Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by OCedHrt
..Where I am the Polaris lounge has one soup, cereal, fruits, and toast. That's it.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sounds like a United Club.
OCedHrt which Polaris Lounge are you in? I am guessing it is the buffet if you are truly in a Polaris lounge and I agree the choices are not very appealing. Although as Kacee suggests it may also really be a UC.

The sitdown Polaris restaurant at SFO has great breakfast choices these days. The salmon fraiche toast and the blue crab Benedict (I have it without the hollandaise) are both excellent.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
OCedHrt which Polaris Lounge are you in? I am guessing it is the buffet if you are truly in a Polaris lounge and I agree the choices are not very appealing. Although as Kacee suggests it may also really be a UC.

The sitdown Polaris restaurant at SFO has great breakfast choices these days. The salmon fraiche toast and the blue crab Benedict (I have it without the hollandaise) are both excellent.
I read OCedHrt's comment as a facetious dig at the idea of [always] eating in the Polaris lounge before flight, and then not order the main course in-flight.
That concept is flawed, because:
- not every airport has a Polaris lounge
- even if one does connect through an airport with a Polaris lounge, the connection would necessitate sufficient time for a visit
- it only works in one direction, as there's no Polaris lounges outside of USA (yet)

And by the way, for all you whiners complaining about Polaris in-flight meals, you should know that:

"

Restaurant-quality dining

We're proud to offer United Polaris customers a chef-designed, multi-course inflight dining experience. In collaboration with chefs from The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization committed to mentoring and internship programs for youth interested in the culinary arts, United executive chefs created a menu that features fresh, seasonal ingredients and bold flavors from around the world. The dishes will rotate every month, so you'll continue to have new dishes to experience on board."
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/polaris.html

Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by narvik
I read OCedHrt's comment as a facetious dig at the idea of [always] eating in the Polaris lounge before flight, and then not order the main course in-flight.
That concept is flawed, because:
- not every airport has a Polaris lounge
- even if one does connect through an airport with a Polaris lounge, the connection would necessitate sufficient time for a visit
- it only works in one direction, as there's no Polaris lounges outside of USA (yet)

And by the way, for all you whiners complaining about Polaris in-flight meals, you should know that:

"

Restaurant-quality dining

We're proud to offer United Polaris customers a chef-designed, multi-course inflight dining experience. In collaboration with chefs from The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization committed to mentoring and internship programs for youth interested in the culinary arts, United executive chefs created a menu that features fresh, seasonal ingredients and bold flavors from around the world. The dishes will rotate every month, so you'll continue to have new dishes to experience on board."
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/polaris.html

Oh I missed the sarcasm, but makes perfect sense.

🙄🙄 on the restaurant quality meals in Polaris. Very funny. I certainly understand that tastebuds are adversely impacted by altitude and looking forward to experiencing the restaurant quality meals from around the world. I am assuming they mean from six continents and not just North America.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
... looking forward to experiencing the restaurant quality meals from around the world. I am assuming they mean from six continents and not just North America.
No kidding!

It was the "bold flavors" & "The dishes will rotate every month" that made me laugh most.

I am about to give up on worrying about their meal prioritizing and just say (as some already do): "Give me whatever makes it easy for you." as all the choices are all pretty much equally bad.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
No kidding!

It was the "bold flavors" & "The dishes will rotate every month" that made me laugh most.

I am about to give up on worrying about their meal prioritizing and just say (as some already do): "Give me whatever makes it easy for you." as all the choices are all pretty much equally bad.
I’m ready to start bringing my own sandwiches.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by OCedHrt
Even if that was the case, telling a passenger they can ask others for verification of status is very unprofessional.

They could have said something like, "There were only 5 Japanese meals" to emphasize the scarcity of it.

Where I am the Polaris lounge has one soup, cereal, fruits, and toast. That's it.
Absolutely not defending FA. This seems to have been a collision of two "difficult" individuals.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2024 at 11:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.