Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:36 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
I saw the commercial and I just laughed.

Even more funny, a few minutes later, AA ran a commercial on that All Aisle lie flat business class seats. Those seats are sublime! I enjoyed one last week LHR-JFK.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi anc-ord772,
Yes, it’s true. We’re proud to welcome back “Fly the Friendly Skies” as a cherished but updated part of our brand, and excited to share even more about it with you tomorrow and in the coming days.
There's another old advertising tag line that bears mentioning... "Where's the beef?"

IMHO it is going to take a lot to prove that a rehashed advertising slogan means anything. In the last 2 years my wife and I have seen drastic cutbacks in service and customer service for loyal repeat customers. The 3 lower tiers of the frequent flyer program have all been dumbed down and have a lot less to offer when compared to the premerger benefits. And I will be pleasantly surprised to see more smiling faces of every UA employee from the ticket counter to the flight crew but I really don't expect it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by EWR756
Ok, we'll, have at it. My experience has been different. I don't fly domestic. 8 trips would be more than a month for me. What I've flown has been better. Perhaps we work for different airlines. I'm EWR based. Here, things have improved.
Yes, we seem to work for different airlines. My last trip through Newark had a gate agent screaming at a passenger, ground crews that couldn't be found for 10 minutes after push time, and then 20 aircraft in front of me for takeoff with clear skies and calm winds. Can't recall an on-time departure through Newark for me.

Originally Posted by star_world
They have a "low goal" of 80% OT? I presume you either made that up or have access to some other data we haven't seen here. The quote you're thinking of included language that said there are diminishing returns above 80%, which I'm sure you realise isn't the same at all. When did that become their goal?
The "bonus" program is for On-time of 81% or better.

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
There's another old advertising tag line that bears mentioning... "Where's the beef?"
I agree. I hope that United will keep improving our product and operations.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Sep 24, 2013 at 8:04 pm
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA G
Wait, JetBlue has free DirecTV, snacks, and 34" legroom for everyone. Flyer Friendly? What?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
While they are bringing back memories of the olden days, lets list a few things we wouldnt mind seeing back:

I fondly remember the old 500 mile upgrade coupons, that would be one of my first choices. And I say that despite my 50% rate on CPU eligible flights this year. Of course, CPU's on RJ's dont exist so my overall rate is, shall we say, much lower than 50%
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by shortkidd
From take off to landing, putting you first.

We're working hard to deliver the products and services you want, by providing the complete travel experience you expect and deserve. It's this commitment that's inspired us to reinterpret our famous tagline fly the friendly skiesSM.

“Friendly” now means more than it ever did. It means being user‑friendly. In other words, flyer‑friendlySM. We're giving you an unmatched global network with more onboard product features, better technology and, of course, great customer service.
This must be Singapore Airlines. Nobody who flied both UA and SQ will confuse the two.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by goalie
I just saw "the symphony playing in coach" ad while watching the football game and is it me or does the very end of the ad look like a car windshield with a spiderweb crack in it?
That is exactly how I see it as well. Disturbing.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:15 am

Delta decided to counter this...

Saw on the local Today show break this morning a Delta ad talking about "not looking back at history" and "moving forward." Felt like a jab at United. Surprised they could put it together so quickly (there were staged shots of Wright Brothers museum busts) unless someone on the United account leaked...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Saw on the local Today show break this morning a Delta ad talking about "not looking back at history" and "moving forward." Felt like a jab at United. Surprised they could put it together so quickly (there were staged shots of Wright Brothers museum busts) unless someone on the United account leaked...
Ooooo! Maybe this will spur some competition for improvements in service, rather than continuing "The Race To The Bottom".
hahahahahahahahaha
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I got excited a little too early when I heard United was bringing back "Friendly Skies".

Instead it got overdone with "Info Friendly", "Flyer Friendly", "Work and Play Friendly", etc.....

Why not just stay with a simple slogan of "Come Fly the Friendly Skies"??

I still like to PMUA's old ads...simple, elegant, timeless....even the PMUA "Rhapsody in Blue" renditions sounded better.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:59 am

Delta has been running this ad for at least a month, if not longer.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat

Funny - I always interpreted the message in the DL ad as something along the lines of "forget those awful memories you have of us because of how bad we were, focus on the future instead!"

Originally Posted by fly18725
Delta has been running this ad for at least a month, if not longer.
Agreed - I've seen this ad several times before the current UA campaign.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I got excited a little too early when I heard United was bringing back "Friendly Skies". Instead it got overdone with "Info Friendly", "Flyer Friendly", "Work and Play Friendly", etc.....

Why not just stay with a simple slogan of "Come Fly the Friendly Skies"??
Sigh. Perhaps because the old ads, while iconic, pointed to an aspect of travel that has proven less important to frequent flyers than having a broad route map, a worldwide alliance, industry-leading award availability, competitive pricing, and the latest technology. (And before helpful wags pipe up that UA doesn't currently possess the latest technology, yes, we all know that. Sometimes advertising is about skating not to where the puck is, but where it will be.)

No one is denying that staff interactions are important. But clearly, UA has done the research to demonstrate that the qualities above matter more. Twenty years of industry trends bear it out as well. I find the fact that they've produced a series of ads pointing to their strengths while still emotionally hearkening back to their glory days rather brilliant.

Last edited by RandomBaritone; Sep 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
work has put me on the road for a couple weeks and i haven't been out and about in NYC for a while, but holy crap. i landed at newark, the friendly ads are everywhere. looked out the window and saw a bunch of them on the top of taxis. took the subway to go to a bar, and saw a bit of this:

http://skift.com/2013/09/27/the-unit...er-nyc-subways

i know NYC is a key market for all the airlines, and the old CO always marketed heavily here (i remember seeing the work hard, fly right ads everywhere) but holy crap. haha it's pretty hilarious. i guess it's still a welcome sight after seeing mr. barrett and his credit card everywhere in the city.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
WAIT A MINUTE. What was the "nice surprise" for yesterday, Friday Sept 27th???!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.