Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
This entire thread is incredibly ironic...at least for FlyerTalk. How many people posting in this thread are also complaining in another thread about the poor meal quality in United premium cabins?
Old May 12, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TheMan
I find that many times they don't even go by medallion level when doling out food - too much work. I have complained about it but once you get the food its too late. Its great when people don't follow the rules and they impact you and then call you a cry baby when you complain. Love it.
You emailed 1K voice and you got called a "cry baby" in response? Please post this screenshot!
Old May 12, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
This entire thread is incredibly ironic...at least for FlyerTalk. How many people posting in this thread are also complaining in another thread about the poor meal quality in United premium cabins?
After spending more than $12K a year and racking up more than 100k miles, I want my choice of mini-muffin.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
After spending more than $12K a year and racking up more than 100k miles, I want my choice of mini-muffin.
Also, if the meal quality is bad, it's more important to avoid the really bad choice. If everything is good, second choices are more acceptable.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And in another cruel twist of fate, I'm on UA 624 SFO-ORD (753 w/ 24F), in 6B, on an A fare. I was the 21st person in line to choose my meal. For a Saturday flight with just six cleared upgrades, there must be a litany of 1K's and GS in rows 1-5 getting their first choice

I asked the FA about 1K's and GS getting a meal choice and she just kinda laughed uncomfortably and apologized that they only had one option left. YMMV.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
And in another cruel twist of fate, I'm on UA 624 SFO-ORD (753 w/ 24F), in 6B, on an A fare. I was the 21st person in line to choose my meal. For a Saturday flight with just six cleared upgrades, there must be a litany of 1K's and GS in rows 1-5 getting their first choice

I asked the FA about 1K's and GS getting a meal choice and she just kinda laughed uncomfortably and apologized that they only had one option left. YMMV.
Entirely possible. I've been on a number of 753 hub-to-hub and transcon flights where all 24 pax were GS or 1K. In those cases, some won't get their first choice.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TheMan
I find that many times they don't even go by medallion level when doling out food
I think you meant to post this is in the Delta forum. Not sure whether/how DL prioritizes, but as noted above, on UA the only status levels that get priority in meal selection are GS and 1K.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Entirely possible. I've been on a number of 753 hub-to-hub and transcon flights where all 24 pax were GS or 1K. In those cases, some won't get their first choice.
I agree, it wouldn't be unheard of. But this is a weekend....usually the SFO-ORD upgrade list is in the 80's or 90's for the 10:40 AM flight. `Only` 40 today. Also, judging the appearance of the pax is not a fool proof way of determining their status level, however this crowd appears to be closer to the kettle side than the GS side. (Yes, we probably need a separate thread on how to identify a GS from a kettle.)

I digress. If being forced to live with the cheeseburger on UA624 is the worst of my problems this weekend, I'll chalk it up as a success.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:04 pm

Reviving a semi-old thread. I'm new to United and was very confused by the priority I experienced today.

I was in 2B on a 737-800 today. Paid first ticket. FA took meal orders starting with 1AB, then 1EF, she then proceeded down the entire EF side, then reversed back on the AB side (starting with 4AB). I was the last person to place a meal order in the cabin. Of course my first choice, and that of my seatmate (also paid first), were not available. I know there were upgrades on this flight and I was annoyed that the upgrades got their choice before a paid passenger.

So my questions are... 1) What kind of crazy order were these meals orders taken? 2) Does United place the meal choices of upgraded passengers over paid tickets?

I understand those who are upgraded usually have spent a fair amount of money with United. But still, it seems to be a bad idea to prioritize the meal selections of someone on an upgrade ahead of those who paid for the cabin.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSP-MN

So my questions are... 1) What kind of crazy order were these meals orders taken? 2) Does United place the meal choices of upgraded passengers over paid tickets?
United is very inconsistent as to how they do this. They are supposed to give top priority to Global Service (GS) and 1K customers regardless of how they arrived in 1st class - upgrade or paid. In fact, paying for first class provides no priority in meal selection. After the GS/1K prioritization the sequence in which orders are taken determines who gets what they want. Why your attendant went in that order was random but since you were last and presumably are not GS or 1K you ended up not getting your first choice. Not great but that's the system.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So my questions are... 1) What kind of crazy order were these meals orders taken? ...
The order use to take the request should not matter -- the process is to sort the priority issues after taking orders. Suspect in you case even if your order had been taken first, you would have been asked for a second choice and that;s what you would have gotten.
2) Does United place the meal choices of upgraded passengers over paid tickets?
UA makes no distinct on how you got into the cabin, it is purely status (GS/1K) and then everyone else.
For what it is worth, there are far fewer upgraders nowadays.

I understand those who are upgraded usually have spent a fair amount of money with United. But still, it seems to be a bad idea to prioritize the meal selections of someone on an upgrade ahead of those who paid for the cabin.
It is what it is -- that discussion has been beaten to death in this and previous threads.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On most UA flights, you were in one of the best seats to maximize chances of getting your choice. Most FAs go front to back and prioritize GS and 1K meal choices in galley. Your FA did a fairly rare way of taking orders, for reasons only known to her. Outside of 1Ks and GSs, there’s no priority outside of sequence in which FA takes orders. First rows are usually best for choices - you just got bad luck in order.

I guess there’s a chance your flight was full of GS and 1K flyers and FA approached those customers in sequence and then you. That’s not supposed to be the procedure either. What route was it?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Although I understand the "official" procedure, I quite often still get a hybrid version: FA goes to all GS and 1K and asks for their meal choice without asking for a second choice. Then proceeds front-to-back and gets first and second choice from remaining passenger.
(and oftentimes comes back later to re-ask a few passengers, because he/she can't decipher what he/she wrote down earlier! )
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Every time I read this thread I ask myself how difficult would it be for United to post the meal options whilst you are checking in? They know which flights they are going to cater.

You then do not upset pax who paid for F and the GS/1K members get their first choice of meal also.

The only folks that would not get their meal choice would be the upgrades at the gate and if they do not like the available meal choice they could request a meal from the back of the plane.

I am still surprised United is unable to get this right. OALs I get my meal choice without the need to provide a second choice (cf for international/intra Europe/domestic in Australia).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why No Pre-Select?

Flying D1 redeye SFO-BOS on Friday, and was just offered the option of pre-selecting from three pretty good looking options (beef tenderloin, chicken piccata, black truffle ravioli).

UA, why can't you allow us to pre-select? And why can't you serve a real meal on flights departing after 9 pm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.