Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Official UNITED policy for meal preferences is to prioritize in the following order: (as of late 2023)
  1. Pre-orders
  2. Global Services members
  3. 1K members
  4. All other revenue passengers from front to back (no difference between $$$ or mileage or upgraders)
  5. Non-Revs

The proper way is to take orders front-to-back, and apply priority in the galley afterwards. Some FAs may still hop around the cabin seeking GS and 1Ks and take their orders first.
With the sharp increase in passengers pre-ordering meals, front-to-back ordering is now predominant.

Previous thread: Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin
I don't care? I bought an F seat, I should get my choice of F'ing meal. I'm totally comfortable with that in the reverse situation.
i understand and used to be of this opinion...paid first shouldn't lose priority to someone else...they paid more. but then again, if u are going to prioritize vs. $$ spent, then probably that upgraded GS or 1k probably should trump the no status paid first
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by pruss2ny
i understand and used to be of this opinion...paid first shouldn't lose priority to someone else...they paid more. but then again, if u are going to prioritize vs. $$ spent, then probably that upgraded GS or 1k probably should trump the no status paid first
And who knows what "paid first" versus "upgraded economy" even means dollars wise? I just did a flight change from an instant-upgraded expensive Y economy fare to a discount P first-class fare on the same route and got a $1200 refund. It is a fallacy to think that "paid first" versus "upgraded GS or 1K" tells you anything about who paid what.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:31 pm
PPM

This entire thread is ridiculous. The issue is that United does not board enough meals so that each passenger has his/her own choice of entre. There is not a respectable international carrier that does not board enough options that each passenger has the choice. My recent flight on Etihad completely changed my perspective on this. United is running the premium classes like they are a third class airline, at best with respect to catering. No guaranteed first choice entre, low quality wines, club soda instead of sparkling water and ridiculous coffee, not to mention not having espresso and cappuccino like other premium cabins.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PPM
This entire thread is ridiculous. The issue is that United does not board enough meals so that each passenger has his/her own choice of entre. There is not a respectable international carrier that does not board enough options that each passenger has the choice. My recent flight on Etihad completely changed my perspective on this. United is running the premium classes like they are a third class airline, at best with respect to catering. No guaranteed first choice entre, low quality wines, club soda instead of sparkling water and ridiculous coffee, not to mention not having espresso and cappuccino like other premium cabins.
A simple solution: online ordering of a meal choice for confirmed B/F passengers up to x hours before departure would fix most problems except for last minute upgrades. Of course we've been asking for this for years.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by bocastephen
A simple solution: online ordering of a meal choice for confirmed B/F passengers up to x hours before departure would fix most problems except for last minute upgrades. Of course we've been asking for this for years.
It's not that simple, as then they have to implement a process for conveying the information to the caterers, as opposed to them just having a standard load for each flight. (Not that I disagree they should do this, but it's not trivial.)
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
It's not that simple, as then they have to implement a process for conveying the information to the caterers, as opposed to them just having a standard load for each flight. (Not that I disagree they should do this, but it's not trivial.)
The process already exists to handle special meal orders - just add the entire menu plan to that same interface and let people pre-order from the same webpage/process.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
YVR-IAH morning flight couple weeks ago, I was in 3rd or 4th row. I paid attention as FA announced 3 choices ahead of me, but was down to only 2 by the time she got to me. I enquired as to being asked first since on GS on flight. She said they go front to back, "I can show you the operations manual if you want". Wow. Apparently the printer at YVR cuts off a character for the manifest, so they couldn't tell I was GS. Nice words? No. Snark--> after exiting the lav the FA shoved the ops manual in my face with the pertinent line highlighted. I was pleased to fill out my survey after that flight, but of course got no feedback. Inconsistent behaviour across the system, plus doesn't help if FA gives a bunch of attitude.
So, when the FA shoved the ops manual in your face did you actually read what they were trying to get you to read? If so, what did it say? Sounds like a golden opportunity to read the actual instruction the FA's are supposed to follow.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Baze
So, when the FA shoved the ops manual in your face did you actually read what they were trying to get you to read? If so, what did it say? Sounds like a golden opportunity to read the actual instruction the FA's are supposed to follow.
Two mini-paragraphs were highlighted. One mentioned front-to-back, then other prioritizing GS and 1K. The problem with execution was that I could hear the 3 options offered to rows 1 & 2, but only 2 options when she got to me in row 3. Ideally should have been asking for 1st & 2nd choices ahead and still offered me 3 options, then sorted it out after all pax asked. THAT is what is in the manual.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The process already exists to handle special meal orders - just add the entire menu plan to that same interface and let people pre-order from the same webpage/process.
I'm a vegetarian, and my pre-requested special meals internationally (in C) are boarded maybe 60-70% of the time. When UA actually allowed special meals domestically (don't get me started on this cut for non-ps), it as closer to 25% of the time... so I wouldn't really rely on that system as the benchmark. UA just can't get operations right.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm flying AA DFW-HNL and LAX-DFW next month as was floored when I found out I'm able to choose my meal online 30 days in advance. I had no idea any of the domestic carriers did this. wow.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Flew with the family this week and we had all four seat in row 4 (back row). FA takes A side 1-3, then goes back to the front and takes D side 1-3, then back to my wife and I in 4A&B, then my kids in 4D&E(?). My wife was a little miffed, We got out choices because a few people didn’t have anything. Just a Plat now, but a full F fare, no upgrades or points.

Service was pretty weak the entire flight. No pre-boarding drink. They disappeared after the meal.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Flew with the family this week and we had all four seat in row 4 (back row). FA takes A side 1-3, then goes back to the front and takes D side 1-3, then back to my wife and I in 4A&B, then my kids in 4D&E(?). My wife was a little miffed, We got out choices because a few people didn’t have anything. Just a Plat now, but a full F fare, no upgrades or points.

Service was pretty weak the entire flight. No pre-boarding drink. They disappeared after the meal.
Why was she miffed? By being in row 4, the group would've been last for meal ordering regardless. And she gotten her first choice.

PMUA had priority for paid F, but that's no longer the case. Also, pre-departure beverage is not back yet officially.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:23 pm

Orders are supposed to be taken front to back, asking each person for their first and second choice. They are then sorted quietly in the galley. GS and 1K get their first choice and then everyone else front to back. The fare you paid makes no difference.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Just a Plat now, but a full F fare, no upgrades or points.
None of that would help you with meal priority
FLYMSY, SPN Lifer, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No pre-boarding drink.
I assume you mean pre-departure beverage? AFAIK, no US carrier is offering PDB.

QR is the only carrier I've flown during the pandemic that served PDB.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.