Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Official UNITED policy for meal preferences is to prioritize in the following order: (as of late 2023)
  1. Pre-orders
  2. Global Services members
  3. 1K members
  4. All other revenue passengers from front to back (no difference between $$$ or mileage or upgraders)
  5. Non-Revs

The proper way is to take orders front-to-back, and apply priority in the galley afterwards. Some FAs may still hop around the cabin seeking GS and 1Ks and take their orders first.
With the sharp increase in passengers pre-ordering meals, front-to-back ordering is now predominant.

Previous thread: Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Old May 26, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
This discussion of meal order issues is laughable when AA has had meal pre-orders for a while now. Why can't UA do the same? Then they can't say "Oh we didn't load enough xyz meals".

For me, when they ran out of a certain pre-arrival meal, the FA told me to order the pre-arrival meal in advance, during regular dinner selection, on my next flight. It worked liked a charm on the return segment. Well at least it worked when I was a 1K last year. This year as a PLT, the FAs may not save a preferred pre-arrival meal for me anymore
Old May 26, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
For me, when they ran out of a certain pre-arrival meal, the FA told me to order the pre-arrival meal in advance, during regular dinner selection, on my next flight. It worked liked a charm on the return segment. Well at least it worked when I was a 1K last year. This year as a PLT, the FAs may not save a preferred pre-arrival meal for me anymore
I just did this on my flight home NRT-DEN ysterday. I told them to please save me a pre-arrival Asian meal. So I finally got one, the Yakisoba, and ironically it was awful! Tasted like Oodles of Noodles with ketchup and cardboard discs (which were supposed to be scallops).
Old May 26, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: CM PP DL GM
No Luck for a GS

This year I have flown 15 long haul BF flights I never been asked for my meal before other passengers and I have sat in the middle of the cabin so at least for this GS has never happened this year
Old May 26, 2015, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
This year I have flown 15 long haul BF flights I never been asked for my meal before other passengers and I have sat in the middle of the cabin so at least for this GS has never happened this year
You're not supposed to get asked first. FAs are supposed to take orders by row and prioritize based on status in the galley.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Just to add a bit of levity to this thread...

The other day I was in in 1A on a transcon 757-300. The FA comes to me and deadpans, "Hi, I see this is your first United Airlines flight so I want to take your meal order first so you may enjoy our new cuisine options."

After a half-second of initial shock (as a GS and 3+mm), we both burst out laughing. And the ribs dish was quite good!
Old May 26, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by wxguy
Just to add a bit of levity to this thread...

The other day I was in in 1A on a transcon 757-300. The FA comes to me and deadpans, "Hi, I see this is your first United Airlines flight so I want to take your meal order first so you may enjoy our new cuisine options."

After a half-second of initial shock (as a GS and 3+mm), we both burst out laughing. And the ribs dish was quite good!
I love FA's like that - really make a difference in an otherwise bland experience. I've gotten to know some of the crews to APAC so when they come up to me they simply say "Mr. Bmwe92fan, I know you've eaten here before so I presume you will be skipping the meal service..." - I smile and thank them - and then they move on to the person next to me / across the aisle - and the look on their face is precious. Depending on how much wine I've had sometimes I just look at them and shake my head no....

I like the fact that the crews actually recall that I don't eat the main meals heading to APAC - and that are comfortable enough to have fun with it...
Old May 27, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
On SNA-EWR afternoon flight Monday (737 w three rows in F), FA went to 3A, asked for meal choice, and then went to 1A and back through the cabin in order.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: CM PP DL GM
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're not supposed to get asked first. FAs are supposed to take orders by row and prioritize based on status in the galley.
Well as GS I do have priority for meal orders
Old May 28, 2015, 8:28 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chavala
I just did this on my flight home NRT-DEN ysterday. I told them to please save me a pre-arrival Asian meal. So I finally got one, the Yakisoba, and ironically it was awful! Tasted like Oodles of Noodles with ketchup and cardboard discs (which were supposed to be scallops).
I find it funny that when ordering the Japanese meal on NRT flights, the FAs almost always ask, "Do you want the special meal?" for pre-arrival... when it's inevitably one of the three choices as it is, and never one they seem to run out of (unlike the main meal). And yes, it's typically horrible.

They ran out of cereal in the first row of C yesterday, too. "You won't believe this, but they only cater 4 cereals for all of C, and the first 4 pax asked for it." In the J/K seats, there were indeed 4 pax asked ahead.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Apparently you don't based on your report upthread

Maybe you should complain to GS about not receiving proper treatment
Old May 29, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The policy is to not bounce around the cabin but to ask everyone their first and second choice (they usually only ask GS for first choice as should get it) then sort it out in the galley by status. So you would get priority based on GS but they should not be coming to you first and bounce around the cabin to the other GS and 1K's.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Actually, there is no policy that you have any more priority over anyone relative to meal ordering. You have priority in meal choice. The actual policy may have you approached last (eg if you're in row 6 of a 75x), but your choice should be available, assuming the # of GSs seated in front of you ordering the same thing is less than the quantity of the selection catered.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 29, 2015 at 1:27 pm Reason: speling
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
DEN-PHL today with 5 rows (20 seats of F). I actually paid for F since it was that or sit middle E- due to late (a week) booking. They did not take orders and prioritize. Asian noodle with chicken salad or a chicken sandwich- but when they got me in in row four, only Chicken sandwich...

I asked what happened to the noodle salad and she just smiled and said "I have a chicken sandwich!". Kind of annoying since I know that 5 people ahead of me were upgrades and I paid cash money to be there. I frankly don't give a crap if they were all GS.

When it comes to TODs, cash is king for UA, but not so much for F food.

Chicken sandwich was HARD. I had a hard time forking it, and I the chicken was all in one quarter of the sandwich. I've been a fan of the new F cabin food up until now.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
If I get upgraded at T-120, I show on the upgrade list. So how do you know the upgrades aren't GS? And I assume you read the wiki, so is this just a venting of anger for not getting your choice?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
And what if someone paid full fare Y and were upgraded which probably cost more than your F fare?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.