Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Right instinct, wrong sequence of events. Wise to resurrect one of the most durable brand tags ever; unwise to make it ring so hollow by associating it with the business they've currently got. Fix the airline's culture first, then advertise it as "friendly."

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The Friendly Skies slogan worked well with the old UA branding and the service standards that we expected from the real UA.. With today's CF of an airline, I expect that it will just tarnish a classic slogan... After the irrops I've dealt with today, and the rudeness I've gotten from various people at the "premier desk", they can't seem to sink any further..
Originally Posted by tom911
...they can always go back to "United. Rising.".
.... often cited as a textbook case of tin-ear advertising: the ad agency announced United was "rising" as it was actually imploding culturally and operationally. Employees said afterwards they were never told to say or do anything different during the "Rising" campaign, making the chasm between brand promise and service experience seem even wider. There's a similar risk with this campaign today.

Originally Posted by fly18725
I like the campaign (and know I will be attacked for my opinion). This helps re-build the brand and allows United to promote areas where it adds value for frequent fliers (network, mainline hard product, employees) under a common tag line. As noted in the article, this is aspirational and there is real risk under delivers...
Right, and God knows the brand's been beaten bloody and needs rebuilding, because they've squandered most of its equity by whoring the United name out to terrible credit card marketing that, ironically, positions the core United service experience as essentially unfriendly -- and urges you to get the Chase card to circumvent it. So they have to overcome that too.

Have something to market first, then market it. They do have some premium hard product enhancements to point to but I think it's actually extremely risky to remind people of the "friendly" flying experience of the '60s and '70s and invite comparison to the very difficult endurance contest United represents for most customers today.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by spin88
Better that they had actually rolled out some product improvements (not more of the recent downgrades) before chosing to toss a valuable piece of corporate heritage into the bonfire of vanity crated by Jeff and Co.
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Fantastic, and it actually would be entirely more appropriate. I've been mildly pleased recently with my UA experience but the airline has a fair amount to correct before the "Friendly Skies" would be reasonable again.
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Branding is hardly the issue here. It is the service delivery aspect and that branding simply does not match and there are no visible plans to make the service delivery match the branding.
Originally Posted by BearX220
Right instinct, wrong sequence of events. Wise to resurrect one of the most durable brand tags ever; unwise to make it ring so hollow by associating it with the business they've currently got. Fix the airline's culture first, then advertise it as "friendly."
agreed agreed agreed

if this change comes with a major corporate culture shake up, it will be a great turning point for UA. if not, it will be more hollow BS. my money is, sadly, on the latter.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Hmm...United has this and Rhapsody...bring back the tulip and you may start to have a decent airline!
+1
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Have something to market first, then market it. They do have some premium hard product enhancements to point to but I think it's actually extremely risky to remind people of the "friendly" flying experience of the '60s and '70s and invite comparison to the very difficult endurance contest United represents for most customers today.
I don't disagree with the premise, but I think the argument is a bit hollow considering that until today, the commonly held position on FlyerTalk was that management should have focused on advertising and branding, rather than dedicating efforts to integration and operations.

The Core of UA's Problems: No Innovation, No Creativity

Weak brand that is easily forgettable
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I see some friendly employees, especially the ones I know here in Denver.

Some crews and individual flight attendants have a lot of personality and even some of that old-time polish and sparkle. I enjoy those flights.

Other crews and flight attendants are not so good. Trying to engage them is difficult. I don't try anymore. Last week DEN-LAS (sCO), a veteran (27-year) flight attendant told me: "I love flying, it's the passengers I hate." Not very friendly! An ad campaign is not going to overcome that attitude, that surely comes across to passengers.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I've sort of stayed in the background about a lot of things lately, but I feel it's time to reply on this.

First, yes, bringing back the slogan is a wonderful idea; but to paraphrase what many have said, they can talk the talk, but can they walk the walk. That is going to be the biggest issue I see here, are they ready on all levels to provide the "friendly" service that these ads are going to be talking about?

Second, this goes back to so many things, like the Airbii seat colours, what is the new United brand? I've mentioned this before and I mention it again, as a consumer, I do not understand their brand, their image and they have made it hard for consumers to identify with them.

They ran an ad yesterday for their Credit Card where a guy says I saved $75 on bag fees; my girlfriend who doesn't understand too much about travel said, didn't he pay like $89 to save that $75, didn't he lose $14.. wait why did he only check bags on 1 and a half trips, what about the return flight?

Obviously the change to these ads hopefully will be a positive, and again it's one step back to the path where they learn that pmUA may have done things differently, but they definitely knew their Elite base.

By this time for the past 10 years I had already booked 75 to 100K of travel for the following year... I have 2 trips and 1 was pre Spend announcement and the other is $Zero+Tax ticket, and that is it, because I no longer identify with the brand, I do not trust the systems (ie we all know how to bypass the upgrade queue with RPUs), I do not like baby-sitting my reservations, I don't like having upgrades sold out from under me, and if I have to spend $10,000 for status, I want it to be on an airline that feeds me when I get upgraded on a 2.5 hour flight during snack time, has power in the seats, has wifi on all their planes.

I can only hope that this ad campaign is more than just "Fluff" and that real changes are in the work to fix problems that have continued to manifest themselves over the past year plus. I have too many GS friends and 1K friends that have said they're done, sat next to a GS on an AA flight monday who said he spends 100K a year or used to, he couldn't take it anymore.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
I like it very much but I really hope they will do something and not just say something.

Last edited by pigx5; Sep 20, 2013 at 9:00 am
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:56 am

I can't believe this.

First, the slogan is so untrue. It's on par with the "customer service renaissance" that isn't happening either. COdbaUA is the most UNFRIENDLY company I've ever dealt with, and, according to published surveys, is amongst the top 10 most hated companies in America.

For example:

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/04/09/W...3961365523779/

"United Airlines was named the worst domestic carrier ..."

Second, aside from the inconvenient fact that COdbaUA is the very definition of Unfriendly Skies, I can't believe the lack of imagination! For 3 years they've done nothing meaningful in terms of branding and marketing. And, now, 3 years later, the best they can come up with is to pull an old slogan out of the closet and use it again?

Sad. Very, very sad.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Sep 20, 2013 at 9:05 am
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fly18725
I don't disagree with the premise, but I think the argument is a bit hollow considering that until today, the commonly held position on FlyerTalk was that management should have focused on advertising and branding, rather than dedicating efforts to integration and operations.
A lot of us believe branding and marketing are intrinsic to the success of the airline, and find the events of the last two years tragic. But I don't think anyone here has argued that branding and marketing alone, decoupled from the actual customer experience, can redeem a bad airline. UA suffers from operational mediocrity, a demotivated and apparently undisciplined employee base, and an apparently adversarial view of customers, the example being set at the highest levels. Not terribly friendly, no matter what the ads say.

Originally Posted by Kurt
Last week DEN-LAS (sCO), a veteran (27-year) flight attendant told me: "I love flying, it's the passengers I hate."
There's a brand tag that's right in line with today's UA experience, right there.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
I felt the same way! The seats are some of the most uncomfortable coach seats in the industry. Those seats are not friendly! Hopefully they will improve their services to match what this ad campaign represents!
These are the same seats that are on the pmUA 777s, they are not the same seats as on the pmCO 737s. The only thing differentiating them from the pmUA 777 E seats is the seat cover.

And people wonder why the rest of FT has such a low opinion of the UA forum...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Kurt
"I love flying, it's the passengers I hate." .
Jeff?? Is that, YOU, Jeff??
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i thought the ad itself was fine.

shrug.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Friendly start???

To be friendly to customers, there are many things that UA can do. UA can start from a few things listed below.

1) Reduce the change fees to less than $100 (domestic), $200 (international) and half of these amounts for Premier members;
2) Make the Economy Plus purchase refundable;
3) Allow one free bag for everyone.

Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Is it too soon to bring back the Sunrise Sunset and call it a classic?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Kmxu
To be friendly to customers, there are many things that UA can do. UA can start from a few things listed below.

1) Reduce the change fees to less than $100 (domestic), $200 (international) and half of these amounts for Premier members;
2) Make the Economy Plus purchase refundable;
3) Allow one free bag for everyone.

Eh, those are all business decisions and I'd say are unrelated to the "friendliness" of United. I really just wish they'd get their staff to be nice and consistently provide their product. Disgruntled crew and ground staff who pick and choose the policies they follow (plus make up their own) and generally have little interest in making the passenger's travel experience smooth and comfortable are my primary complaint with UA. That all said, I end on on their planes every week because of their (and my employer's) business choices in which case the friendliness is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.