Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by andrewwm
The airplane was reconfigured ex-domestic pmUA 767. So a little of both.
How do you know that?

It could be a pmCO 764...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
While this is much better than that pathetic ps commercial earlier this year, as others have pointer out this is just a lot of lip service. Not to mention the very flyer UNfriendly changes at the UC. Get your heads out of your a****, you're not as good as you think you are Jeff and Co.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by warreng24
How do you know that?

It could be a pmCO 764...
It's a 763. First off you can tell with the older style recessed reading lights under the refreshed Heath-Tecna bins, and secondly, well, when they show the exterior of the plane, it's a 763!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mitchmu
...now, they launch what appears to be a decently thought out and designed campaign, but it fails anyway, because it's demonstrably false and totally disconnected with reality.

I've never seen anything like this.
Sure you have. From United. "Rising," 1997-99.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...time-ad-agency
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UAMP Gold Million Miler; American, Delta, Southwest; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt; Marriott, A-Plus
Well, I do like the commercials, but, alas, it's not true.

Recent example:
- Last might I flew from IAD to DEN. Checked in 4 hours early. Checked my bag. But the bag missed the flight. It's coming in this afternoon.
- United Club near C17. Never has Diet Coke or Coke Zero in the Fridge.
- Flight full, oversold. Asking for volunteers for a mere $200 travel credit, which we all know is not ever $200. If you are even dumb enough to take it.
- Hey, new seats on this A320. Actually pretty comfortable. But haven't been sat in 1M times yet.
- Hey, WIFI. $6.99. Worked pretty well. no complaints.
- But, no entertainment whatsoever. What's up with that?
- Incoming flight late, as usual.
- We left almost 60 mins late. As usual.
- FA's were very good. But, then again this was PM-UA metal, so PM-UA Crew.

So, how is that friendly?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:59 am

Ahhh, now it makes sense

Was surprised by UA's rather generous handling of last week's free ticket debacle. Now it makes sense, can you imagine the uproar had UA not only voided all the tickets (in what was a very widely covered event), but then tried to launch this 'friendly skies' campaign the following week - talk about epic fail
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Aren't all ad campaigns overhyped? God knows that the previous work by Pentagram and PMUA, no matter how beautiful, was style over substance (which many here have even admitted as fact).

Methinks some are protesting a bit too much.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: UA1K
they should do ad campaigns promoting the "over-entitled" elite customers and how friendly UA is to them
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fly18725
I don't disagree with the premise, but I think the argument is a bit hollow considering that until today, the commonly held position on FlyerTalk was that management should have focused on advertising and branding, rather than dedicating efforts to integration and operations.
Awesome job twisting the points from us to the point of making them unrecognizable

Advertising & branding AND integration & operations are NOT mutually exclusive, no matter how often you try and paint it as a choice of one over the other.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Oh please...and stop trying to be "dissapointed". You spent some time lecturing us on how TV advertisements were a waste of money, UAL's strategy of minimal advertising was prudent, yada yada yada. Now you come here and speak of the "aspirational" benefits of this? I guess you weren't prudent to all of the senior leaderships plans like you thought, huh?

I'm dissapointed to see so many quickly doing their best to discredit anybody who dare not like anything the company does and label them as some sort of vendetta filled hater who can't like anything the company does! Sorry, this is a two way street.

As for me, you can count me down as happy UAL is finally doing something positive, and spending some major ad $$.
I said I liked the concept of the campaign, not that it was a prudent use of cash or a good investment.

I think the disappointment originates with confusion about the "haters." If you don't like anything the company does, why would you continue to engage in a commercial relationship with the company and participate in a community for customers who want to do business with said company?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mitchmu
This whole debacle is going to make the most amazing case study for future MBA classes.

First, the pathetic "cut and paste" PowerPoint style branding ...

Then, the lying and cheating, and "changes you're going to like" ...

Then, the SHARES disaster ...

Then, the "war against customers" ...

And, now, they just pretend none of this happened, and do a "make believe" branding campaign?

What I find most interesting about this, and what I think is the point of failure, is the disconnect between the branding and the reality. Everyone knows it. It fools nobody. And, therefore, it's a waste.

First, they failed to do any proper branding or marketing for, what, about 3 years?

And, now, they launch what appears to be a decently thought out and designed campaign, but it fails anyway, because it's demonstrably false and totally disconnected with reality.

I've never seen anything like this.

What they should have done is to develop a thoughtful campaign with a budget > $5,000 *and* grounded that campaign in reality. It would have needed to start with an acknowledgement of failures and reality, and then a humble plea for customers to return, backed with reasons why they should return.

Anything that comes from this company and fails to acknowledge the current state of affairs or recent customer experience, just comes across to me as tone deaf and arrogant.
I think you're describing the advertising campaign that a small subset of the FT UA board believes was needed, not even remotely close to the one that was actually needed. Any integration challenges that UA experienced are, from a marketing perspective, now in the distant past and long since apologised for. If you honestly believe a "humble plea" and apologetic, grovelling campaign was what was needed now, you really don't have an accurate perception of general public opinion towards UA or indeed how large enterprise marketing in general works. The public has very short memories.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
I like the new ads, and I like the bigger idea as well.

I do think the natural inclination is to take the word "friendly" and connect it to friendly flight attendants, gate agents, etc., but to me "flyer friendly" is more about delivering an experience that has been optimized for the frequent flyer. Customer service is part of that for sure - but the focus of the ads is much more on route network, flatbed seats, wifi, etc., etc.

I think it's actually a pretty creative and logical way to tie together all of those disparate investments and functional benefits. It's not dripping in emotion and nostalgia, but does connect the dots quite nicely IMO.

Rhapsody works really well with this campaign. It's grand and impressive - just like the world's largest airline should be, especially one that (in theory) uses that scale to deliver an experience that is "flyer friendly".

Here's my full take: http://first2board.com/foodwineandmi...w-ad-campaign/
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I really want to be critical of these new ad videos but I cannot. I actually like the videos. I just wish the slogan was wholly consistent with the service received at times.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I actually love the new ad campaign. It reminds me much more of pmUA's emphasis on class: an orchestra in tails (hey, that's my job!) playing Gershwin. What could be better?

I'm one of the last people to defend the new UA, but this is a positive step. This along with the new cabin crew uniforms and a marginally friendlier in-flight experience makes me feel like UA has a shot at becoming a winning team. Now if only they would remove the devaluation of elite benefits, a cumbersome reservation system, UC downgrades, bad domestic F food, etc. I might one day think about switching back from AA. Not today, but some day.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Sulley
Aren't all ad campaigns overhyped? God knows that the previous work by Pentagram and PMUA, no matter how beautiful, was style over substance (which many here have even admitted as fact).

Methinks some are protesting a bit too much.

yeah but the messaging, if any, was accurate. Friendliness is not a trait many would cast on the current iteration of UA.

Do you not see the disconnect between promoting friendliness and the current product/service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.