Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:27 am

I always got my meal choice. What's interesting is that in about 50% of the cases I am not even asked for a second choice . Some FA play the game very wel...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by uanj
I experienced a hybrid approach on Saturday out of PDX. I was in an aisle seat and the FA discreetly came and thanked me for my business and sticking with UA. It was nicely done. She then apologized that she did not like hopping around the cabin but gave me my choice of meals and then skipped over me when she did the overall cabin. So basically the standard approach a with a one-hop stop.
This happened to me recently ORD-TPA. Except I was in 4F. FA leaned over the guy sitting in the aisle and said to me, she wanted to make sure I got my first choice. She explained the choices, answered my question about cilantro, took my order and went to row one to take everyone else's order in row order.

On another flight on E170 a family of 4 wanted to sit together on the C/D side and asked the guy in 1D and me in 2C if we'd mind taking 1A and 2A. Good trade After the shuffle and once the rest of the plane had boarded, I discreetly went to galley and mentioned the seat swap and that I was 1K now in 2A if that mattered for meal choice. Apparently it did as she again took my order first, then Mr Now 1A, and then the family.

Sometimes, they do try
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I was flying from LAX to DEN this morning and originally had 4B and then switched to the window to let a couple sit together.

The FA came to me first and asked what my meal choice was, and said since I was in the back she wanted to be sure I got my first choice. She was super nice to me.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
BOS-ORD today on a 739. 20 pax in the F cabin. Choices were scrambled eggs or oatmeal. Two pax did not want a meal. Everyone else chose scrambled eggs. Do they load 20 portions of scrambled eggs onto this flight?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by diburning
BOS-ORD today on a 739. 20 pax in the F cabin. Choices were scrambled eggs or oatmeal. Two pax did not want a meal. Everyone else chose scrambled eggs. Do they load 20 portions of scrambled eggs onto this flight?
no
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Everyone received scrambled eggs. So, would the other 2 pax have been stuck with oatmeal?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by diburning
I've been told that the FAs can include information in their paperwork to suggest a change in the number of each item loaded. UA then tries to determine based on these remarks if they need to alter the number of each item loaded. Some markets prefer the cereal/oatmeal while (I'd say a majority) prefer the egg. From what the FAs I've talked to say, it can vary widely through the year, thus they report on it to try and keep it in line with what passengers want. Not perfect since there's a lag, and no guarantee that the flight they change it on will prefer the change.

I know with pmCO, that a number of lead FAs who flew certain routes with regularity would be allowed to call in and alter the number of each item loaded for those routes. Since they flew the route with regularity they where assumed to be in a position to know how best to balance the meal choice load.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Just as a data point
For me the consistency has been 100% for the last year
I have had 8 Flights in J ex/to SYD in the last 6 months
Every single time, Purser comes through the cabin in a normal ordered fashion (front to back without skipping) introduces themselves and asks for first and second, anyone who is a 1k/GS gets a nice "I've noticed your status today thank you for flying with us again" and moves on, Always get my first choice
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:40 am

Earlier this week, wasn't followed on one flight (went front to back and didn't prioritize at all) and at de boarding mentioned to him (FA) to which response was it is no longer policy.

Sent a note in inquiring about this policy change and received a response within 2 hours with a $150 travel cert and confirmation procedures have not changed.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dank0014
Earlier this week, wasn't followed on one flight (went front to back and didn't prioritize at all) and at de boarding mentioned to him (FA) to which response was it is no longer policy.

Sent a note in inquiring about this policy change and received a response within 2 hours with a $150 travel cert and confirmation procedures have not changed.
Did you dare to get the name of the FA and report him to United management? I think not.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by dank0014

Was this an sUA or sCO crew? And is that of any significance anymore?

I was on a 787 LAX-HOU two weeks ago (so I assume an sCO crew) and I think the FA's just went down the aisles asking for meal choices (chicken pot pie or some sort of chicken salad). I was in the very last row so if there was any sorting, it was done in the galley. There were 5 of us traveling together and we all got our first choice even though I was the only one with status.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Mama
Did you dare to get the name of the FA and report him to United management? I think not.
Why assume, if you must know I did provide the name when I sent in my note and asked them to clarify if the procedures have changed and if not requested they properly train the employee. They offered the travel cert on their own
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Was this an sUA or sCO crew? And is that of any significance anymore?
I don't know how one can argue that it's not significant. Last week had a flight where I, a GS, on a sCO LatAm IAH- flight, and as the ONLY one in the cabin who had a paid fare and wasn't an upgrade out of the 16 seats (as evidenced from the app), didn't get my meal choice. In fact myself and the gentleman next to me were the ONLY ones who didn't get a choice.

I have a personal seating preference for the last row of the premium cabin, so I get to see this issue play out first hand on almost every flight. sCO crews are about 25% at getting the procedure right and giving me a choice. sUA crews are probably around 90%. My favorite was the sCO FA who blocked me from even PURCHASING a coach meal after I walked back there to buy one after I had been denied my meal choice up front. The FA in the back was happy to get it for me but then he intervened and told me that "those are for coach passengers", even after I reiterated "so you won't even let me BUY a sandwich?" and he said "yes, that's correct." I just said "wow" and then didn't ask for so much as a glass of water from him for the entire flight.

I don't write letters and complain, that's just not my nature. But I sure as heck get frustrated about it. It makes me mark "angry" on the survey for my post-flight emotional reaction far too often. And much as I'd like to not focus on it, the sCO-sUA factor is huge on this particular issue.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I have a personal seating preference for the last row of the premium cabin[.]
Just out of curiosity, why?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
Just out of curiosity, why?
Weird idiosyncrasy of mine. I like having a wall behind me vs. someone else looking over my shoulder. I like being able to see the whole cabin during the flight & if anyone is up getting ready to use the bathroom before I get up. Etc. etc. blah blah weird stuff of my own. But it does leave me in a position where I have extensive experience and a great perspective on how the meal prioritization system plays out in the cabin before it gets to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.