Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmd320
What would be the point of paying for F when you can get better service on an upgrade?
That's a fundamental misapprehension of how the process works. You don't get "better" service through an upgrade. Whether elite or non-elite, you get the same service regardless how you get into the front cabin.

And anyone who buys domestic F on UA for the meal should have their head examined
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nnn
I agree with you. If you pay for F, you should be prioritized higher than an upgrader, no matter who the upgrader is. By the rationale of others saying the opposite, then the upgrader should get the F seat over the person paying for F, too, since the upgrader is "more valuable."
This.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Shouldn't matter. Those who paid to receive the F product should have first access to the services the F product offers. Those who chose to purchase economy and upgrade should be next in line. Price for ticket should be irrelevant.
I agree with this sentiment and am amused by those "trashing" the idea. Many seem to be saying "that's not the way it works" so your idea is bad. So unless it's done United's way it's not a good idea?! Many saying that also seem to be GS/1K...

It appears that you fly a lot of different airlines so you're not stuck in the United "bubble" like many of us and can see this from an industry view. I appreciate that perspective.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Pay for F, pay for F, pay for F!

So let's just have the manifest show everyone's ticket price since you are hung up on how valuable someone is based on what they bought. Prioritize that way.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
That's exactly the problem. UA is assuming elites on upgrades are more valuable that those paying to sit up there in the first place. What would be the point of paying for F when you can get better service on an upgrade?
No, that's exactly the reason! GS and 1k elites ARE more valuable than those without status, no matter the fare paid. As soon as you spend $12k and fly 100k miles, or much more, you can have your first choice, too.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nycityny
It appears that you fly a lot of different airlines so you're not stuck in the United "bubble" like many of us . . . .
The corollary is that the one-time F buyer is probably buying exclusively on price and/or convenience. Whereas GS/1K are buying tickets on UA (lots of them!) even when it's not the cheapest or most convenient choice. That loyalty has tangible monetary value. Which is why UA chooses to reward it.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
1K on IAD-LAX on B739, I was seated in 1B.

Gate agent announced there were no GS passengers but still invited any to board if there were indeed any in the gate area.

FA took my order, then someone else's a few rows back, and then went front to back. ^
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
No, that's exactly the reason! GS and 1k elites ARE more valuable than those without status, no matter the fare paid. As soon as you spend $12k and fly 100k miles, or much more, you can have your first choice, too.
So, what if I spend $15,000 and fly SYD-LAX-IAH as a non-status. Are you saying that a 1k who barely hit the 12k minimum for the prior year should be prioritized ahead of me on the domestic segment simply because they flew on UA for 85,000 more miles in the last year while spending less than I did in one day?

I understand the level of defensiveness by many of the elites here, you want your loyalty to mean something to a company (when in reality I can guarantee you that it doesn't, US airlines have made that very clear for some time now) but the reality is this is a system used by zero other airlines in the world, and for good reason.

Now, AA does few things right nowadays, however the ability to pre-order meals (albeit, now very buggy) is something that should be rolled out throughout the industry IMO. This alleviates any need to really prioritize order taking at all and leaves everyone the option to select their first choice.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:55 pm

I understand the level of defensiveness by many of the elites here
Not really. People are explaining what the rules are on UA and why they make sense in response to a personal opinion about the way things "should be" which has been presented as fact. You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is.

So, what if I spend $15,000 and fly SYD-LAX-IAH as a non-status.
Did you really do that? $15K to fly UA? Seriously? Why would you not fly QF?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not really. People are explaining what the rules are on UA and why they make sense in response to a personal opinion about the way things "should be" which has been presented as fact. You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is.

Did you really do that? $15K to fly UA? Seriously? Why would you not fly QF?
Of course not. I'd need to have my head examined if I chose to fly UA (or DL, or AA for that matter) on such a route. However to potential for that scenario to arise does exist, and is not specific to that route.

It may be my opinion, but it says a lot that this is a procedure specific to UA.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:16 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Didn't PMUA group 1K/GS and F fares at the top of the list? That would make sense to me: rewards 1K/GS for their loyalty, but not above and at the expense of someone who actually purchased First Class.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nnn
Didn't PMUA group 1K/GS and F fares at the top of the list? That would make sense to me: rewards 1K/GS for their loyalty, but not above and at the expense of someone who actually purchased First Class.
That is absolutely acceptable. In terms of those who are flying on upgrades, top tier elites should certainly get their choice over lower tier elites, however those who have actually paid to sit in the F seat on that flight should have priority over anyone on an upgrade of any kind.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
So, what if I spend $15,000 and fly SYD-LAX-IAH as a non-status. Are you saying that a 1k who barely hit the 12k minimum for the prior year should be prioritized ahead of me on the domestic segment simply because they flew on UA for 85,000 more miles in the last year while spending less than I did in one day?

Chances are the 1K is going to make an ongoing effort to keep flying UA and spending $ there vs. a one time expensive fare purchaser.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Yes.

Ostensibly, you didn't spend that in the year before. If you had spent that $15k last year, you'd also be an elite and be getting your choice. The 1k in your highly unlikely scenario has been a longer-term loyal flier.

I understand the level of defensiveness by many of the non-elites here, but it is the policy. And really, it's an airline meal, so let's not take it so seriously.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Yes.

Ostensibly, you didn't spend that in the year before. If you had spent that $15k last year, you'd also be an elite and be getting your choice. The 1k in your highly unlikely scenario has been a longer-term loyal flier.

I understand the level of defensiveness by many of the non-elites here, but it is the policy. And really, it's an airline meal, so let's not take it so seriously.
IMO it goes beyond the meal though. This is UA saying, we prioritize elites on free upgrades vs those paying to sit in the cabin. What incentive do I have to give UA my business over AA, DL, VX, AS, etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.