Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA GS/BA Silver/HH Gold
Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [2015]

Sorry guys, but I have to disagree. Preordering might solve this one issue, if they implemented it correctly, but it highlights the inconsistent service aboard UA. The inconsistency needs to be fixed in my opinion.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Currently in flight from EWR to ORD sitting in row 2. Heard FA make offers offer of meal selections to row 1 and when she got to row 2 the option I wanted was not offered - I inquired about it and was told it was already gone - so much for a process lol. This is the third domestic flight I haven't gotten my choice in the last month - and there are 20 F seats in this flight (I usually sit in the last row of F so in previous fails I've chocked it up to sitting too get back) - but come on - have a process and stick to it or don't - the in between is exactly what is killing UA today!
Whenever this happens, I call GSCS and tell them about it.

They are very interested about this. They will ask for a name or description of the FA and will follow-up. And as a gesture of goodwill, they will offer you a travel certificate for this service lapse.

Hopefully this will help educate the FAs to start following policy.

I encourage you to do this.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:46 am

ORD - SJU earlier this week. FA got to me and no choices left. Wrote in to 1K and received a response basically stating UA does not and has not prioritized meals for passengers in F

No wonder why the FAs can't get it right if the ones who can easily look up the procedure and see it can't get it right either.

The good news, UA is consistent on one thing: being inconsistent
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by dank0014
ORD - SJU earlier this week. FA got to me and no choices left. Wrote in to 1K and received a response basically stating UA does not and has not prioritized meals for passengers in F

No wonder why the FAs can't get it right if the ones who can easily look up the procedure and see it can't get it right either.

The good news, UA is consistent on one thing: being inconsistent
Ugh, as posted above, on one flight a FA pulled out her manual, highlighted the procedure, and showed it to me!!!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:22 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I had 3 flights on Saturday, mix of crews AFAIK (2 were on the same 739 airframe, but one with what used to be a sUA flight # and the other a sCO flight #). 3 different meal order taking techniques...

Jumped around the cabin on the international-config 752 (domestic flight), taking 1k and GS orders first. On one 739, they took orders front to back down the left, then back to front on the right. On the other, they took the front half of the cabin while taxiing, then jumped around to the GS and 1k pax in the rest.

Got my choice all three times and was glad to see full meals on all three, even the 2 hour hop to IAH from DEN. That one must be just over the cutoff, as it's not much longer than IAD-TPA which still serves just a single tiny scone at breakfast time.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
"status doesn't mean anything"

Is this new, or at the purser's discretion?

I'm on an ExCon transatlantic 764 in businessfirst (row 1) from IAD and the purser said he was already out of my first selection for my meal. I politely asked if it was by status, and he said status doesn't mean anything (his words), and that he goes front to back A-side first and that's that - that's how he's always done it. Apparently I'm on the wrong side of the plane.

I really don't care in this particular case, but as a 1K on a flight full of non-revs in businessfirst, I'm a little disappointed.

Is this new, or purser's discretion, or is it a Continental-vs-United way of doing things?

Last edited by SkyTeem; Dec 27, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Status does not mean anything, servings meal, depends on where you set, as to who is ask first, get first choice...

One way they start in front, the other way they start in the back..
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
I think the official policy is by status (GS, 1K, et al), although in general I see them prioritize in the galley. I travel a lot internationally, and as a 1K, I'm rarely even asked for a second choice. There are a number of UA FAs who post here who may be able to clarify.

I would write this one up to 1KVoice, with the date & flight number. To some extent, I believe that this is the front-line employee attitude that the new management team is trying to root out and improve (e.g., free 1K drink in coach).
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What sort of survey did you do to determine everyone else was a non-rev?

Edit: There's an entire thread on meal taking methods that is discussed ad nauseam.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
"status doesn't mean anything"

You can tell who is a non-rev because they are both on the stand-by list and on the upgrade list.

And not everyone else - but quite a few!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Back in September, I wrote 1K voice about this subject and this is part of the response:

Dear Mr. Wilp888:

I certainly regret the inconvenience on your most recent flight in regards to the meal service provided.

To ensure that we properly recognize our Premier customers in our premium cabins, we did expand the meal order preference to include 1K customers and regret if that is not what transpired.

Previously, this amenity was offered only to our Global Services customers.

It does seem to be official UA policy that meal choice goes by status for GS and 1K.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:54 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I thought they had specifically created a status+fare-based order where, for example, full Y passengers got "***" and guaranteed first choice, etc. Is that long gone?

Back to front, front to back, is moronic. How is anyone supposed to know to expect that? Why even change with the direction at that point? Do the meals somehow know which way they're facing?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
In any case, the purser could have been little more friendly or diplomatic about it.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by satman40
Status does not mean anything, servings meal, depends on where you set, as to who is ask first, get first choice...
Wrong.

Originally Posted by TA
I thought they had specifically created a status+fare-based order where, for example, full Y passengers got "***" and guaranteed first choice, etc. Is that long gone?
Nope, not that either. The order is:

GS => 1K => everyone else

They are supposed to ask for first and second choices then sort orders in the galley. This has been confirmed by UA multiple times.

Some FAs - usually sCO, and usually EWR based - just choose to ignore it.

OP, I would complain to 1K voice - not because I didn't get my meal choice, but because the FA is deliberately not following policy.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The order is:

GS => 1K => everyone else

They are supposed to ask for first and second choices then sort orders in the galley. This has been confirmed by UA multiple times.
Interesting—I had not heard/seen the policy so clearly stated yet.

[edit: actually I guess I had, now that I see the wiki again.]

Is there any procedure for choosing who to disappoint when they come up one short but there are several non-GS/1K aboard? I've seen a few times now that the flight attendents seem to specifically prepare one or two passengers for second choice (e.g., 'if we don't have the quiche today, would french toast be OK?' said only to one person). Is that just down to random, assuming proper training and conduct?

Last edited by fumje; Dec 27, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.