Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Official UNITED policy for meal preferences is to prioritize in the following order: (as of late 2023)
  1. Pre-orders
  2. Global Services members
  3. 1K members
  4. All other revenue passengers from front to back (no difference between $$$ or mileage or upgraders)
  5. Non-Revs

The proper way is to take orders front-to-back, and apply priority in the galley afterwards. Some FAs may still hop around the cabin seeking GS and 1Ks and take their orders first.
With the sharp increase in passengers pre-ordering meals, front-to-back ordering is now predominant.

Previous thread: Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:00 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I spoke to an FA on the return leg and she said it’s sounds like the outbound FA made a couple of errors. She said they are supposed to check that the pre-ordered meals are catered first. If not, check status of the passengers that are about to be inconvenienced, inform and apologize that the pre-order wasnt catered and replacement orders should be taken by status. She thinks the outbound FA assumed my meal was there, took orders front to back, served everyone and when they went to pull my tray, realized it wasn’t there. At that point, it’s too late and they’ve served 90% of the meals and what I had asked for was now gone.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and narvik like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Originally Posted by djmp
I dislike being asked for a 2nd choice as a 1K. Fix your catering or get pre-orders actually working. Food is bad enough without “Here, have the leftover thing”.
Transferred over to UA as a 1K from DL diamond. Flew quite a bit on UA since Jan 1. On each flight I have been told as a 1K I will get my first choice (domestic F and international J). Never been asked for second choice. Also the two times I preordered and the 1 time I did a special meal, they were always boarded and acknowledged without me saying anything. Also in coach they save me the food I want if I am not in front few rows. So no complaints from me. Now the tastiness of the food………
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
On each flight I have been told as a 1K I will get my first choice (domestic F and international J).
You've been "told" that? Every single flight?

As a 12 year consecutive 1K the best I ever get is they may not ask for a second choice. Though they usually do.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
Transferred over to UA as a 1K from DL diamond. Flew quite a bit on UA since Jan 1. On each flight I have been told as a 1K I will get my first choice (domestic F and international J). Never been asked for second choice. Also the two times I preordered and the 1 time I did a special meal, they were always boarded and acknowledged without me saying anything. Also in coach they save me the food I want if I am not in front few rows. So no complaints from me. Now the tastiness of the food………
Originally Posted by Kacee

As a 12 year consecutive 1K the best I ever get is they may not ask for a second choice. Though they usually do.
Probably these 1K converted DL Diamonds have a diamond symbol at to their seat location to indicate their status status.

David
bocastephen, Xyzzy and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Indeed, on far too many of my flights as a 1K it was ME needing to tell the FA that no second choice was necessary as a 1K. In 10+ years the only interaction I ever had on this topic aside from giving my meal order was arguing that I was to receive my entree choice and not whatever was left.

Perhaps the OP is only imagining they are flying United, but in reality still flying on Delta?
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

The most I'd hear from FAs (usually I am in the last few rows), "we only have x meal choice left".

I just got CPU'd on DEN to EWR, and the preorder function isn't working - still days away from flight.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
The most I'd hear from FAs (usually I am in the last few rows), "we only have x meal choice left".

I just got CPU'd on DEN to EWR, and the preorder function isn't working - still days away from flight.
Be ready to do battle for your first choice.

David
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Count me and my wife as two more 1K's who never get asked for a second choice and therefore get what we want. Yes, on every single flight.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Flight last weekend, FA asked me what I wanted, I told him, and he said "as a 1K I don't need to ask for your 2nd choice".

The same conversation with my wife who is sitting behind me and also a 1K. She thanked him for that. The FA said "on a flight last week we had 27 1Ks, so we had to ask for 2nd choices".
Boraxo and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
The FA said "on a flight last week we had 27 1Ks, so we had to ask for 2nd choices".
This is especially true on Polaris flights, where (as reported in a different thread) UA may only load something like 5 salmon in a 50 or 60 pax cabin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
Flight last weekend, FA asked me what I wanted, I told him, and he said "as a 1K I don't need to ask for your 2nd choice".

The same conversation with my wife who is sitting behind me and also a 1K. She thanked him for that. The FA said "on a flight last week we had 27 1Ks, so we had to ask for 2nd choices".
I recall back in the day of Global First, a 747 from PVG-SFO was exclusively GS and 1K in both first and business. The purser told me the GSs would all get first choice, but the 1Ks would not.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
I recall back in the day of Global First, a 747 from PVG-SFO was exclusively GS and 1K in both first and business. The purser told me the GSs would all get first choice, but the 1Ks would not.
One of my all time favorite UA flight attendant interactions (row 3 on a 320):

FA: We have chicken for lunch.
Me: Is there another choice?
FA: You could choose not to eat.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Good afternoon everyone. I snagged a seat upfront on the Tahiti Miles Redemption sale. (Was able to get SFO-PPT roundtrip at only 140,000 miles, a nearly 60% savings!) Question is I understand pre-ordering is still not available on international flights. Which seat should I select to increase my likelihood of getting my meal choice both ways? Mods, feel free to move this to another thread if you feel it better belongs there. Thank you.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Longboater
...Which seat should I select to increase my likelihood of getting my meal choice both ways? ...
As an 1K, you will have priority over non-GS/!ks. If you want to improve you priority among 1Ks, sitting toward the front might help. In larger widebodies, the FAs may divide the cabin to take meal requests.
Old May 5, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As an 1K, you will have priority over non-GS/!ks. If you want to improve you priority among 1Ks, sitting toward the front might help. In larger widebodies, the FAs may divide the cabin to take meal requests.
Thanks. I will ask in the 787-9 seat thread on the best seats in the Polaris cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.