Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by jkburns1
I don't understand the big hoo ra over this..

I do giggle at fact 9 months later we still have all the PMUA vs PMCO comments and BS - reminds me of 3rd graders saying "my daddy's bigger/better then yours."

Agreed that if there is a priority and you paid for the F seat rather then upgraded you should get the meal priority. Does appear for many of you this is nothing more then DYKWIA ego stroking over a bad meal.

Seems so much easier to pick your seat and if it's a big deal sit in front.

What really blows my mind is the UA meals suck or are mediocre at best for the most part so why does everyone care so much?
+1
UA has added this back to satisfy the legions of whining PMUA 1K flyers. The FEBO method at AA works perfectly fine. Logically, the only meal prioritization method (if one is needed at all) that would make sense would be for folks who paid for F to get their first choice. Why an upgraded 1K thinks they should get meal priority over a paid F passenger is beyond me. Just more of the over-entitled attitude of the PMUA elites.

I did a segment today from PDX to IAH with a PMUA Aircraft and crew. I guess they didn't get the memo as there was no prioritized meal order taking. Also, once again there was no hot towel service. What is it with the PMUA crews that refuse to do the hot towels? Fourth flight in 3 weeks for me where the PMUA crew skipped the hot towels. What gives?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:04 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
UA has added this back to satisfy the legions of whining PMUA 1K flyers...Just more of the over-entitled attitude of the PMUA elites.
While both pmUA and pmCO flyers have their misconceptions, I think this is unfortunately one of the legacy issues from the CO side of FT: the subtly hinted but strongly believed notion held by a few that [all] pmUA elites/1Ks were [by default] 'over-entitled'...whatever over-entitled might mean.

I think that sadly this colors some posters' perspective in a negative light and in doing so they loose the ability to rationally approach and comment on the issue.

Just as to a hammer ever problem looks like a nail, someone who holds the view of elites/1Ks being 'over-entitled' any criticism, regardless of the underlying merit, will appear baseless and frivolous.

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
...folks who paid for F to get their first choice.
The old UA system actually did this via the "*" rating system. First priority was GS, followed by paid F and 1K. It was actually PMCO who had no published method of tying status to meal choices.

Last edited by J.Edward; Dec 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Just as to a hammer ever problem looks like a nail, someone who holds the view of elites/1Ks being 'over-entitled' any criticism, regardless of the underlying merit, will appear baseless and frivolous.
On the flip side, there seem to be an old guard of pmUA flyers that see any change in anything at the airline as an attempt to disrespect pmUA flyers. It gets kind of tiring for any change - especially the really benign ones - to be clogged up with discussion by the same 5-10 posters with rows of thumbs down saying "not a change I will like". In that sense, I feel there are some pmUA 1Kers that feel over-entitled in the sense that they feel entitled to have an airline that never changes any policy, ever, for them.

And I say this as a pmUA flyer myself that feels that the merger has been maybe something like 40% good 60% bad.

In that regard, FEBO/Front to back seems to work fine at AA and Delta without elites rioting. Many of the same pmUA 1K flyers that have complained the loudest about this change are also the first to tell you how much of their business they have moved to AA, which does it exactly the CO way.

I'm not backing away from anything I stated. They are ex-CO communication flacks. Having dealt with these types of people in more than one industry, this job function has the tendancy to carve out deeply entrenched personal feelings of the entity at hand. It's not all that surprising - they spend their lives promoting and defending the company.
And having dealt with PR people myself any halfway decent one is able to turn on a dime in announcing new company policies. One day it's "we proudly make our products in America, unlike our competition," the next day it's "made with state of the art factories in China, bringing the savings to you."

To think that the UAInsider crew is so deeply vested on one side of methods of meal order choices in First Class that they could only be made to announce the change on Flyertalk kicking and screaming says way more about you than it does about them.

Last edited by andrewwm; Dec 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I think this is unfortunately one of the legacy issues from the CO side of FT: the subtly hinted but strongly believed notion held by a few that [all] pmUA elites/1Ks were [by default] 'over-entitled'...whatever over-entitled might mean.
I don't think that the pmCO side thinks that ALL pmUA elites are/were over-entitled [I'm certainly not going to speak for more than myself], but considering that even some pmUA 1Ks didn't understand the need for 1K meal priority shows that it is one in a series of policies SOME 1Ks wanted to show everyone who the 1Ks are. With allowing other elites to use the blue carpet, an elite phone line (though there might be a 1K desk) and no priority for meal orders, there is less of a fuss being made. As with all other FFs making the decision whether or not to stick with UA, each 1K needs to decide if these changes are enough to make them want to look elsewhere. Continuing to throw stones at the new airline just because it's not the old product isn't helping anyone.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by jetaway96
To those who are still in doubt, this is confirmed. The alert email was sent out on Nov 27th to all FAs. The priority is as follow.

1/ Global Services (GS): our invitation-only membership program exclusively for our top members.
2/ Premier 1K customers (1K): 100,000 Premier qualifying miles or 120 Premier qualifying segments.
3/ All other revenue customers
4/ Pass riders

The effective date is Nov 30th. Cheers.
Where are FULL F passengers on this list?? If I was a non MP member paying thousands of dollars for my ticket I would damn well expect my first choice. UA needs to make sure full fare is not lumped in with "all other revenue". The pmUA way was full fare passengers on domestic flights were grouped with 1K's and on 3 class international, the CS agents would hand write who was full fare so the F/A's knew
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andrewwm
In that regard, FEBO/Front to back seems to work fine at AA and Delta without elites rioting. Many of the same pmUA 1K flyers that have complained the loudest about this change are also the first to tell you how much of their business they have moved to AA, which does it exactly the CO way.
Yes, because the AA meal order policy alone clearly defines their level of respect for their elites

Comparison makes zero sense
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:49 pm

Yes, because the AA meal order policy alone clearly defines their level of respect for their elites

Comparison makes zero sense
Well which is it - meal choices given to elites first are an important benefit, in which case AA is disrespecting their elites, or meal choices aren't really that important, in which case this whole thing was a tempest in a teapot?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Well which is it - meal choices given to elites first are an important benefit, in which case AA is disrespecting their elites, or meal choices aren't really that important, in which case this whole thing was a tempest in a teapot?
False equivalency. Never a part of the full FF program package for AA. And I think UA selling TODs and continuing to lie about it is a bit more disrespectful than AA not offering 1st meal choice.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite

The old UA system actually did this via the "*" rating system. First priority was GS, followed by paid F and 1K. It was actually PMCO who had no published method of tying status to meal choices.
Because many of them do/did act like over-entitled elites. One only need to read a few of these threads to see that pretty clearly. My 1MM miles status came primarily from flying UA pre-merger, so I know of what I speak.

As far as the prioritization of meal taking goes, I don't think it's necessary at all....but I do understand it has been re-introduced to satisfy the PMUA elites. Based on the jubilant reactions of this thread, they are thrilled UA has caved in on this one as its an incredibly important issue.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
I just want provide a little fact on this thread.

On the FA paperwork there is a section that outlines cutormer status level
Then for each of the premimum cabins there is a list of all customers; their sear assignment, the status level, destination and a line to note drink and meal. There is also a section that lists United 1K in United Economy. There is nothing to denote fare basis.

Code:
Customer Status Level
GS     Global Services   *G     Star Alliance Gold
1K     1K                *S     Star Alliance Silver
Plat   Platinum                PRPS  Pass Rider Positive Space
Cold   Gold                    PRSA  Pass Rider Space Available 
Silv   SIlver

-----------------------United First Class Customers --------------------

Dest     Drink        Meal 
2A  Jones/David              1K*G           SYD     _______      __________

2K  Smith/Michael              *G           SYD     _______      __________

3C  Naito/David              Gold*G         SYD     _______      __________

3H  Olsen/Samual               GS*G         SYD     _______      __________

3K  Paul/Richard                            SYD     _______      __________

4C  Jones/Kimberly              *G          SYD     _______      __________
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by TomA
If they are not a MP member, they are likely a one-off or kayaker, which in my mind are the same thing.

I think they would say that it is just one of many things that makes them loyal. A piece of the puzzle, if you will.

I flew DL the other day for the first time in years. I am not a DL Skymiles member or member if any Sky Team program. I took the flight cuz it was the only non stop on this route. I also paid full F for my ticket. I'm certainly no "Kayaker" although IMO Kayakers are smarter then almost everyone here sunce they book by price or have no idea who would rather make 3 stops instead if going non stop just to get a few miles. I expected my first choice for the simple fact THST I paid full F for my seat AFAIC anyone paying full F deserves their first choice
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

But you're taking only one aspect of the entire Elite value proposition.
If you pick it out as a single, standalone item, it seems trivial. But in a year of devaluations on practically every level -- product, technology, service, program, upgrades, petc. -- it's another straw.

AA and DL do not have the status recognition problems that CO had/new UA has. I think that AA EXPs and DL Diamonds probably feel well-treated and more valued than UA 1Ks these days. If UA 1Ks upgrades were clearing as well as AA's, and IRROPS were being handled like AA EXP's, and there weren't regular technology glitches or lengthy hassles due to poor technology, I think more people would have just let the meal choice issue go.

I could care less about meal choice. Though I think this policy restoration is one of the most positive things we've seen in a while because it sets the correct tone with on-board staff.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:11 pm

False equivalency. Never a part of the full FF program package for AA.
So meal choices aren't really that important. Glad we have that cleared up.

And I think UA selling TODs and continuing to lie about it is a bit more disrespectful than AA not offering 1st meal choice.
If you're angry about TODs, fine. But this is not a TOD thread.

But you're taking only one aspect of the entire Elite value proposition.
If you pick it out as a single, standalone item, it seems trivial. But in a year of devaluations on practically every level -- product, technology, service, program, upgrades, petc. -- it's another straw.
I can see this. I fly United probably as much as you do so I am well aware of what has been going on. But the level of hyperventilating about this issue in meal choice threads does not equal how important I think this issue actually is. The fact that everyone gets all worked up about it and say they're taking their business to AA because of it is just silly to me.

I could care less about meal choice. Though I think this policy restoration is one of the most positive things we've seen in a while because it sets the correct tone with on-board staff.
I'd prefer that the staff just be trained to treat all customers with warmth and kindness, not just the elites. Why is it unreasonable to ask for good service for all instead of just good service for some?

Some of my most embarrassing experiences on the old UA was being treated well while watching ordinary folks being treated like dirt by the same staff.

Last edited by andrewwm; Dec 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by gengar
When did anyone say "not a MP member" in the posts you quoted? You keep trying to make your example more extreme by adding qualifiers that were completely absent from the posts you were responding to.
OK. They are not--obviously--1Ks or GSs, because that would trump anyway. So yes, I guess they could be full fare F flyers of some lower status, but people that are regularly paying for full fare F are typically GS. Those who are not will be relatively uncommon. You're being a bit picky.

Last edited by TomA; Dec 1, 2012 at 9:35 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I flew DL the other day for the first time in years. I am not a DL Skymiles member or member if any Sky Team program. I took the flight cuz it was the only non stop on this route. I also paid full F for my ticket. I'm certainly no "Kayaker" although IMO Kayakers are smarter then almost everyone here sunce they book by price or have no idea who would rather make 3 stops instead if going non stop just to get a few miles. I expected my first choice for the simple fact THST I paid full F for my seat AFAIC anyone paying full F deserves their first choice

Your post proves exactly why a Full F pax should not get special treatment. You just admitted that you, "took the flight cuz it was the only non stop on this route."

Meal choice or any other perk, amenity, or consideration is not going to sway you one way or another. I posted above that paid F pax are usually busy travellers where time/schedule is of the essence. Had DL not had the nonstop, but AA had, you would have been on AA -- meal choice, meal quality, etc., wouldn't make a difference.

You are exactly the kind of customer that CO is used to catering to -- one who has no choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.