Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Pittsburgh-Denver
UA 1051
737-900 BSI
4:35P-6:13P (sked)
4:36P-5:55P (actual)
Lunch but on United we call it Dinner

My first day as a free agent and I'm not flying home via DFW. What is wrong with you United people? The inbound hasn't even arrived and you're already lining up. Wow.

Service dogs my a**.

Meanwhile excellent on board service that featured something rarer than a Haley's Comet sighting on AA... an open bar PDB. Choice of chicken on focaccia or salad with roast beef and soup a l'oignon. Hmmm, sounds like lunch choices on other airlines. On the other hand, the salad was pretty darn good. Crisp romaine, fresh veggies and tasty rare beef, although maybe only 2 ounces worth.

Must have enjoyed it.

Not exactly a filling meal though. Good thing I was going home to a proper dinner.

Question: Why does it take so long for UA Wi-Fi to kick in? This was 40 minutes after take off.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 11, 2014 at 8:58 pm
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:49 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Once at the wharf in Monterey I was having a sourdough breadbowl of clam chowder...the waiter asked me if I wanted any bread. I stared at him and then he laughed and realized.
Speaking to the choir on that one😉 i love sourdough but its a treatgotta stay healthy and eat different foods

Originally Posted by Kurt
Flight/Route/Date: UA750/LAX-DEN/Nov. 28, 2014
Aircraft/Seat: 777-200/6J (BusinessFirst)
Departure Time/Duration: 10:45 a.m./2:17
Meal: Lunch

A bonus 777 for post-Thanksgiving travel was a nice treat. Pre-departure drinks were offered; I tried the Prosecco (Tiamo brand).

After takeoff the crew hustled to serve lunch in our short 1:38 (great tailwind) flight time. White wine and nuts to start.

The offering in business was a chicken wrap; first was also had a salad from which to choose. French onion soup, grapes and a pretzel roll/butter were also on the tray.

The wrap was quite tasty with a bit of aoli mayonnaise sauce.

A chocolate-chip cookie and coffee followed lunch.

That looks quite good to me for a route like that in these new times. Was the soup salty? How was the prosecco?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Veg meal to/from HNL?

Anybody consumed a vegetarian special order meal (in F) to or from HNL recently?

I'm thinking about putting in such a request, but wonder what it might result in?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
EWR->ORD
757 Intl seats
Lunch

This was a first for me. The nuts were served along with the pre-departure beverage. The nuts were not warmed.

Pretty standard service after that. Choice of the noodle salad or chicken/egg wrap. Both served with tomato basil soup. No roll served with either, which I am guessing is a catering mistake or FA mistake and not a cut-back?

I have been served this wrap before. Not horrible, but the chicken doesn't seem to be of very good quality, mostly a texture issue.. The blue cheese inside is the overriding taste, so not a great choice if you don't like blue cheese.

Oatmeal raisin cookie offered later, which I declined.

Happy to have the lie-flat seat for a short domestic flight, but it wasn't in the best condition.

Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
12/4 UA1654 LAX-ORD Lunch

The only GS was sitting next to me so the FA took our orders first.
Choice of Mandarin Chicken Salad or "Beef"
We both ordered the chicken salad but for some reason the GS next to me got the beef.

Salad was OK, but its just a salad. soup was ok. These "improved" meals are disappointing.

The beef that the GS got looked like the sandwich that you can buy in Y.

Got the cookie for dessert
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
All of the cuts have made the food even crappier than it was. Last few flights (last flights on UA "forever") Have had horrible catering. Dinner is a chicken sandwich and nothing else? Absolute crap!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
That looks quite good to me for a route like that in these new times. Was the soup salty? How was the prosecco?
No the soup wasn't too salty. I like onion soup with a lot of cheese melted on top but I don't think UA cares enough to serve something like that

The Prosecco was good - not as sweet as I was expecting. It isn't Champagne, but it's a nice option to have sometimes.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Does BOS-ORD still get a meal? What about ORD-YVR?

I'm a little confused since I'm booked on UA325 which is technically BOS-YVR with a stop and equipment change in ORD.

UA says I will get dinner but I have no idea which segment because BOS-ORD is a business heavy route (it got the meal exception from AA), and ORD-YVR is a longer international flight.

Am I going to end up getting two meals? Better keep your wallet away, United.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Anybody consumed a vegetarian special order meal (in F) to or from HNL recently?

I'm thinking about putting in such a request, but wonder what it might result in?
I thought there were no domestic special order meals in F, at least for most flights. Unless HI is an exception.

Wife is vegetarian, so can't do anything really except hope that there is a veg meal left by the time it's her turn on domestic flights. They used to always carry a vegetarian option (often pasta, not sure if this is down always anymore). Other times, there is often a chicken or shrimp salad option, where the meat doesn't come on top to start, so they just leave it off. Of course, the last couple of years we've pretty much only been in F on evening "snack" flights which every time is the prosciutto appetizer plate (which I won't eat either) - would be nice to at least have something else they rotate to.

Originally Posted by keitherson

I'm a little confused since I'm booked on UA325 which is technically BOS-YVR with a stop and equipment change in ORD.

UA says I will get dinner but I have no idea which segment because BOS-ORD is a business heavy route (it got the meal exception from AA), and ORD-YVR is a longer international flight.

Have no idea about BOS, but ORD - YVR is definitely long enough for a meal of it leaves within the right hours. Anything 7pm or afternoon isn't dinner but a "snack" flight where you don't get a choice (except for yes or no). As mentioned above, for me on those snack flights have always been the prosciutto plate.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I have two flights today. No pre departure beverage was served. When did U A end this? Thanks. Happy travels.
I had four (domestic) flights over the weekend. PDB on each - all open bar, too.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by keitherson

Try dummy booking separate one ways BOS-ORD and ORD-YVR in F. If your date is not available/sold out, try different dates at the same flight times.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:18 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by SFO777
Service dogs my a**.

Looks like they had a pet carrier. Perhaps an in-cabin pet?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by Bear96
I had four (domestic) flights over the weekend. PDB on each - all open bar, too.

Send a complaint, I was told last week that PDB in the domincan republic were illegal. Customer care reaponded that the FA was incorrect and would be retrained.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
[/URL]
If you pick up that nickel does it come off your PQDs?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
That's funny. I never noticed the nickel, either in person or in the photo.
Maybe one too many G&Ts/beers that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.