Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Weird idiosyncrasy of mine. I like having a wall behind me vs. someone else looking over my shoulder. I like being able to see the whole cabin during the flight & if anyone is up getting ready to use the bathroom before I get up. Etc. etc. blah blah weird stuff of my own. But it does leave me in a position where I have extensive experience and a great perspective on how the meal prioritization system plays out in the cabin before it gets to me.
Thanks for indulging my curiosity!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
On UA1555 right now, FA did GS and 1K back to front, and then the rest of us front to back.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
In recent CTU-SFO flight, purser asked us for meal selection (not the usual first and second meal choices; not the usual front to rear order taking). He also said he wanted to make sure that we 1K members get our meal selection.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
IMO every airline should offer pre-ordering. No more of this ridiculous elite status determining meal choice. Paid F should take priority over elite status on upgrades in every scenario.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 1, 2015 at 11:25 am Reason: Move to move appropriate thread
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmd320
Paid F should take priority over elite status on upgrades in every scenario.
What if the elite upgraded bought a full economy fare and the paid F on a cheap sale?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
What if the elite upgraded bought a full economy fare and the paid F on a cheap sale?
Yeah I am so tired of reading these uninformed "paid F should get priority" posts.

On most domestic routes, UA will sell a "paid F" fare for about the equivalent of a Q fare, and as little as half of what an M fare costs.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Shouldn't matter. Those who paid to receive the F product should have first access to the services the F product offers. Those who chose to purchase economy and upgrade should be next in line. Price for ticket should be irrelevant.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Shouldn't matter. Those who paid to receive the F product should have first access to the services the F product offers. Those who chose to purchase economy and upgrade should be next in line. Price for ticket should be irrelevant.
When you start your own airline, you will be free to implement your own rules
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:59 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Kacee
Love it! ^
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Those who are purchasing a F ticket ARE getting a F meal. UA does not promise F-paying passengers a guaranteed choice of meal. Actually, it doesn't promise anyone a guaranteed choice. United's current catering scheme is designed to make sure that its perceived most valuable customers (GS and 1Ks) do have a chance at a meal choice. A lot of the time, that F-paying passenger is a 1K or GS, so there is no problem. Once someone is seated in a F cabin, they are a F passenger. The next step is to decide who among the F passengers is more valuable/dedicated. Looking at a F manifest, the best guess (in general) are the names with GS or 1K next to it.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 1, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA is the only airline which ridiculously prioritizes meals to elites on upgrades.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA is the only airline which ridiculously prioritizes meals to elites on upgrades.
Because of the way UA currently caters the galley, it's hardly ridiculous to prioritize (generally) the most valuable customers. Your annoyance about prioritization really should be directed at the catering. As long as UA caters as it currently does, prioritization is not "ridiculous", unless you're not one of UA's perceived more valuable customers.

Your original post had the solution - pre-ordering. Until then, prioritization for more valuable cutomers of the only-one-meal-for-every-seat catering scheme makes sense.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 1, 2015 at 12:50 pm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Because of the way UA currently caters the galley, it's hardly ridiculous to prioritize (generally) the most valuable customers. Your annoyance about prioritization really should be directed at the catering. As long as UA caters as it currently does, prioritization is not "ridiculous", unless you're not one of UA's perceived more valuable customers.
That's exactly the problem. UA is assuming elites on upgrades are more valuable that those paying to sit up there in the first place. What would be the point of paying for F when you can get better service on an upgrade?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...What would be the point of paying for F when you can get better service on an upgrade?
You don't get "better service" on an upgrade unless you have 1K or GS status - and it only extends as far as meal selection. Every F passenger is still getting a F meal. Someone paying F is not being deprived of an un-promised meal choice. You can also go down the rabbit hole about arguing who is more valuable - the easiest way is to look at status, especially 1K and GS. It's not going to be right all the time, but it is going to be right most of the time.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:58 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
That's exactly the problem. UA is assuming elites on upgrades are more valuable that those paying to sit up there in the first place. What would be the point of paying for F when you can get better service on an upgrade?
I agree with you. If you pay for F, you should be prioritized higher than an upgrader, no matter who the upgrader is. By the rationale of others saying the opposite, then the upgrader should get the F seat over the person paying for F, too, since the upgrader is "more valuable."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.