Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Was watching Manhattan last night, and in the beginning it had on Rhapsody and immediately the first thing that came to my head was United, and it was the Glory days of United as well.

There are definitely still ways to turn things around, the ads really are a great start, but again IF service matches on the ground/air (generally in the air I have no qualms with the service or the friendliness) ground wise there is where the real work is needed. Friendly service in the air can't always fix a clusterf**k that occurred on the ground.

Both Airlines brought some positives to the table, no one can disagree with that, CO definitely brought some things that we all love (online Star award booking is a big one... even though it's about 80% accurate).

I think this is a great campaign, I ONLY WISH that internally United had started this campaign 30-60 days prior to going public with it, it would have REALLY rung true to the customer when after 30-60 days of this upward "Friendly Skies" service trend is happening and the customer doesn't understand why, they are just happy it's happening and then all of a sudden here is this campaign that comes out touting the Friendly Skies.

I think it would have had a much better impact, because almost all of us deep down still wonder how friendly each engagement with UA is going to be.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by spin88

I find your perspective to be an interesting one, and one that ought to make UAL reconsider their course. You are obviously relatively positively inclined to the airline, and have been willing to give them a chance. Yet doing so, you find them to be "not up to other airlines, but improving." Yet that competitive posture is not going to win back customers they lost, and will mean that they continue to loose HVFers, which the data on revenue shows they continue to do.

The difference in our views is that you (glass half full) see this campaign as being a "signal" that management gets it, which I (glass half empty) see it as a sign that managementh realizes that they are in trouble, but rather than addressing the rout cause of the problem, are hopping that they can trick people via a slogan into ignoring the actually service levels as they continue to cut away.
That's fair enough. My history with UA is that as a Chicago-based 1K since 2006. With the CO merger, I imagine like you I've seen a significant downgrade in benefits and customer service. It's why I doubt I'll even fly 50K on United this year -- I'm just not willing to give them my money after the changes of the last several years. And this is after flying them exclusively for well over 5 years (unless I was dragged kicking and screaming to another terminal ORD).

I will say that my thoughts about the campaign aren't simply conjecture, but balanced with on the ground and in the air positive experiences that I didn't have in the last 24 months previous. I don't mean to suggest that they don't have a long way to go -- but imho it is a difference recently. Being so close to a million miles I do feel I have a bit of a interest in United moving forward -- as I continue to use other carriers at the present time.

We'll see.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by johnmont
That's fair enough. My history with UA is that as a Chicago-based 1K since 2006. With the CO merger, I imagine like you I've seen a significant downgrade in benefits and customer service. It's why I doubt I'll even fly 50K on United this year -- I'm just not willing to give them my money after the changes of the last several years. And this is after flying them exclusively for well over 5 years (unless I was dragged kicking and screaming to another terminal ORD).

I will say that my thoughts about the campaign aren't simply conjecture, but balanced with on the ground and in the air positive experiences that I didn't have in the last 24 months previous. I don't mean to suggest that they don't have a long way to go -- but imho it is a difference recently. Being so close to a million miles I do feel I have a bit of a interest in United moving forward -- as I continue to use other carriers at the present time.

We'll see.
I will agree with that, I'm at 1.81MM, I NEVER would have considered flying another airline prior to last year.. now I'm at the crossroads of having flown 47K on AA so far this year with 53K more booked to year end, have had no delays, upgraded on all my flights accept coming back from Anchorage, meals on every flight, sundaes on DFW-SEA/ANC. I can't justify coming back right now. Could I hit the spend on UA, yah I'm sure I could for 1K; but I cannot justify that my inflight experience is worth the spend I'm putting out. That saddens me, because I feel as though I've been put in the position where I don't have the option of giving United another chance.

I cannot justify starting to spend money in 2014 based on hopes that this will be the turn around point, and then once I've lost my 1K and gone back to Gold there is little reason then to come back to UA.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way, those that wouldn't mind coming back, but just feel the risks outweigh the rewards.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by zabes64
I cannot justify starting to spend money in 2014 based on hopes that this will be the turn around point, and then once I've lost my 1K and gone back to Gold there is little reason then to come back to UA.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way, those that wouldn't mind coming back, but just feel the risks outweigh the rewards.
Like you, they have to show me something more than fantasy advertising before I spend more than necessary, or choose a less-than-convenient schedule, to fly UA. Show me the friendly.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I agree totally. Don't forget removing IFE from the A320s, the addition of a ton of Barbie Jets, the crappy food, the boarding mess, the food priority mess etc......

These ads would have been much more meaningful, had they announced improvements to the service. Otherwise, it just looks like more marketing spin from a company that has a track record of spinning.
I agree. I think the ads are fantastic, but they don't match the actual experience of flying UA. I find it hard to believe that many UA customers -- from the grandmas to the GS's -- are truly HAPPY with UA these days. And I don't see any meaningful improvements to the AVERAGE customer's experience. Indeed, just this month, they materially worsened the UA Clubs.

Originally Posted by username
I have not seen this asked....I really like the taxi ad so I watched it again... The last ride with the Rickshaw Tricycle Taxi ... Is there really a UA destination airport where you can get to on that?

It seems to imply BKK or SGN (What language did the "driver" use?) but I don't see that - tuktuk at most...
I actually joked about this a few pages ago. I don't think there's any UA destination where pedicab is a realistic transport option. Even the tuk-tuk at DEL is pushing it from a reality standpoint. I've been picked up at Indian train stations in a tuk-tuk, but I can't recall seeing any of them at a major airport (airports tend to be on the outskirts of town -- kind of out-of-range for a typical tuk-tuk ride).

Of course, a good commercial is like a good movie -- it doesn't necessarily have to be "realistic." Like you're not going to get an orchestra on your next flight.

I will agree with that, I'm at 1.81MM, I NEVER would have considered flying another airline prior to last year.. now I'm at the crossroads of having flown 47K on AA so far this year with 53K more booked to year end, have had no delays, upgraded on all my flights accept coming back from Anchorage, meals on every flight, sundaes on DFW-SEA/ANC. I can't justify coming back right now. Could I hit the spend on UA, yah I'm sure I could for 1K; but I cannot justify that my inflight experience is worth the spend I'm putting out. That saddens me, because I feel as though I've been put in the position where I don't have the option of giving United another chance.
Yeah, I was comped Exec Platinum on AA last year and I think their in-flight product for top elites is significantly better. The domestic food in FC was better and the rare times I sat in coach, I appreciated the free drink and sandwich (I keep lobbying UA to do this, but they don't seem interested). And now they're doing their own Economy+ (funny how they pioneered it, ditched it, and are now catching up). That said, their ff program has become dreadful, so if you care about free travel -- and especially if you don't live at an int'l gateway where there are more partner flights to catch -- it's very hard to recommend AA these days. Of course, I keep thinking "good award availability" is the next shoe to drop at UA; all the other shoes have fallen.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, I was comped Exec Platinum on AA last year and I think their in-flight product for top elites is significantly better. The domestic food in FC was better and the rare times I sat in coach, I appreciated the free drink and sandwich (I keep lobbying UA to do this, but they don't seem interested). And now they're doing their own Economy+ (funny how they pioneered it, ditched it, and are now catching up). That said, their ff program has become dreadful, so if you care about free travel -- and especially if you don't live at an int'l gateway where there are more partner flights to catch -- it's very hard to recommend AA these days. Of course, I keep thinking "good award availability" is the next shoe to drop at UA; all the other shoes have fallen.
I'm in DC/Sweden and I have had no issues, most of my awards go to my Godfather in LA anyway, but got him tickets on Cathay from BKK to LAX no problem, obviously using BA is a joke and that is a definite downside.

I'm also receiving VERY friendly service, thanked for my business on every flight. I don't care if I sit in Y because I do get a free drink/sandwich, and OH YAH they have Samsung Notes that show the passenger seat in Green for those that get the free drink/snack. Also First Class, ExPlats, Emeralds board first, then Priority AAccess, which is a nice touch.

So going back to this Friendly Skies thing, UA needs to bring that to the table to convince anyone that has left to come back, yah I connect more now, but you know what, my travel experience is less stressful, I may get somewhere 2h later, but I'm there refreshed and happy and that's a big deal. The Friendly Skies need to really make Customers have a stress free travel experience and recognize customers as valuable, not as how much did you pay this trip.

UA puts that on the table, it can convince people to come back; but customers are going to keep them on a very short leash and the first sign of significant failure or "unfriendly" situation like the attempted IDB at LAX that a poster posted and that customer is gone.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by username
I have not seen this asked....I really like the taxi ad so I watched it again... The last ride with the Rickshaw Tricycle Taxi ... Is there really a UA destination airport where you can get to on that?

It seems to imply BKK or SGN (What language did the "driver" use?) but I don't see that - tuktuk at most...
They are banned with 1000ft of airports in India too (or some similar distance).

On this I am pro United for showing it. Yes it is a bit if a stretch taken literally, but it plays up the culture available to customers just one non stop away - on UNITED.

Anything showing trans ocean international will always get a thumbs up from me. That is why I chose UNITED to begin with. Not DEN-PDX options.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yawn. Just like the re-release on DVD for the 20th anniversary of a bad movie doesn't make it any better, bringing back a good slogan to a bad airline won't make it any better.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

SDC is a huge plus for me.
Me too, and recently I found to my surprise that it works quite well internationally too! Everything done on-line..

Was watching Manhattan last night, and in the beginning it had on Rhapsody and immediately the first thing that came to my head was United, and it was the Glory days of United as well.
Me too, although I must admit it also brings me back to those times in the 90's when I was on-hold with UA hoping for that upgrade, and that Gershwin piano part played endlessly. dit-dit-dit-dididit-dit-dit-etc (back when you had to call for upgrades!)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
They are banned with 1000ft of airports in India too (or some similar distance).

On this I am pro United for showing it. Yes it is a bit if a stretch taken literally, but it plays up the culture available to customers just one non stop away - on UNITED.

Anything showing trans ocean international will always get a thumbs up from me. That is why I chose UNITED to begin with. Not DEN-PDX options.
I am just glad that woman is not big and did not seem to have any luggage Otherwise, the "driver" should get a big tip

The other funny thing is that the taxi driver in NYC is actually American

Last edited by username; Sep 22, 2013 at 12:38 am
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Do you think flight operations will show additional improvements once you don't have to run separate operations, sCO and sUA?
Absolutely. The first "vacancy bid" that will begin this process will be out very soon. This will make it much easier for the company to place the right equipment in the right market. The side by side hubs operations will begin to combine reducing the inherent inertia in that kind of poorly designed system. It's another big step in the right direction and most of the guys I fly with are happy to see it.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With all the improvements, maybe the next campaign to recycle is United Rising As long as it is not like DL's Keep [SkyMiles redemption level] Climbing, it is fine
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:04 am

I think this is a great campaign, I ONLY WISH that internally United had started this campaign 30-60 days prior to going public with it, it would have REALLY rung true to the customer when after 30-60 days of this upward "Friendly Skies" service trend is happening and the customer doesn't understand why, they are just happy it's happening and then all of a sudden here is this campaign that comes out touting the Friendly Skies.

I think it would have had a much better impact, because almost all of us deep down still wonder how friendly each engagement with UA is going to be.
I think they did?

Wasn't there an announcement over the summer about sending all customer facing employees to customer service training?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Wasn't there an announcement over the summer about sending all customer facing employees to customer service training?
This is in the "friendly skies" press release issued yesterday:

Invested in new customer service training programs for all of the airline's customer-contact employees, with nearly 90 percent of flight attendants, contact-center employees and airport-based employees having completed training programs in 2013 designed to help them find new ways to offer solutions to customers and better support each other
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by tom911
This is in the "friendly skies" press release issued yesterday:
Thanks Tom!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.