Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:20 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
At that point, it's typically front-to-back. But they may also ask some pax if they wouldn't mind switching to their second choice if there are any issues (e.g. someone is a vegetarian who won't be getting his or her choice).
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
If more then one of the choices is OK by me, I will usually let the FA know..."I would like the Chicken, but the pasta is OK if you need to accommodate some one" else.

Gives them some flexibility if needed, plus they are usually grateful for the help...which can result in some great service.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
At that point, it's typically front-to-back. But they may also ask some pax if they wouldn't mind switching to their second choice if there are any issues (e.g. someone is a vegetarian who won't be getting his or her choice).
One of my last A320 segments (IIRC ORD-DEN or DEN-PHX) the FA working FC stood in the galley aisle and belted out

"OK, Listen up first class, we have two...actually...three choices for lunch today. Option 1 is the XXX, Option 2 is YYY, option 3 is nothing. I'll be coming through for your first and second choice and what you're drinking. We have 8 XXX and 4 YYY so only GS is guaranteed to get the first choice."

Although I though the delivery was a little...unrefined and lacking in polish...it was perhaps the most efficient order-taking I've seen. A FA friend was astounded and said that was definitely not an approved method but confirmed the GS > 1K > All Other Rev > Nonrev Priority, though orders are supposed to be taken front-to-back and then prioritized in the galley (at least for sCO)
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by goodeats21
If more then one of the choices is OK by me, I will usually let the FA know..."I would like the Chicken, but the pasta is OK if you need to accommodate some one" else.

Gives them some flexibility if needed, plus they are usually grateful for the help...which can result in some great service.
This has been my husband's approach for years, and you are right about the response. Especially useful when I (eating vegetarian) can't have one of the choices. If they can't accommodate me with a premium meal, the FAs almost invariably offer (or accept my suggestion of) a BOB alternative from coach, contrary to others' experiences reported on FT.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lskohn
This has been my husband's approach for years, and you are right about the response. Especially useful when I (eating vegetarian) can't have one of the choices. If they can't accommodate me with a premium meal, the FAs almost invariably offer (or accept my suggestion of) a BOB alternative from coach, contrary to others' experiences reported on FT.
Anumber of reports of this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...confirmed.html
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:16 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
One of my last A320 segments (IIRC ORD-DEN or DEN-PHX) the FA working FC stood in the galley aisle and belted out

"OK, Listen up first class, we have two...actually...three choices for lunch today. Option 1 is the XXX, Option 2 is YYY, option 3 is nothing. I'll be coming through for your first and second choice and what you're drinking. We have 8 XXX and 4 YYY so only GS is guaranteed to get the first choice."

Although I though the delivery was a little...unrefined and lacking in polish...it was perhaps the most efficient order-taking I've seen. A FA friend was astounded and said that was definitely not an approved method but confirmed the GS > 1K > All Other Rev > Nonrev Priority, though orders are supposed to be taken front-to-back and then prioritized in the galley (at least for sCO)
Reminds me of the joke about meals on Aeroflot -- "You have 2 choices for dinner tonight, yogurt, or nothing."

What a stark contrast with some other airlines where the FA would be individually and politely apologetic at your seat for the embarrassment of not having your first choice.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This year as 1K I've experienced explicit meal priority twice. The first was IAH-PTY where the FA took my lunch order before the rest of the cabin. The second was on LH flying FRA-TLL in Y. Before the cabin service started the purser acknowledged my status and then gave me my choice of lunch. A half of a turkey salami sandwich.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Reminds me of the joke about meals on Aeroflot -- "You have 2 choices for dinner tonight, yogurt, or nothing."

What a stark contrast with some other airlines where the FA would be individually and politely apologetic at your seat for the embarrassment of not having your first choice.
Yeah I think that FA would have been more at home on Aeroflot ... Thankfully it was a stark contrast from every other UA (Domestic/Premium cabin) meal service... But if that was a flyers first time in F on UA would discourage a repeat purchase...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:54 pm

Haven't seen a 2016 thread yet, but this morning on my POS-IAH flight, they did front-to-back. The flight did not appear to be elite-heavy, based on the upgrade list size and the sizes of group 1 and 2. The F cabin didn't have many upgrades in it, either. So I find it somewhat hard to believe they were prioritizing and 1K and GS ahead of me had simply taken all of 2 of the 3 options...
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:55 pm

On IAH-IAD (lie-flat 752), the GA bounced around the cabin, taking GS orders 1st, then 1K orders, then front-to-back for everyone else. At least she prioritized.

The meal choices on that one were horrid, FWIW. That was the 2nd time we had "Chicken Curry Katsu," which the GA the last time it was offered apologized for repeatedly and suggested people write in to UA to complain about--and yes, it's horrid. The other choice was a chicken sausage, chicken, and shrimp paella, which also was terrible. Several pax asked about a vegetarian option and were told, "Well, if you insist, I can take away one of the FA's meals and give you a salad."
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
RDU-SFO last week, operated by a 737-800. Meal orders were taken by status, but they also gave first choice to a 1K's companion (I'd seen her BP at the gate, she had no status). By the time they finished this and got to me in row 3, they had only one choice left (down from an original three). As a Silver, I hate this process, though I know damn well if I was a 1K I'd love it.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
FLL IAH and IAH SEA on 9JAN, both flights had orders taken front to back, no prioritization.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
RDU-SFO last week, operated by a 737-800. Meal orders were taken by status, but they also gave first choice to a 1K's companion (I'd seen her BP at the gate, she had no status). By the time they finished this and got to me in row 3, they had only one choice left (down from an original three). As a Silver, I hate this process, though I know damn well if I was a 1K I'd love it.
As a new 1K I can't say I mind it but I think if they're going to do anything but FTB or FEBO they should prioritize paid-over-upgraded (either "All Paid F then GS/1K then everyone else or" "Paid GS/1K-Everyone then Upgraded GS/1K/Everyone") Last year, as a Plat in a paid F seat (it was either an F or A fare basis) -- actually, based on the count on the UG list, the only passenger who paid for the cabin -- and by the time my order was taken in 2A they only had one option (that I couldn't eat) left. I was not happy...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Both flights yesterday (SEA-IAH, IAH-MEX) meal orders taken front to back with no prioritization.

-RM
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
FLL IAH and IAH SEA on 9JAN, both flights had orders taken front to back, no prioritization.
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Both flights yesterday (SEA-IAH, IAH-MEX) meal orders taken front to back with no prioritization.

-RM
How do you know they didn't prioritize in the galley? If all choices were offered to all rows, it is possible they prioritized in the galley?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.