Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
I guess this might explain why the whole crew kept using the "Friendly Skies" slogan on pretty much every announcement on UA765 DEN-LAX flight on 9/12.

Personally, I think the whole slogan is just a bit of a stretch. How does calling the sky friendly differentiate your airline from all the other airlines sharing that sky with you. Is that AA flight 10 miles ahead of us in the unfriendly skies?

As another poster mentioned, it's a bit of trying to force a trait on all the crews with a slogan. If UA was known as a really friendly airline, I could see taking up a slogan such as this to let the rest of the world know. But, honestly, I don't think "friendly" would be one of the first 40 words I would use to describe UA.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I'm with the comments at the end of the NYT price...

From the story:

Henry Harteveldt, travel analyst for Hudson Crossing, called the campaign “a very bold move for United,” but said the advertising carried “the risk of failure: If passengers don’t see United fulfilling its promise of being a ‘user-friendly’ airline, the advertising will be seen as hollow and will backfire. ...

Tim Winship, publisher of FrequentFlier.com, a Web site on travel loyalty programs, was dismissive of the campaign, calling “friendly skies” “so last century. In 2013, the skies are anything but friendly, and to suggest otherwise is to insult the intelligence of consumers and invite their scorn.
I just can't see the slogan working with today's race to the bottom UAL. It will do more harm than good when the slogan has nothing to do with the current "would you like some freshbrew with that JeffMcMuffen" airline.

Better that they had actually rolled out some product improvements (not more of the recent downgrades) before chosing to toss a valuable piece of corporate heritage into the bonfire of vanity crated by Jeff and Co.

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 21, 2013 at 7:16 am Reason: Adding quotes to make clear from story
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Bring back the service, put the credit card holders in their proper place in line, then we can talk.
Hear, hear!!!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IADOrange
When I first started watching the new television advertisement, I thought it was something from the 90s. Then I noticed the IFE. Bravo, United. http://nyti.ms/1aXMs0n

I really love the orchestral Rhapsody in Blue association United has. Sure, it may not be the glory days, but still is a great positive link to the brand.
I give this move a definite ^. Sure, they have to actually deliver on the promise, but at least it capitalizes on the positive aspects of United's past.

Originally Posted by spin88
Better that they had actually rolled out some product improvements (not more of the recent downgrades) before chosing to toss a valuable piece of corporate heritage into the bonfire of vanity crated by Jeff and Co.
I think it is a positive move, because at the very least it gets rid of that doofus impressing his SO about how smart he is getting benefits, and the other doofus using benefits to get a better seat. UA's TV commercials of the last 18 months have been the worst among all the airlines. I'm happy to see them up their game, even if they still have a way to go in delivering a consistent product.

Last edited by halls120; Sep 20, 2013 at 3:30 am
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:03 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
I guess they could use the diminutive voice of Mike Tyson for the diminutive "Friendly Skies" of United Express. Something about Mike Tyson's voice and little airplanes go hand in hand.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, AA EXP (UA Status Match)
The moment I saw the PMCO seats, I felt this is so fake, this is not United.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PMUAflyer
The moment I saw the PMCO seats, I felt this is so fake, this is not United.
The airplane was reconfigured ex-domestic pmUA 767. So a little of both.

edit: as I see above, people really will find anything to complain about in this thread.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by tom911
Well, if they did, they can always go back to "United. Rising.".
Fantastic, and it actually would be entirely more appropriate. I've been mildly pleased recently with my UA experience but the airline has a fair amount to correct before the "Friendly Skies" would be reasonable again.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by IADOrange
When I first started watching the new television advertisement, I thought it was something from the 90s. Then I noticed the IFE. Bravo, United. http://nyti.ms/1aXMs0n

I really love the orchestral Rhapsody in Blue association United has. Sure, it may not be the glory days, but still is a great positive link to the brand.
I really like the spot as well. A much better feel then the crappy print campaigns that have been in use. Whenever I see a UA print ad now (napkins, banners, billboards), it always seems like they are YELLING at me. YOU'RE IN ! At least this is a bit more refined.

But I totally understand the skepticism posted by many. United has a huge credibility gap problem. A bit courageous to proclaim the friendly skies when you can't get above 80% on time, irrops recovery sucks, and every message from United proclaims enhancement while delivering degradation.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only is there champagne in coach, but it's served in glass flutes now! I bet in a year UA puts SQ out of business...nothing wrong with a little "friendly" competition, right?

Now this is the real friendly skies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOBnfR9WHSk. RIP!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by spin88
" Henry Harteveldt, travel analyst for Hudson Crossing, called the campaign “a very bold move for United,” but said the advertising carried “the risk of failure: If passengers don’t see United fulfilling its promise of being a ‘user-friendly’ airline, the advertising will be seen as hollow and will backfire.”

Tim Winship, publisher of FrequentFlier.com, a Web site on travel loyalty programs, was dismissive of the campaign, calling “friendly skies” “so last century. In 2013, the skies are anything but friendly, and to suggest otherwise is to insult the intelligence of consumers and invite their scorn.”

I just can't see the slogan working with today's race to the bottom UAL. It will do more harm than good when the slogan has nothing to do with the current "would you like some freshbrew with that JeffMcMuffen" airline.

I have to agree there, UA's domestic F breakfast is served also served as DL's TATL coach breakfast.

You can put .... on fine china but it is still .... on fine china
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
New ad

Well, it is an interesting commercial. But it may play to a deaf ear. To be fair, UA is getting better in operation. This ad may work if there is improvement in other areas, especially those for the most frequent flyers.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
I like this ad, and i like my experiences with UA this year overall, despite a few hiccups here and there.

I'm not sure the percussion section belongs in BusinessFirst though - I'd prefer a soothing violin to get me to sleep. Don't timps and crash cymbals belong in E-?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Unless they are planing to do some massive training and otherwise find ways to increase the moral of their airport agents and on-board crew in the next 48hrs I suspect this campaign will be similar to many of JC Penny's failed rebranding attempts.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
United was a great airline in the past. The new United, led by PMCO, has not been friendly. While United advertising was always some of the best in the industry, the new united does not have the friendliness or service levels anymore to make this campaign work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.