Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:34 pm

I too am one in the minority, I see UA moving in the right direction. 15 year 1K, Million Miler the hard way, and 75 flights in this year with just a few negative experiences. The two last flights, ORD/PDX round trip, in First, were the two best flights yet. One PMUA crew and one PMCO crew, both fantastic. professional, friendly, attentive. Not a fan of Smisek but I see a lot of positives from the customer-facing personnel. I could always find some way I was wronged, but it's exhausting to generate so much energy to the negative. If 80-90% of my travels are stress free, which they are, I count myself lucky. If I go in to every encounter expecting to be disappointed I imagine I could find something to be disappointed about. But then again, I'm bring a positive attitude to every flight experience, and surprisingly, getting one back.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: Continental
Yeah...

Originally Posted by eflyte
Is it just me or is UAL getting seriously pimped by the Times recently? This has got to be the 3rd or 4th article in which they have featured prominently in the past month or so...

FWIW I like the commercial. And about 2/3 of the people I interact w/ a United are friendly. I think Meatloaf said that ratio ain't bad...
They probably granted everyone at the NYT free GS status!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tuolumne

I would like to see them show off their flagship product, however - the United First Suite.
Yes I too was a bit surprised not to see the GF product featured at all. However, the BF product is probably a bigger moneymaker for UAL, and since the ads are targeted at business travelers, focusing on the products which appeal most to that market segment (E+, power, wifi, flat beds, etc.) makes sense for this first run of ads.

I would imagine BF (two and three cabin) has a much higher % of paid traffic than GF.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Kurt
Other crews and flight attendants are not so good. Trying to engage them is difficult. I don't try anymore. Last week DEN-LAS (sCO), a veteran (27-year) flight attendant told me: "I love flying, it's the passengers I hate." Not very friendly! An ad campaign is not going to overcome that attitude, that surely comes across to passengers.
If UA wanted an honest slogan they could have used that FA's comment as the basis for a great ad campaign, actually a refresh of a classic campaign from the past.

DL (1980s): "We love to fly and it shows."
UA (2010s): "We hate our passengers and it shows."
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by fly18725
I like the campaign (and know I will be attacked for my opinion). This helps re-build the brand and allows United to promote areas where it adds value for frequent fliers (network, mainline hard product, employees) under a common tag line. As noted in the article, this is aspirational and there is real risk under delivers (as opposed to Delta, which literally has to not climb to fail at delivering on its tag line).

It is disappointing (but not unexpected) that so many are quick to disparage new branding - the very thing they've been demanding for so long.
It seems you're talking about marketing strategy. Which may or may not be brilliant. While others are saying "show me”。I'm open to positive change but since I moved from flying Delta to flying United 4 years ago, all the "show me" has been in the wrong direction.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
I like the new ads, and I like the bigger idea as well.

I do think the natural inclination is to take the word "friendly" and connect it to friendly flight attendants, gate agents, etc., but to me "flyer friendly" is more about delivering an experience that has been optimized for the frequent flyer. Customer service is part of that for sure - but the focus of the ads is much more on route network, flatbed seats, wifi, etc., etc.

I think it's actually a pretty creative and logical way to tie together all of those disparate investments and functional benefits. It's not dripping in emotion and nostalgia, but does connect the dots quite nicely IMO.

Rhapsody works really well with this campaign. It's grand and impressive - just like the world's largest airline should be, especially one that (in theory) uses that scale to deliver an experience that is "flyer friendly".

Here's my full take: http://first2board.com/foodwineandmi...w-ad-campaign/
Originally Posted by fjfv19
I really want to be critical of these new ad videos but I cannot. I actually like the videos. I just wish the slogan was wholly consistent with the service received at times.
Yeah, from a marketing standpoint, I think these commercials are excellent. It would make me hire the ad agency!

I particularly like how they changed the "fly the friendly skies" theme to be a tad more, well, realistic. When I heard they were going back to that theme, I laughed: while often competent, nobody would say that their typical interaction with a UA employee was "friendly." Domestic airlines like Southwest and Alaska would have more credibility in this regard. But the way UA has re-defined "friendly," it works.

My favorite of the commercials is the int'l taxi ad. It speaks to me -- although I doubt there's any airport in the world served by UA that you can really take a pedicab to! And, of course, the reality is that when I'm overseas I'm RARELY flying UA. And that's because I know that, in the real world, I'm better off flying UA's international partners than flying UA.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:13 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi anc-ord772,

Yes, it’s true. We’re proud to welcome back “Fly the Friendly Skies” as a cherished but updated part of our brand, and excited to share even more about it with you tomorrow and in the coming days. Keep an eye on the United Hub starting late morning for more details, and sneak previews of what’s to come…

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Aaron, I come from the CO side of the merger and have been with CO since the glory days of Gordon Bethune. This said, the slogan is very powerful and I am glad the new UA is adopting it. This summer on a SYD-LAX flight I have heard it for the first time ever. This was undoubtedly a nostalgic crew. At that time, I was thinking how nice would it be if UA re-adopted that slogan. CO never had anything as powerful. It would be a sign that the new UA is now committed to taking the best each pre-merger partner had to offer. I event posted a comment here on FT calling for the return of the slogan. And, lo and behold, it's back! Glad to see that you read my mind!

Again, great move!

Originally Posted by ORD1Kguy
I too am one in the minority, I see UA moving in the right direction. 15 year 1K, Million Miler the hard way, and 75 flights in this year with just a few negative experiences. The two last flights, ORD/PDX round trip, in First, were the two best flights yet. One PMUA crew and one PMCO crew, both fantastic. professional, friendly, attentive. Not a fan of Smisek but I see a lot of positives from the customer-facing personnel. I could always find some way I was wronged, but it's exhausting to generate so much energy to the negative. If 80-90% of my travels are stress free, which they are, I count myself lucky. If I go in to every encounter expecting to be disappointed I imagine I could find something to be disappointed about. But then again, I'm bring a positive attitude to every flight experience, and surprisingly, getting one back.
This mirrors my recent experience. You and I might be on the minority on this board, but probably not among the general UA passenger population.

Here is what I posted here in July this year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ally-back.html

Prophetic vision or just a coincidence?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 20, 2013 at 7:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I like the return of the slogan. Let's hope it is taken to heart by the employees and help turn around the last few years of ill-will and damage.

Plus, if they want to keep the tulip, they'll still be set for the comeback in downtown Sydney!

Last edited by RockinRon; Sep 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm Reason: bad URL
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
A recent sCO flight crew thanked us for "flying the friendly skies" at the top of descent. May have been a former UA furloughee who crossed over (737 flight) but was interesting to hear on sCO metal nonetheless. Made me think that I would be happy to see that slogan return... and here it is!

An old football coach of mine used to tell us, "You get what you emphasize, you get what you tolerate." I think the return of the Friendly Skies slogan goes to the emphasis part... if management places an emphasis on friendliness, it would logically follow that we should see more of it.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:21 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I had the same thought. Perhaps it wouldn't look as good in the narrower 787 seats.
It looks like they featured the 767 for for all the new commercials. Guess an orchestra would be too cramped in 3-3-3 The 2-3-3 767 config is definitely nice for couples traveling together. Was also hoping they would use the 787 for the flyby scene at the end of each, no Dreamliner love!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by zrs70
I dunno. I like the videos. But I recognize I'm in the minority here!

I think people here are programmed to complain about anything now!
Agreed. Maybe the complainers haven't figured out you don't get travel vouchers or courtesy miles for complaining here on FT.

I like the rah rah videos myself. Once I even paid for a set of those self help tapes I like them so much.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by joony
It looks like they featured the 767 for for all the new commercials. Guess an orchestra would be too cramped in 3-3-3 The 2-3-3 767 config is definitely nice for couples traveling together. Was also hoping they would use the 787 for the flyby scene at the end of each, no Dreamliner love!
There may also be the subtle message as the aircraft represents a blended UA-CO as it's is PMUA plane with a PMCO-like configuration.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by fly18725
There may also be the subtle message as the aircraft represents a blended UA-CO as it's is PMUA plane with a PMCO-like configuration.
It might also be that economy on the 787 looks like one of those stunts to try to cram as many folks into a VW bug as possible...

Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by channa
yeah but the messaging, if any, was accurate. Friendliness is not a trait many would cast on the current iteration of UA.

Do you not see the disconnect between promoting friendliness and the current product/service?
I thought the messaging was quite off on PMUA's advertising. Why wasn't my Global First Suite ever carried by two pixies into a colorful LSD wonderland? Why was I never followed by an orchestra comprised of various sea creatures whenever I flew over the ocean?

All kidding aside, in 2012, yes -- there was a large disconnect. But the ship has started to right itself.

This campaign, while initially delayed, was sorely needed. Employees are excited. It's big. It's bold. It's even classy.

Operations are improving. The website is about to relaunch. Aero is up and running and will be getting up to speed in functionality. More improvements on the hard and soft product will be forthcoming in the next year as well.

I just completed a round trip from IAD to LHR in Global First and the entire crew was absolutely fantastic. Everyone was full of smiles and had a welcoming attitude to all pax, paid or NRSA. Both flights were even early.

It's been a long arduous road the past few years, but I am optimistic. While there is still much to be done and there have been changes that I'm less than thrilled with, the pieces are slowly coming into place.

Originally Posted by spin88
It might also be that economy on the 787 looks like one of those stunts to try to cram as many folks into a VW bug as possible...
Yes, much like the 17.2 inch wide seats on the 737, 747, and 757!

Last edited by Sulley; Sep 21, 2013 at 12:21 am
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:41 am

As an employee, I think the company is turning the corner. There's a great deal of work to be done but I think we're moving forward. I do see more effort, more accountability and the operation has improved a great deal. Give this thing a chance, I think we're getting better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.