienced UA in ages. I think I am spoiled on AA in comparison.
It's the same food on both (the upgraded PS Menu). The aircraft is the primary difference, its a grab bag but it's usually not lie-flat and usually sans-WiFi
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by kenn0223
It's the same food on both (the upgraded PS Menu).
App: usually one shrimp and smoke salmon.
Salad: dressing rotates between ranch (ugh) and vinegrette
Bread basket: garlic, pretzel, normal rolls, ciabatta (?)

Choice of entree:
Chicken of some sort
Beef or pork
Vegetarian dish (usually pasta)

Ice cream sundae with choice of toppings.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by eng3
UA1075 SEA-SFO 9:24am Refreshments
No Warm Scone, just the refreshment basket

UA552 SFO-PHL A319 Dinner
I think orders were taken by status, but hard to tell with only 8 seats. Seemed like back to front, but I know he specifically took my order before my neighbor, then eventually got back to her and only offered the pasta or something from the economy menu

Started with a hot towel then nuts in a Warm Ramekin (nuts were cold). Was even offered a second helping of cold nuts.

Was offered Chicken or Pasta. Pasta looked really bad. Chicken was ok. Beans tasted dry.

For some reason, everything was served from a tray where I had to take it off the tray and put it on my table. (drinks, nuts, sundae, sundae fixings). It was a little weird trying to get one of every sundae fixing onto my sundae without making a mess.
Has UA now cut the tiny appetizer bowl?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by goldelite8
Has UA now cut the tiny appetizer bowl?
Yup. At least they didn't leave an empty bowl. If you look up in the thread at my outbound flight, you'll see the empty bowl where (I think) they had salad or fruit.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by cyber1k
EWR-LAX vs PS JFK-LAX BusinessFirst dinner meal.

What expectations should I have for Newark transcons to LAX? I just scanned this forum and got depressed at how unappetizing and sad the UA meals look. I moved our business to AA after the merger and have not experienced UA in ages. I think I am spoiled on AA in comparison.
Lowered ones . . .
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA GS/Global Entry
Interesting discussion with FA today regarding UA now giving out yogurt containers rather than having it pre-bowled. He said that we should appreciate the change, as now we are getting significantly more yogurt, BETTER quality yogurt (can confirm), and he thinks that it is fresher this way. Despite the ugliness of it, I do agree with the FA on all counts. I almost jumped for joy when I saw that the yogurt being served is now greek yogurt. The old stuff was straight sugar. I did notice that it was a much bigger portion as well. Overall, a postive change in my book.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
LIH-SFO

Finally, a change of menu on this flight yesterday! Instead of penne pasta with red sauce and beef, the choices were a fancy pasta (didn't get the details) and grilled chicken with white rice and green beans. The chicken was surprisingly good--tender, not dry. No shrimp salad. Garden salad was limp. Oatmeal raisin cookies for dessert.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by linsj
Finally, a change of menu on this flight yesterday! Instead of penne pasta with red sauce and beef, the choices were a fancy pasta (didn't get the details) and grilled chicken with white rice and green beans. The chicken was surprisingly good--tender, not dry. No shrimp salad. Garden salad was limp. Oatmeal raisin cookies for dessert.
Wish I could share in your excitement but this isn't a new option just one of the same two chicken dishes served since 2/2012 or whenever the meal alignment was done.

Basically if you are flying UA in F on domestic non ps routes your dinner options are
-beef with peppercorn gravy and potatoes
-beef with hoisin sauce and noodles
-chicken cacciatore with gnocchi
-chicken with rice and green beans

and then pasta options
-pasta with red sauce
-cheese cannelloni with red sauce
-cheese cannelloni with white sauce

Served with a salad, white bread roll, shrimp/salmon appetizer no longer offered, sundaes on transcons otherwise cookies

I've yet to figure out the rotation or logic of when certain meals get served eastbound vs westbound, etc
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:56 am

Honolulu to EWR
A dismal meal 'snack' in first. Some sort of cold cous cous? no dressing with cold vegetables - slice of carrot, 2 aspargus spears, some squash, a package of prezels and package of dry italian somethings

Drnks prior to takeoff, with meal and brought around water during flight. I like the lie flats but really??? can't United give some sort of better food. Was in United Club prior to boarding and this area is almost devoid of restaurants, etc
To get to gate walked through terminal, next time I will buy something to eat
Got an online survey asking my opinion of flight - gave my opinion but will anyone actually see this?
Last flight had an equally poor piece of fatty beef, limp brussels sprouts, asked for and gave opinion
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:04 am

I wonder if UA's Board of Directors has to eat this stuff when they fly UA? Or do they get special catering?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Exciting new dishes at UA! <sarcasm>

Earlier this month:

SFO-HNL Lunch (Note that appetizer was missing even from this 2400 mile flight .. ugh)

HNL-SFO Lunch

Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
UA 1591
DEN-ORD
737-800
10:30A-1:52P (sked and actual)
February 12, 2014
Lunch

Lunch choices today were chicken salad or cheeseburger, with onion soup.
I wasn't really hungry but took one for the team and the photo op.

Meh, not so good.

The chicken was OK if one is starving but whoa Jeff, think you can find an even smaller serving of chicken?

Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
CLE-LAX
UA1103 6:15PM Dep

i wanted ice cream lol . at least htere was a hot towel service
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
Interesting discussion with FA today regarding UA now giving out yogurt containers rather than having it pre-bowled. He said that we should appreciate the change, as now we are getting significantly more yogurt, BETTER quality yogurt (can confirm), and he thinks that it is fresher this way. Despite the ugliness of it, I do agree with the FA on all counts. I almost jumped for joy when I saw that the yogurt being served is now greek yogurt. The old stuff was straight sugar. I did notice that it was a much bigger portion as well. Overall, a postive change in my book.
eh, IMHO, I hate greek yogurt, it tastes like eating joint compound to me.

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Honolulu to EWR
A dismal meal 'snack' in first. Some sort of cold cous cous? no dressing with cold vegetables - slice of carrot, 2 aspargus spears, some squash, a package of prezels and package of dry italian somethings

Drnks prior to takeoff, with meal and brought around water during flight. I like the lie flats but really??? can't United give some sort of better food. Was in United Club prior to boarding and this area is almost devoid of restaurants, etc
To get to gate walked through terminal, next time I will buy something to eat
Got an online survey asking my opinion of flight - gave my opinion but will anyone actually see this?
Last flight had an equally poor piece of fatty beef, limp brussels sprouts, asked for and gave opinion
That's the redeye flight right? I guess the strategy is to eat a big dinner first elsewhere.

As for the survey, I've never gotten any response, however I sat next to a 4MM once and he said he always gets responses.

Last edited by eng3; Feb 17, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
eh, IMHO, I hate greek yogurt, it tastes like eating joint compound to me.
YMMV. It's growth has decimated sales of "regular" yogurt the past couple years.

I'm all for food progress on board ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.