Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
I am curious, how do you know there was only 1 GS onboard? They don't always board when GS is called to board. Some hang back, some stay in the lounge until last minute. So I am just curious how you know this?
Yes, you are correct, technically I don't know this. Only 1 GS pre-boarded but F was full within 5 minutes of boarding commencing. The fact remains that the process of prioritizing wasn't followed. How do I know this? The lady to my right got the last salmon - actually the FA left it up to us to decide who would get it. He went from front to back and by the time he reached us he said we're out of salmon - only 1 left. Which of you wants it? I was in row 4. If you are GS and choose the bulkhead I guess you should get your salmon though!
Old May 22, 2015, 3:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Yes, you are correct, technically I don't know this. Only 1 GS pre-boarded but F was full within 5 minutes of boarding commencing. The fact remains that the process of prioritizing wasn't followed. How do I know this? The lady to my right got the last salmon - actually the FA left it up to us to decide who would get it. He went from front to back and by the time he reached us he said we're out of salmon - only 1 left. Which of you wants it? I was in row 4. If you are GS and choose the bulkhead I guess you should get your salmon though!
or 1Ks rows 1, 2 or 3. Very easy to have enough prior 1Ks to be gone by row 4. Could have been a selection mix issue, not a FA process issue.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
or 1Ks rows 1, 2 or 3. Very easy to have enough prior 1Ks to be gone by row 4. Could have been a selection mix issue, not a FA process issue.
That's true I suppose. I still am dogged in my insistence they didn't consider status. Usually the FA will come by with the manifest... Say my name and ask for first or second choice. When they do that they know my name and status.. The FA in this case didn't have a manifest. Didn't know my name and presumably not my status. Just had a piece of paper he was writing orders on.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
I had a new and different experience in biz on SFO-NRT 2 days ago. The FA went front to back, asked my seatmate what he wanted, he ordered the Japanese meal...
She took at least 20 seconds while she scanned a list, then told him it was OK. I ordered the Seafood and she immediatly said "that's fine".

Another odd thing happened. 3 choices are listed for arrival: cereal, eggs or an Asian meal, usually consisting of noodles -- this time Pork Katsu.
EVERY time I am offered only the first 2 choices. EVERY time I ask for the Asian meal and am told they ran out or sometimes they never had it in the first place.
This time was the same, but this time I wanted to know WHY can I NEVER have that Asian meal? Is it because its reserved for Japanese passengers? The Japanese FA got very embarrassed and after some hemming and hawing (while I stared at her waiting for an answer), she said they only load 4 and they give them to the GS passengers. I shrugged and let it go.
A few minutes later the Purser (I think she was, not positive), came over to me and apologized. She admitted they do give priority of those meals to their Japanese customers because that's "all they can eat".
I just looked at her and said "wow".
Since when is my race a factor in what service or meal I get?
I believe my friend & I was on your flight! We sat in the front row upper deck and we both got the Pork Katsu! We are both Asian, but not Japanese and we are both 1K. The FA did not ask us for a second choice, she just said 'OK'.

Last edited by sf4dfish; May 22, 2015 at 4:56 pm Reason: Add info
Old May 24, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
Originally Posted by sf4dfish
Quote:

I believe my friend & I was on your flight! We sat in the front row upper deck and we both got the Pork Katsu! We are both Asian, but not Japanese and we are both 1K. The FA did not ask us for a second choice, she just said 'OK'.
The last part is more what I am used to. Flying PS from JFK to SFO with my GF and a full flight. Sitting beside me she is asked for her first and second choices. Then the FA asks what I would like (1K) I tell him my first and then start to tell my second choice and he chuckles and says that won't be necessary. Took that to mean there aren't enough 1K/GS to prevent me from getting my beef! Luckily the GF is a vegetarian so the noodles were an easy grab with no status.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium
5/24 IAD-SEA order was taken from front to back with no mention to status, since I sit in 1A I got my first choice.
5/26 MCO-SFO FA took order for all 1Ks from back to front, I was the last 1K to be asked, I purposely chose 1A because I want to make sure I have choice fortunately when FA got to me all 3 choices were still available
Old May 26, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I was on a flight from Chicago to San Francisco recently. I was in the last row of FC and as I heard the FA move from front to back, he started mentioning less and less options. When he finally got to me, he only offered one menu item and nothing else. I asked about the other menu items and he said they were unavailable.

I asked him if he was prioritizing based on status. He then asked what my status was (1k) and then asked me what I wanted. I told him and then he went to the last passenger that ordered it and said "the guy with status wants your meal so you will have to have XYZ."

Was this really necessary? It made me uncomfortable and made it embarrassing for the other passenger - someone who may have paid full fare - no status? If the FA followed the protocol, it would have avoided this awkward situation. Unfortunately, the meal was terrible and I wished I hadn't ordered it in the first place. Go figure.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ShotgunKid
I was on a flight from Chicago to San Francisco recently. I was in the last row of FC and as I heard the FA move from front to back, he started mentioning less and less options. When he finally got to me, he only offered one menu item and nothing else. I asked about the other menu items and he said they were unavailable.

I asked him if he was prioritizing based on status. He then asked what my status was (1k) and then asked me what I wanted. I told him and then he went to the last passenger that ordered it and said "the guy with status wants your meal so you will have to have XYZ."

Was this really necessary? It made me uncomfortable and made it embarrassing for the other passenger - someone who may have paid full fare - no status? If the FA followed the protocol, it would have avoided this awkward situation. Unfortunately, the meal was terrible and I wished I hadn't ordered it in the first place. Go figure.
Gotta love this approach. It does point out the silliness of all this " I want my choice" hysteria.

Last edited by goalie; May 26, 2015 at 10:01 am Reason: off topic comments removed
Old May 26, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: United Gold
Did SFO-HNL today and the FA asked everyone for 2 choices. Then I noticed her in the galley looking at her notes and what I assume was a passenger manifest.

In my opinion this is the best way to do it, with one of the downsides being that someone might have to settle for the 3rd option as their first two were out.

I got my first choice (short ribs) which was delicious, the dessert (vanilla chocolate chip something) unfortunately was not.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by chavala
I'm flying AA DFW-HNL and LAX-DFW next month as was floored when I found out I'm able to choose my meal online 30 days in advance. I had no idea any of the domestic carriers did this. wow.
Don't be too impressed. Half the time I pre-order on AA, it's either not communicated from the Website to the airplane, or my name is on the manifest for a choice but not enough meals of the type I requested were loaded (and as a lowly AA GLD I lose out to PLT and EXP who pre-ordered).
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
Don't be too impressed. Half the time I pre-order on AA, it's either not communicated from the Website to the airplane, or my name is on the manifest for a choice but not enough meals of the type I requested were loaded (and as a lowly AA GLD I lose out to PLT and EXP who pre-ordered).
I'm an AA nothing, but on the same res as my EXP s/o, (yes, a mixed marriage), so hoping.

Last edited by chavala; Jun 18, 2015 at 12:45 pm Reason: sp
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by PPM
This entire thread is ridiculous. The issue is that United does not board enough meals so that each passenger has his/her own choice of entre. There is not a respectable international carrier that does not board enough options that each passenger has the choice. My recent flight on Etihad completely changed my perspective on this. United is running the premium classes like they are a third class airline, at best with respect to catering. No guaranteed first choice entre, low quality wines, club soda instead of sparkling water and ridiculous coffee, not to mention not having espresso and cappuccino like other premium cabins.
It's only one datum but I was in FC on Thai and was not able to have my first choice of entree. Not sure what happened.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:49 pm

On 3 class plane (Y-BF-GF), since GF and BF have the same entree, does GF trump BF? Ie Front to Back, GS and 1k for GF, then on to BF...
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by PPM
This entire thread is ridiculous. The issue is that United does not board enough meals so that each passenger has his/her own choice of entre. There is not a respectable international carrier that does not board enough options that each passenger has the choice. My recent flight on Etihad completely changed my perspective on this. United is running the premium classes like they are a third class airline, at best with respect to catering. No guaranteed first choice entre, low quality wines, club soda instead of sparkling water and ridiculous coffee, not to mention not having espresso and cappuccino like other premium cabins.
When complimentary upgrades became the norm for domestic US flights across most carriers, I wondered what this would do to the quality of FC service. The catering on both halves of UA has suffered tremendously.

I don't think UA is willing to spend much more on catering to either improve the quality or quantity of meals to ensure first choice. The fact they are prioritizing proves that.

Originally Posted by physioprof
It's not that simple, as then they have to implement a process for conveying the information to the caterers, as opposed to them just having a standard load for each flight. (Not that I disagree they should do this, but it's not trivial.)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The process already exists to handle special meal orders - just add the entire menu plan to that same interface and let people pre-order from the same webpage/process.
UA has said before in surveys they are looking at customers pre-ordering meals but nothing has happened.

Once upon a time there were two airlines, one of which innovated by introducing p.s. service on transcons, explus which brought FC to regionals, and economy plus to provide more legroom to its most frequent travelers. The other airline concentrated on providing a better inflight experience (such as better meals) than its competitors. And then they merged resulting in no more innovation, sad meals, sadder wines, and poor operational performance. However the executive team's compensation soared and they felt all was well with the world.

Originally Posted by coplatsat
On 3 class plane (Y-BF-GF), since GF and BF have the same entree, does GF trump BF? Ie Front to Back, GS and 1k for GF, then on to BF...
Yes it should and in my experience always has.

Last edited by uanj; Jun 18, 2015 at 7:51 pm Reason: sp
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by PPM
Not going to get into the subsidies debate because frankly I don't know enough about it.

UA has to make money for a few years, then maybe they will load the meals required to compete. Give them a break, they have just overcome 15 years of very tough operating environments.

US carriers operate in their own sphere and have lost billions of dollars since 9/11, and even before our premiere carriers like TWA, Pan Am, Eastern and Braniff disappeared because the US Govt doesn't want to be seen as supporting money losing operations. And I know we have chapter 11 which is an unfair advantage. But Pan Am was an instrument of the US Govt and when they were going through the last shudder of life they were allowed to die - despite all the innovations they brought to aviation and all they did for our national interest - like volunteering to fly into Saigon to rescue staff and Americans before the city fell to North Vietnamese forces. US carriers operate under incredible domestic competition and their operations are based over several domestic hubs (like 5 or 6) compared to European, Middle Eastern and Asian carriers who may have at most most 2 hubs but usually one super hub. I would argue, with US Airline consolidation, and subsequently record profits, that US carriers have the potential to come up for breath and in the next few years offer a better soft product to rival their foreign counterparts.

So when you don't get your first choice of meal on UA, just remember despite all their cancellations, when they operate they safely get you to your destination. They don't take off on runways under construction, they don't (apart from UAX) overshoot runways, they don't land in fields a mile short of the runway, they don't end up in fragrant harbors, they don't flip over on landing in Narita or Hong Kong during Typhoons, and the list goes goes on.

Everyone loves to hate US carriers at the moment, but in 1985 or 1986 I remember reading in the Economist how TWA and Pan Am were killing BA and the European carriers. Things change fast. I am not saying that having flight attendants who are still flying in their 80's is innovative, or I am proud of how lousy the food and operational dependency of UA is compared to already mentioned foreign carriers. But I see the tide turning ever so slowly. And hopefully soon we will no longer be the laughing stock but a respected global competitor. Because that will be a benefit to the traveling world and good for everyone!

Adam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.