Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Is the United award search working?
For the past 1/2 hr, every time I hit the search button, the website just refreshes...
I've been having that over the last couple of days. Restarting my browser or switching browsers seems to solve it.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:23 pm

i'm trying to book tickets today but the dates will likely need to be changed (holiday travel and vacay schedule not set yet). for these award tickets the hardest segments to find are the united domestic saver business ones. it seems that you might not be able to downgrade from domestic business to domestic coach without triggering a repricing of the fare. if we're willing to fly coach domestically with our business awards, would it make sense to select the domestic coach seats and then change the seats to business if they're available for the flights we want (in order to provide additional flexibility)? thanks so much for any thoughts, help!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by milepig
Still can't find anything for ORD-BCN other than the current ORD/BOS/ZRH/BCN UA/UX/UX, but time has run out.
Time has only run-out in terms of booking. Based on multiple reports in this thread changes that don't involve changing destination/class/etc should be able to be done without re-fairing and changing the number of miles.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:25 pm

still so angry about this. still thinking i'll just get smacked by devaluation.

no clue where we want to go on our honeymoon, but it'll be in 2015. int'l to east asia or europe, prefer F, okay with J....

Mileage balance: 224,512.

time to churn an explorer card and get up to, uh, 440k? .... me. UA metal it is....
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA1K
i was able to snag OS MXP-VIE-DEN for 2/17. was hoping to get LH F on 2/13 but i cannot find ANYTHING.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by haddon90
i was able to snag OS MXP-VIE-DEN for 2/17. was hoping to get LH F on 2/13 but i cannot find ANYTHING.
Shockingly LH F space has dried up across the board last two days.... burn baby burn
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
How long should I wait for a SQ award to ticket?

A few hours ago I reserved a SIN-BKK flight in SQ J — getting the old 17.5k mile price.

The phone agent had the rate desk price the reservation and took my payment info, but a few hours later the trip still shows as unticketed — "Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized…".

Given that prices are about to go up, when should I call in to check on the status of the ticketing? This is not a huge deal, as I could book TG SIN-BKK on the same day without much burden, but it would cost a lot more if I do it after today!.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just talked to GS res. Agent shared, they have been inundated with calls and she has been "searching for premium award space all day long".
Meanwhile, .bomb shows fake LH C-award space on several days for next month. None bookable.
Deceiving and frustrating!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
A few hours ago I reserved a SIN-BKK flight in SQ J — getting the old 17.5k mile price.

The phone agent had the rate desk price the reservation and took my payment info, but a few hours later the trip still shows as unticketed — "Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized…".

Given that prices are about to go up, when should I call in to check on the status of the ticketing? This is not a huge deal, as I could book TG SIN-BKK on the same day without much burden, but it would cost a lot more if I do it after today!.
Why not book the TG flight anyway?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Why not book the TG flight anyway?
Between TG J SIN-BKK and SQ J SIN-BKK, I think the only major difference is the ground experience — my understanding is that SQ J gets SilverKris lounge access access whereas TG J gets a separate TG lounge.

It can't hurt to also book the TG flight as a backup while rates are still low. Fair point!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Is the United award search working?
For the past 1/2 hr, every time I hit the search button, the website just refreshes...
Originally Posted by alex_b
I've been having that over the last couple of days. Restarting my browser or switching browsers seems to solve it.
Had this problem also. I found that when I signed off the UA site and then signed on again, it's worked fine.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:26 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Close out sale

Mileage balance 23 Mileage expiration: 7/31/2015

Booked a whole bunch of cancelable tickets before Feb 1 deadline
Have almost NO UA miles left in 2 PP accounts
spent MMs on potential trips for 11 months
Took a flight on LH F WAS-FRA-NRT and back in Jan !
70k each way ! 280k for 2 people - will soon be 280k for just one

I do not think I have ever had a UA balance this low or AA balance this high
Thanks Jeff for making my mind up (also US/AA merger means future here may be more AA than UA for domestic upgrades)
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg

OK, I called and am having a remarkable conversation with a phone agent.

"How did they do that? They're not supposed to be booking from Singapore.""

=> Yeah, I heard about that! We had to manually phone the rate desk to get these seats.

"They're advising to hold them because they're coming back hold not confirmed."

Singapore is showing availability in their system and then canceling them on their side."

"I'm getting a few errors on my screen, so let me take a look at this and check."
(And this space in fact no longer shows up in the ANA tool — so UA has actually reserved the space from SQ?, or in any event it's gone.)

I'm on hold. Maybe I will book the TG flight as a backup (and maybe also in CX regional J using Avios).

EDIT:
(After about 20 min on hold.)
"We found what it was.

It looks like whoever stored the information did a couple of codes incorrectly. We're gonna fix it up.

We're having a lot of trouble with Singapore, on our system they show up confirmed but they're actually cancelling some of their flights. We're trying to be very careful. Let me have this actual other agent go ahead & calculate it correctly, put the information in here, and we'll see if we can ticket it."
(Meanwhile, I have confirmed & ticketed a TG flight just in case.)

EDIT:

(After 15 more min on hold.)

"It has just ticketed."

=> Great, thanks, do you have the partner carrier record locator?

"Yup, here it is: ....."
So pretty good! Only 35 min to reprice or whatever.

Last edited by mherdeg; Jan 31, 2014 at 6:57 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:27 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Had this problem also. I found that when I signed off the UA site and then signed on again, it's worked fine.
After booking 12 trips in 1 day (with Chrome) I would find that the booking would not load after selecting the pax details from the saved info.
So I used IE and then just cleared the history for 4 weeks and then Chrome worked OK
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
I just scored a roundtrip C award for two people from US to South Asia on the first try at the old rates. Despite waiting until nearly last minute, I still found a pair of C seats on desirable partner metal: BR YYZ-TPE and TG A380 BKK-FRA. The hardest part was actually finding C availability from Europe to United States in September. Ended up with UA C, LHR-IAD, which is just fine for a day flight. Despite my frustrations with the devaluation, I must say I'm impressed with TG/BR premium cabin award availability, especially considering how picked over the inventory must be at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.