Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That "main" is absolutely embarrassing
Well to be fair, it is voluntarily missing beef or chicken.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Well to be fair, it is voluntarily missing beef or chicken.
My bad then, I mis-read it was the actual vegetarian meal. Was assuming special order.

Since when are both entrée choices on a route w/meat?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
My bad then, I mis-read it was the actual vegetarian meal. Was assuming special order.

Most, if not all flights to Latin America (central, North south) have two meat items. MGA always seems to have chicken or pork/beef.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: MP Gold, RR CP alist preferred
Want to share my SAN-IAH 315pm - 815pm flight from tonight with dinner service which seemed to be an improvement. SAN-IAH Nov 6. Plane was coming into SAN from ORD.

Had a good crew that was attentive and came by many times. A little slow to get the first round of drinks out but not bad. I chose the steak with mashed potatoes, veggies, and side salad. Shortly after everyone received their food they came by to offer warm pretzel roll out of a basket rather than the same old cold roll on the tray. Steak was good and cooked right, not overcooked at all and the sauce was good too, which came in handy for the veggies. Potatoes complimented well and weren't instant or bland -- I actually regretted showering them with salt and pepper out of habit. Believe it or not the chicken sandwich I had going there on the 1st didn't need salt or pepper. I didn't mess with the salad since I'm not a fan of balsamic dressing but ate the cucumber. Finished off with a chocolate chip cookie which was cooked better than they usually are. I'm not sure of the red wine onboard but was smooth and I really enjoyed it vs what I've had in the past from UA.

The other option was a large ravioli which didn't look bad either.

When I went to SAN on the 1st I had my first stab at the onion soup.... not impressed at all. This is the first time I've had a different soup. The old soup was great and I liked it a lot. What kind of soup was that? I'm not even sure what it is but I hope they didn't get rid of it.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by horse glasses
...but I really don't understand why there is always ranch dressing. I know a lot of people like it, but really wouldn't something like Italian be more universally appealing?
Amen to that. Can't stand the stuff.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by horse glasses
.... I really don't understand why there is always ranch dressing. I know a lot of people like it, but really wouldn't something like Italian be more universally appealing?
Interesting statement from Wikipedia (for what that's worth)
Ranch dressing has been the best-selling salad dressing in the United States since 1992, when it overtook Italian dressing.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver

No special meals. Of the few dinner flights I've been upgraded on, both choices are always meat. I know there are a few out there that aren't, but I've never seen them. Doesn't make any sense, even people who aren't vegetarians don't want meat at every meal. I think a lot of people would prefer to not eat meat cooked on an airplane anyway. I consider myself lucky when there is a choice where the meat can actually be removed and I can have part of it at least.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Interesting statement from Wikipedia (for what that's worth)
Terrible, but not surprising. Explains why ranch is always slopped all over everything in salad bars/buffets.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B411 Safari/600.1.4)

I received no snack basket SFO-SAN or return SAN-SFO on mainline. Beverage only. Have they cut that now too?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:24 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
The problem with the ranch dressing is that it is just one glob, it does not cover the salad nicely and if you try to toss it to get the dressing to at least cover the salad it ends up on the tray. Balsamic is nice, now if they could just find a cream dressing that pours nicely. It's a bit different when the FA's serve the salad and put the dressing on, at least it is creamier and covers the salad.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
LGA-IAH at 5:45am, choice of honey nut chex mix cereal or the omelet + sausage along with fruit, yogurt, croissant or cinnamon bun. I'm getting sick of the breakfast options because it seems like it has not changed in years.

Then I was served exactly the same omelet + sausage in economy on IAH-NRT, albeit in a plastic container.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
11/5, UA1015 IAH-SMF "dinner"

spinach cannelloni makes a reappearance (again) this month along with chicken cacciatore

served with mediocre salad and wheat rolls

i don't recall getting any dessert on this flight, maybe there were cookies that i slept through
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Does anyone have any insight as to when the Prosecco will begin flowing in First Class on domestic flights? Last month's inflight magazine said it would begin in November, but on a flight on Nov. 1, a flight attendant up front looked at me like I was nuts during pre-departure beverage service when I asked if they had sparkling wine.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,

In my experience...pretty much always. If there is a vegetarian friendly option, they load maybe 2? Unless you are GS, maybe 1K you will go hungry. Paid F...ha!...bring your own meal idiot...that's the jist of the CO CS on the topic...as well as all the CO lovers on here.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by COA777
Does anyone have any insight as to when the Prosecco will begin flowing in First Class on domestic flights? Last month's inflight magazine said it would begin in November, but on a flight on Nov. 1, a flight attendant up front looked at me like I was nuts during pre-departure beverage service when I asked if they had sparkling wine.
It's not listed in this month's issue of Hemispheres (http://www.ink-live.com/emagazines/h...er-2014/#164/z)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.