Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by COA777
Thanks! Did either of you catch the brand by any chance?
Flew up front IAH-ORD last week. Flight attendant gave deer in headlights look when I asked if they had Prosecco. Then asked whether they had sparkling wine and got same response. Two seconds later came a shout from the galley "we do have Prosecco."

A few days later EWR-IAH, flight attendant insisted they didn't have Prosecco/sparkling wine, and was emphatic that they only serve the sparkling stuff in premium cabins on intl flights. 10 minutes later they came back with a glass of Prosecco. The brand is "Tiamo," and it's not bad at all. If you want Prosecco, perhaps you'll have better luck right off the bat if you just ask them for "Tiamo."

This is the specific one they were serving: http://masterwines.com/our-wines/tia...-prosecco-doc/

Last edited by COA777; Nov 21, 2014 at 9:42 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Micp3208
I was on an E-175 last week, and the "refreshments" consisted of a fist-sized bag of pretzels and nuts. It was quite a surprise, considering they have been touting better things across the system. I didn't expect a meal, or snack, but I expected some sort of a variety like the refreshment baskets on mainline.

As for the seats, well, they look nice, but persons of size had difficulty sitting in them and keeping the back upright.
This week on DL I flew STL-SLC at 8am on a CR700 and was offered the equivalent of a UA transcon breakfast with a bigger portion and fresher fruit than I ever get on UA.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:34 pm

Flew up front IAH-ORD last week. Flight attendant gave deer in headlights look when I asked if they had Prosecco. Then asked whether they had sparkling wine and got same response. Two seconds later came a shout from the galley "we do have Prosecco."

A few days later EWR-IAH, flight attendant insisted they didn't have Prosecco/sparkling wine, and was emphatic that they only serve the sparkling stuff in premium cabins on intl flights. 10 minutes later they came back with a glass of Prosecco. The brand is "Tiamo," and it's not bad at all. If you want Prosecco, perhaps you'll have better luck right off the bat if you just ask them for "Tiamo."
This was my experience, but with beer. When I ask for "312 Urban Wheat Ale" I get all sorts of response. At one time, the FA looked at me like I just got out of loony bin. At another time, the FA insisted that they only carry it on INTL flight. Both times, they came back with the yellow can (and one of them telling me they did a huge favor for me, pulling strings, etc)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Wine: "I'll have the Ripple, please."
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boss315
Wine: "I'll have the Ripple, please."
How about stocking 'Night Train Express' for the red-eye flights?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Any experience requesting the "vegetarian-ish" option in domestic F?

As a 1K, if I'm not in row 1-2, sometimes the salad/pasta is gone and all that is left is the more "meaty" option.

Is it appropriate to ask the FA to save a salad/pasta meal at boarding?

How about asking for/to buy a Y snack box? I've offered to pay for a snack box before and sometimes the FAs won't let me do it until after Y is served. Once I had a friend in the bulkhead row, turned around, asked him to buy it for me. I got stink-eye from the FA on that flight. With the recent downgrade of the hummus to animal-feed, I'm not sure I'd want one anymore.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by radiowell
This was my experience, but with beer. When I ask for "312 Urban Wheat Ale" I get all sorts of response. At one time, the FA looked at me like I just got out of loony bin. At another time, the FA insisted that they only carry it on INTL flight. Both times, they came back with the yellow can (and one of them telling me they did a huge favor for me, pulling strings, etc)
It seems to be a bit better now, but when 312 first came out I had the best luck by asking for the "new beer in the yellow can".
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
This may be a better question to ask in a FA forum. Why don't the FAs know what food, beverage, beer AND wine is on board?

The meals and wines don't change often. Sometimes they are pretty much the same forever on a route. I've been on the same international flight and seen the same 4 business wines for months.

My experience on most international airlines is that the FAs serving food know almost exactly the wines on their cart, be it 2, 4 or 6 choices. On UA, most read the label 10+ times per service and still don't remember what kind of "white" or "red" it is, or just push the label in my face. SFO FAs seem a bit better, at least knowing they have "2 Chardonnays and 2 cabs, one french one".

Beer that they have had in their cart for months, no excuse. These are FT, multi-year senior FAs. Did they never take a peek in the cart and see what the stuff is? Were they never curious about the yellow can?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Beef Wrap on KOA-SFO flight last night

Hmm--seems they could do much better than this--lousy beef wrap on flight last night from KOA to SFO ("snack"). Wish I had that wrap from the LAS-IAH flight previously mentioned.

Oh well, I wasn't expecting much and I didn't get much

The Courvoisier was hot (I've heard about warm your brandy with your hand around the glass but this was a bit much--fortunately one of the few benefits of the plastic wear is that it dissipates heat quickly and the drink cooled to a much more drinkable lukewarm quickly!

My wife's wine was undrinkable (vinegary), unlike what she had coming from YYC-SFO 2 weeks before which was enjoyable at least.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
As an update for anyone flying the 8:30pm JFK-LAX p.s. flight, I flew that earlier this week and the 'snack' was the beef burrito wrap and (oddly enough) a scone. That's it on the tray. Manage your expectations accordingly.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
As an update for anyone flying the 8:30pm JFK-LAX p.s. flight, I flew that earlier this week and the 'snack' was the beef burrito wrap and (oddly enough) a scone. That's it on the tray. Manage your expectations accordingly.
sounds like a co-pay worthy product to me!!!!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:45 am

This is the specific one they were serving: http://masterwines.com/our-wines/tia...-prosecco-doc/
Same experience happened to me - no prosecco EWR IAH. On ORD to LGA I 'insisted" and he found the bottle. I think I had three quarters of it! Much better than the "flat" wines
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: UA1K
in F DEN-PHL on wednesday. i'll insist on the tiamo or whatever it is called. see what happens.

i have had the odd look when asking for the goose island.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon

Embarrassing.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ordogg
Flying LAX-HNL 1224 (1030 dep - lunch) and HNL-LAX UA 534 (redeye) in December.

Seems like special meals are still available to Hawaii. do they still have the indian veg? Always enjoyed it, or take my chances on the protein and pasta?
Yes they do. And it seems doesn't matter which special meal you order, you end up with the same lentil with the side of lentil.

Originally Posted by johnden
This may be a better question to ask in a FA forum. Why don't the FAs know what food, beverage, beer AND wine is on board?

The meals and wines don't change often. Sometimes they are pretty much the same forever on a route. I've been on the same international flight and seen the same 4 business wines for months.

My experience on most international airlines is that the FAs serving food know almost exactly the wines on their cart, be it 2, 4 or 6 choices. On UA, most read the label 10+ times per service and still don't remember what kind of "white" or "red" it is, or just push the label in my face. SFO FAs seem a bit better, at least knowing they have "2 Chardonnays and 2 cabs, one french one".

Beer that they have had in their cart for months, no excuse. These are FT, multi-year senior FAs. Did they never take a peek in the cart and see what the stuff is? Were they never curious about the yellow can?
Probably depends on whether the FA read his/her memo/e-mail. Or not.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
sounds like a co-pay worthy product to me!!!!
It's about the seat, you silly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.