Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zrs70
While FF's may not be happy with the program,
Some aren't, and some aren't happy with some of the changes (and some are happy with others of the changes -- like SDC. Far superior to PMUA practice).

But you're right, there are some FF'ers who aren't happy with anything about United and it's hard to know where to go with such wholesale animus.

I find FA's, pilots, and the experience a pretty friendly one. I think the slogan fits.
The morale, service, and attitudes of FAs, pilots, CSRs has dramatically increased in the last 6 months or so. It's usually a pleasure indeed flying with and dealing with these folks.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
United owes me a new keyboard. I just spit my drink out all over the place. I completely lost it at the end.

“Every thought, every movement, carefully planned coordinated and synchronized. Performing together with a single united purpose. That’s what makes the world leading airline flyer friendly. Fly the Friendly Skies.”

I can help but think of the recent changes to the United Club. If they consider that flyer friendly, God I would hate to see what they consider not. There has been nothing flyer friendly with the changes they have been making lately.

I like Matt Damon, but I really dislike him as the voice of United. It doesn’t sound right. I keep thinking of Bourn or that movie with the crooked cop in Boston. His voice just doesn't go with UA.

With all that said the commercial is still miles better than most of the recent commercials. If they can only make flying United like that commercial.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The morale, service, and attitudes of FAs, pilots, CSRs has dramatically increased in the last 6 months or so. It's usually a pleasure indeed flying with and dealing with these folks.
Aren't the pilots the only one with a new contract in place? If the flight attendants are happy now, they'll probably be even more happier and dancing in the aisles when they get a signed contract with their management coworkers.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
AFTER almost a 20-year hiatus, United Airlines is once again urging travelers to “fly the friendly skies.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/bu...ualcorporation
methinks she doth protest too much
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I love it! I'm thrilled.

Along with some other improvements that will be unveiled soon (), things are really starting to turn around.

As for Matt Damon, well... I would prefer Gene Hackman.

Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CO777DAL

I like Matt Damon, but I really dislike him as the voice of United. It doesn’t sound right. I keep thinking of Bourn or that movie with the crooked cop in Boston. His voice just doesn't go with UA.
The Departed.

I will never separate his name from Team America.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
I can help but think of the recent changes to the United Club. If they consider that flyer friendly, God I would hate to see what they consider not. There has been nothing flyer friendly with the changes they have been making lately.
A big downside of the slogan is that it was (and again is) easily mocked.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
Originally Posted by Sulley
I love it! I'm thrilled.

Along with some other improvements that will be unveiled soon (), things are really starting to turn around.

As for Matt Damon, well... I would prefer Gene Hackman.

How about Morgan Freeman?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by channa
A big downside of the slogan is that it was (and again is) easily mocked.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
But you're right, there are some FF'ers who aren't happy with anything about United and it's hard to know where to go with such wholesale animus.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by channa
Oh lord, are we going to have to listen to co-worker Jeff talk down to us about the "friendly skies" on the intro video?
Does UA not realize how infuriating those videos are? They have exactly opposite the effect intended.

/rant
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Does UA not realize how infuriating those videos are? They have exactly opposite the effect intended.

/rant
I dunno. I like the videos. But I recognize I'm in the minority here!

I think people here are programmed to complain about anything now!

Last edited by zrs70; Sep 20, 2013 at 12:20 am
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:07 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I (almost alone apparently) like the videos and think they're interesting and well done
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I like the videos too and will withhold judgement about "the friendly skies" until we learn more about the campaign tomorrow.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Regarding the video, I am pleased to see that they used a good version of Rhapsody, and not one of the stupid techno versions that we've heard since the merger..

W.r.t the actual slogan, I am not happy to see it back. The Friendly Skies slogan worked well with the old UA branding and the service standards that we expected from the real UA.. With today's CF of an airlines, I expect that it will just tarnish a classic slogan.

Curious to see if this actually helps UA improve their CS.. After the irrops I've dealt with today, and the rudeness I've gotten from various people at the "premier desk", they can't seem to sink any further..
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
After the irrops I've dealt with today, and the rudeness I've gotten from various people at the "premier desk", they can't seem to sink any further..
Well, if they did, they can always go back to "United. Rising.".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.