Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Official UNITED policy for meal preferences is to prioritize in the following order: (as of late 2023)
  1. Pre-orders
  2. Global Services members
  3. 1K members
  4. All other revenue passengers from front to back (no difference between $$$ or mileage or upgraders)
  5. Non-Revs

The proper way is to take orders front-to-back, and apply priority in the galley afterwards. Some FAs may still hop around the cabin seeking GS and 1Ks and take their orders first.
With the sharp increase in passengers pre-ordering meals, front-to-back ordering is now predominant.

Previous thread: Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
ok, @trooper, you are right! I should have provided more background...
This was on a flight to Belize, most assuredly a "vacation" trip for most (especially those in F) and starting out with a satisfactory flight was one good way to procure a preferred enjoyment of said vacation. There was not a single 'gentleman' that objected....
It was the only time an FA has presented an agreeable (perhaps 'fair' was a poor descriptor) way of solving said problem of meal selection.

As a point of info, I once flew BA F (777 I think, IAD-LHR) and the cabin crew was pushing so much food on me. I happened to meet someone on that trip that was in the first class program management and he explained that their policy was NEVER to tell a premium class passenger that "we are out of that"... It was an overnight, so had both dinner and breakfast. If they had an item on the menu, they loaded enough servings to ensure that EVERY premium passenger got it if they wanted it. He did admit the waste was tremendous, and this was in 2004, so attitudes have changed. I just couldnt figure out at the time, presented with the 'pressure' to eat a huge breakfast, why they cared. They were just trying to get rid of as much as they could...
Its a great model to make people happy, but I am sure it would irritate just as many in the waste involved....
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by HGPilot
Just wanted to vent. DEN-LAX.
There are ongoing problems with the catering situation at Denver. I don't know the specifics, but what they are able to provision on the airplanes has been significantly affected. The reduced service is not the intended level of catering from Denver. It is what they have until the issues are resolved. I don't know anymore details of the situation.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by huey_driver
...But I will always remember the UA FA that stood at the front and announced "Gentlemen, if its ok with you, I will go through the cabin and take orders from the ladies first..." ...
I don't want to add a wig and makeup to my carryon.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While understanding some are unhappy with the state of catering on UA, there is a separate thread for that COVID Era UA inflight service changes, the OP's issue was not receiving their prefer choice of meal either due to priority or lack sufficient quantity of their choice. Let's stick to those subjects in this thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoechow
Premium transcon lax to ewr, 787. 12:45pm scheduled depart. No pdb offered. Only two choices; ricotta pasta and chicken with polenta. !nothing offered after lunch at all, no snack, no nothing! I was surprised. I thought there’s small thing later. Should I not have been?
Gee, West Coast to Hawaii has 3 choices in F for lunch and dinner.

One possibility (if your status is not GS or 1K) is a 3rd choice may have run out. There might have been snacks in the galley the crew might have been too lazy to offer in the cabin
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
One possibility (if your status is not GS or 1K) is a 3rd choice may have run out. There might have been snacks in the galley the crew might have been too lazy to offer in the cabin
I have done about 50+ transcon flights over the past 12 months, and less than 10% of those flights FA took orders based on status.

I have been on many flights when there was only one choice left.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have done about 50+ transcon flights over the past 12 months, and less than 10% of those flights FA took orders based on status.

I have been on many flights when there was only one choice left.
AFAIK, every meal flight I've been on, GS and 1Ks definitely got their choice. And most times (and contrary to what is thought to be procedure) the FAs sought out the 1Ks and GSs individually prior to taking other passengers' choices. This would be, in last year, about 30-35 flights mostly (but not all) west coast/Hawaii domestic flights. Couple of premium transcons and int'l Polaris legs tossed in. A couple of annoying, but necessary trips to Houston. Beyond 1K or GS, you're right - no orders by status.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
AFAIK, every meal flight I've been on, GS and 1Ks definitely got their choice. And most times (and contrary to what is thought to be procedure) the FAs sought out the 1Ks and GSs individually prior to taking other passengers' choices. This would be, in last year, about 30-35 flights mostly (but not all) west coast/Hawaii domestic flights. Couple of premium transcons and int'l Polaris legs tossed in. A couple of annoying, but necessary trips to Houston. Beyond 1K or GS, you're right - no orders by status.
I was specifically referring to 1K.

By and large, it is in my experience FA takes food orders by row, and I am very much used to not having any choices left by the time FA gets to me.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... By and large, it is in my experience FA takes food orders by row, ...
That has and is the standard policy

... and I am very much used to not having any choices left by the time FA gets to me.
However, prioritization in the gallery is the second part of the policy. Do you beleive lower status passengers are getting your preferred choice? Have you every raised that with the crew?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

However, prioritization in the gallery is the second part of the policy. Do you beleive lower status passengers are getting your preferred choice? Have you every raised that with the crew?
Spot on. Your circumstance will not change if you do not say anything and the FA will not learn and have to deal with fixing his/her mistake. If they fail to fix, you will most likely receive a cert for $50 - $100 if you "complain".
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was specifically referring to 1K.

By and large, it is in my experience FA takes food orders by row, and I am very much used to not having any choices left by the time FA gets to me.

I have had my choice not solicited at all. It happens.

When it's happened to me, I haven't wished to pull rank to get the alternate option. But after accepting whichever, I do have an inclination to remark that, shouldn't there be two options at least for Global or 1K?, which usually prompts an offer of the alternate (decline). Having had both options for both breakfasts and non-breakfasts, I don't ​​​​find it a big deal which is delivered. But I figure that might be a public service for the next person seated in 4F.
LAXOGG likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have mentioned it once or twice, but I'd generally don't like to be that DYKWIA person. I have also given up on UA soft product in its entirety.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: *
AFAIK, every meal flight I've been on, GS and 1Ks definitely got their choice.
Not sure how we could possibly determine this...
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ani90
Not sure how we could possibly determine this...
In the small cabins, it’s pretty easy to listen to the FAs as they go to the 1Ks and Gs: individually. It’s pretty obvious when they do that. On my SFO-HAnL flight Tuesday, I could hear the FA as he went as deep as row 7 or so. Everyone he approached out of order got his/her choice. This obviously is just my experience, but my guess is most 1Ks and GS do get their first choice most of the time. Anyone want to put up a poll? Success at 1st choice as 1K or GS - above 90%? Above 75%? Rarely? (I would call any answers to the last b.s.)
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rarely? (I would call any answers to the last b.s.)
BS?

Fly between EWR and SFO often, and your stance will quickly change to rarely also. With potential 1K/GS spread out over up to 60 seats, FAs don't want to walk back and forth to hit highest elite groups first, so they'd take orders row by row. If you happen to be sitting in the back rows, too bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.