Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
IAHSAN
DEP 1257P
Flight started off with PDBs but FA had no idea about prosecco and when I tried to explain or ask for sparkling wine she brought sparkling water.

I initially got all excited knowing I'd have the new lunch options and was given the choice of either a chicken salad or chedder and beef melt both served with cream of mushroom soup.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2j14ri0.jpg

Well I should have opted for the salad; the sandwich was overcooked (I noticed the FA was turning the ovens on before we even pushed back) and the cheese had turned into something like wet butter. The dryness was further complicated by a crew that spent most of the time chatting and had to be flagged down for refills. Cookies and nuts were pretty much overcooked as well, though I can't say I've ever really enjoyed the nuts on UA in years.

And then I flew DL the other day SANATL.....um where do I begin. Presentation, options were Calzone or Salmon, FA's were incredibly friendly and kept drinks filled. The lunch was actually balanced and had some thought put into it. Even with the "upgrades" to the meal service, UA has a ways to go
http://i57.tinypic.com/331inm1.jpg
What can I say - that UA sandwich looks disgusting, while the DL meal is light years ahead of anything UA is servicing domestically.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
What can I say - that UA sandwich looks disgusting, while the DL meal is light years ahead of anything UA is servicing domestically.
And of course, that sandwich is the "output" of the big multi-million dollar investment in the food!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
And of course, that sandwich is the "output" of the big multi-million dollar investment in the food!
Repackage the Y BOB sandwiches, change the bread roll, add gluten free soup, take off the fruit bowl at lunch/salad at dinner = multi-million dollar investment.

I still am blown away that UA owns its own catering unit, which should yield not only some cost savings but sufficient revenue from providing services to other carrer, yet still manages to produce such a subpar product. I mean the DL meal was hardly gourmet (we're not talking filet and lobster), but it looked like a premium product and tasted balanced. Belly bomb sandwich with heavy soup (no mushrooms anymore it seems) and then a cookie; how does that even pass a review?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Wrong thread - this is the domestic meals thread.

Originally Posted by coplatsat
What is the current November Menu in BF TATL? I am on the above flights over Thanksgiving.

Thank you,

Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, BA Silver
ERJ-175

Does anyone know if there is enough of a galley to have full meal service in First on an ERJ-175? Since we are seeing so many of them.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by mdskyguy
Does anyone know if there is enough of a galley to have full meal service in First on an ERJ-175? Since we are seeing so many of them.
i don't believe the E-175s have ovens. so snack box it is.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by mdskyguy
They will convert to meal service by mid next year.

"By mid-2015, United will further enhance its in-flight dining by:

Launching completely redesigned menu concepts and expanding premium-cabin meals within North America to flights that are more than two hours and 20 minutes, or 800 miles;
Upgrading premium-cabin meal service on domestic and international United Express flights, replacing snack boxes with freshly prepared food; and
Significantly enhancing United Economy meals and beverages on long-haul international flights."

Probably serving cold meals the way Delta does on similar aircraft.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I still am blown away that UA owns its own catering unit, which should yield not only some cost savings but sufficient revenue from providing services to other carrer, yet still manages to produce such a subpar product. I mean the DL meal was hardly gourmet (we're not talking filet and lobster), but it looked like a premium product and tasted balanced. Belly bomb sandwich with heavy soup (no mushrooms anymore it seems) and then a cookie; how does that even pass a review?
It's very simple: UA management does not care.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
To each his own, but that DL calzone looks a lot to me like the much-ridiculed chicken bouquet on UA. To be sure, the presentation, plus salad and mini-cheese plate, make some difference, but I don't know about "light years" as concerns the main dish. YMMV.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I think the UA lunch looks tasty, but it is starch with starch and starch - the Delta advantage is no so much the quality as the variety - a salad and a little grapes and cheese is a very nice balance to a doughy sandwich.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I thought breakfast was ok on SFO-KOA flight. Didn't care for turkey sausage or whatever it is or potato veggie thingie but there was enough freshfruit, yogurt, omelette was great etc. so you had enough to eat. Flight attendant was particularly attentive whole flight so that was also good for drinks snacks et.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
What is the sparkling wine situation? Is it on all flights, all mainline, or just certain length mainline? Does it taste better than paint thinner? If so, I'm pretty excited. I've been drinking the same two wines for about two years, so I'm ready for a change.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
They will convert to meal service by mid next year.

"By mid-2015, United will further enhance its in-flight dining by:

Launching completely redesigned menu concepts and expanding premium-cabin meals within North America to flights that are more than two hours and 20 minutes, or 800 miles;
Upgrading premium-cabin meal service on domestic and international United Express flights, replacing snack boxes with freshly prepared food; and
Significantly enhancing United Economy meals and beverages on long-haul international flights."

Probably serving cold meals the way Delta does on similar aircraft.
i'll be shocked if they get this done by mid-2015 at the rate things are currently going.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
What is the sparkling wine situation? Is it on all flights, all mainline, or just certain length mainline? Does it taste better than paint thinner? If so, I'm pretty excited. I've been drinking the same two wines for about two years, so I'm ready for a change.
Various reports up-thread of some reporting it's been catered on their flights, and others reporting deer in the headlight looks from FAs.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: United 1K
We had it on a research LGA-ORD flight but the FAs didn't know it was there until my seat mate asked for a glass of white - they came back and said we have a white (no mention about what kind) and procecco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.