Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by TomA
I just switched my Jan 11 757 flight to 6E.
I just moved my seat from row 1 to the last row of BF. Granted the only seat available at booking was in row 1 but I prefer the back of the front
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cbchicago
I hope all this is true. Now if we can bring back the red carpet with GS, First, and 1K, boarding only line, this would be great. One could only dream.
As much as I agree, I doubt you'll see this happen. Taking meal orders by status doesn't entail much in the way of costs - it's a policy change. Going back to the carpet for GS/1K/F/C would require signage changes, which cost money, and more important, it would damage the "United MileagePlus Explorer Card - You're in" marketing strategy.

That said, ^^ to United for listening to their customers!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
You know that by FF I meant frequent flyers, right? Because that is exactly the situation that was presented.
No, it's not - you added the "one-off" part, something completely absent from both posts you quoted.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by channa
I don't believe that's a change for CO FA's. It was only the UA FAs who were allowed to comp Y food to F pax if they did not like the meal choices.
I just had a "snack box" comped to me 2 nights ago. No big deal & I even offered to pay. Was on a PS red eye & can't stand that cold cous cous snack. Walked back to Y and asked for a snack box, took out my wallet & the FA refused to take my money.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
The sad thing here is that, apart from pmUA intercontinental flights in C, international and domestic premium class meals have deteriorated to the point where it's barely worth worrying about meal choice.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jetaway96
To those who are still in doubt, this is confirmed. The alert email was sent out on Nov 27th to all FAs. The priority is as follow.

1/ Global Services (GS): our invitation-only membership program exclusively for our top members.
2/ Premier 1K customers (1K): 100,000 Premier qualifying miles or 120 Premier qualifying segments.
3/ All other revenue customers
4/ Pass riders

The effective date is Nov 30th. Cheers.
Thank you for posting this. I like that they put the status definitions next to the levels. That's excellent for staff awareness so they realize the importance of these customers.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I just had a "snack box" comped to me 2 nights ago. No big deal & I even offered to pay. Was on a PS red eye & can't stand that cold cous cous snack. Walked back to Y and asked for a snack box, took out my wallet & the FA refused to take my money.
That was a policy violation. The FA probably just did it as a CS gesture, and will probably play dumb if their inventory comes out as off. But unless the policy has changed, AFAIK, they are not allowed to do this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 1, 2012 at 7:56 am Reason: off-topic
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
1K Meal orders to be prioritized again

I really don't understand this "all elites are equal" mentality, on board or at the airport. They're clearly not, otherwise we'd only have two tiers: elite and non-elite.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: UA2MM AND 1K, HYATT GLOBALIST, AVIS PRES CLUB.
Originally Posted by dayone
You're right. FAs zig-zagging through the cabin and then subsequently slaving over a meal matrix in the galley is so much more elegant.
Well said. And which 1K will get a choice over the next? Are we then going to prioritize by status, then fare class paid, then time of check-in, then age of your first born child? Really?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Whining about getting your choice of airline food of any kind is like choosing the colour of your colonoscopy probe.....go to a restaurant or cook food yourself for fine cuisine....airplanes are for travel, not dining.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
Add me to the +1^ category and maybe (n.b. maybe) COdbaUA is starting to see the light that status DOES mean something-and with that, could reverting back to a boarding process that worked be far behind?
It appears (to me) that they have only started to see the light as their financial picture has worsened. Perhaps this add-back means they are really in trouble this quarter. I know I haven't flown them in a month. It feels fairly refreshing.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Let me get this right. People who pay for economy (and are upgraded) get to choose the meal they want ahead of the people who actually pay for their meal???
Apparently, those people who pay for economy and fly enough to be upgraded appear to be more profitable for the airline than those who occasionally buy a first class ticket. just saying...
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Apparently, those people who pay for economy and fly enough to be upgraded appear to be more profitable for the airline than those who occasionally buy a first class ticket. just saying...
It makes sense, actually.

I would guess that most paid F pax are time-sensitive customers buying on schedule and availability of an F cabin. Aside from a few markets with direct competition (e.g., LAX-JFK), usually one carrier is the only game in town, or at a minimum, one carrier is significantly dominant and will have the best schedule.

That same guy in SFO who booked UA SFO-IAH because they're the only game in town, will be on AA next week because they're the only ones going SFO-MIA, and on DL the week after because they're the only ones going SFO-ATL.

They're not picking an airline that works for them for the year, they're picking a flight that works for them today. That guy may not care too much for US, but if he's going SFO-CLT, he'll be on US.

Elite customers, however, can be much more finicky, because they can move the whole customer relationship to another carrier with one decisive move. Also, that Elite may be flying UA in markets where UA is not the most efficient in order to maintain their status and the relationship.

The paid F pax is not going to go SFO-DEN-ATL with DEN-ATL on an RJ. They're taking DL. That Elite, however, may very well fly the UA route that takes more time, is more prone to a delay, and is on the junk equipment over flying DL with no status (not to mention flying DL may jeopardize his ability to requalify for his UA status due to the lost opportunity).

Recall that the F pax is also not needing status for their trip. They bought the big seat, they get free bags, they get priority checkin and security, all with their ticket. Many of the perks that status members get wouldn't do that F guy any good anyway. That's why he can afford to be transient.

The VFF, OTOH, needs the status perks to avoid the masses. The airline needs the VFF to maintain that repeat business.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Whining about getting your choice of airline food of any kind is like choosing the colour of your colonoscopy probe.....go to a restaurant or cook food yourself for fine cuisine....airplanes are for travel, not dining.
So all meal choices are the same and none are worse than others? I bet if you are offered a choice of meals, you select one over the other, so there is a difference and you do have preferences. Or do you not eat anything on a plane? The discussion is about choices of food ON A PLANE. Eating at a restaurant or at home isn't an option at 30,000'.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I just switched my Jan 11 757 flight to 6E.
Hopefully you'll get a crew that implements the policy.

I thought about moving back on a couple of non-intl 75- flights, but the worry of downguage is still there.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

I thought about moving back on a couple of non-intl 75- flights, but the worry of downguage is still there.
Where you sit doesn't necessarily make a difference, and you will likely be taken care of anyway, not just dumped back into Y. I would go with your favorite seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.