Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

free coach snack in 1st class if you don't like the food [unconfirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

From a reporter's twitter handle...

https://twitter.com/briansumers/stat...75927311609856
As of Nov. 1, if you don't like the first class food, you can get a free coach snack.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 28, 2015 at 3:17 pm Reason: title editted
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Following on the news of this, they will also be doing away with the meal/no meal choice (either you take what they have or don't eat at all) in Business on 3-class domestic aircraft and offering the two choices that are offered in First Class similar to two-class aircraft. Probably this goes hand in hand with the other announcement otherwise they would have a good number of people in Business asking for items from Y.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Following on the news of this, they will also be doing away with the meal/no meal choice (either you take what they have or don't eat at all) in Business on 3-class domestic aircraft and offering the two choices that are offered in First Class similar to two-class aircraft. Probably this goes hand in hand with the other announcement otherwise they would have a good number of people in Business asking for items from Y.
Source?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
From a reporter's twitter handle...

https://twitter.com/briansumers/stat...75927311609856
While this is nice, why not just get meals people want?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
It's about time this became official policy! FA's have been doing this with a wink and a nod for years.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I had to read this a couple times. Are you saying that the domestic business class meal choices will be the same as F on 3-class planes? Which I think are mostly p.s. at this point. It seems odd to not have a little differentiation in the meals but otherwise I guess it's a slight upgrade for C and no change for F.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
I had to read this a couple times. Are you saying that the domestic business class meal choices will be the same as F on 3-class planes? Which I think are mostly p.s. at this point. It seems odd to not have a little differentiation in the meals but otherwise I guess it's a slight upgrade for C and no change for F.
Since about 2008/9 when you fly domestic on a 3 cabin plane the Business Class section gets only one meal selection - no choice in what you eat.

While first class gets the usual meal choices that would be provided in regular 2 cabin first class.

At one point it was so bad they only offered Business Class cold coach buy on board boxes.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
So the real question is whether this is just for when full meals are offered, or if this will also apply to 'snack' flights. I assume the former.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Will priority still exist on two-cabin domestic?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This is GREAT news! pmUA used to offer a coach BOB meal comped without question if you didn't like the meal choices up front. When SMI/J came in, that all changed. Glad to see things return to pmUA standards.

Also, if true, I would be interested to see if 3-Class Domestic F (I assume we aren't talking ps here) gets an additional choice vs the 2 now offered in C. What would the differentiation be between C/F other than hard product? Either way, I applaud this change!

^^^
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:49 pm

Would be curious if it is actually now "policy," but will state that I have personally never had a problem getting a BOB in F when I can't eat the food - I usually just tell them I'm allergic (I am) to a certain item, but can do the following BOB. They have always got one for me.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dank0014
Would be curious if it is actually now "policy," but will state that I have personally never had a problem getting a BOB in F when I can't eat the food - I usually just tell them I'm allergic (I am) to a certain item, but can do the following BOB. They have always got one for me.
IME, it depends on the crew. And I really hate when people bring up the PMCO vs. PMUA thing, but this is the one area where I've seen it divided like that IME - PMUA crews always seemed fine with comping a coach snack, but PMCO always wanted to charge - and since my wife is a vegetarian and there often was no veggie choice, especially on the snack plate flights in the mid-evening, she almost always had to ask.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Since about 2008/9 when you fly domestic on a 3 cabin plane the Business Class section gets only one meal selection - no choice in what you eat.

While first class gets the usual meal choices that would be provided in regular 2 cabin first class.

At one point it was so bad they only offered Business Class cold coach buy on board boxes.
Yep, I understand the current model. I'm trying to understand the rumored change. Is it just to make business class meals equal to F meals on 3-class domestic? If so, it takes away some of the differentiation between C and F. Still, a good change if true, but what I was really getting at is will they upgrade F meals so they are still different than C?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Just be careful what you wish for. With airlines on the race to the bottom, soon, you might find yourself in only being provided economy food.

My suggestion: Keep demanding better first class food than to choosing an economy food.

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Oct 28, 2015 at 8:08 pm
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
hmm this would of been good on my Red eye SAN-EWR red eye. The Snack box in economy was better that the bag of chips I got offered in first. but other than that I have I dont think I have had a meal in first that was worse that a snack box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.