Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by jhtraveller
I think prioritizing meals is ridiculous. If orders are taken from front to back, just select a seat towards the front, if this is important to you. Since upgrades are prioritized, you should have a better choice of seats the earlier you're booked in the cabin. Using a predictable seat choice method, I never missed a meal choice on CO. As a lifetime Platinum, I have plenty of "prioritized" benefits already. What's next? Prioritizing the use of the toilet? Let the status game end once everyone is seated.
The mentality on sUA, which has carried over with many FTers is that 1Ks need their egos stroked at every possible chance from checkin to meal choice and everywhere in between. sCO, at least on board, treated everyone the same.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:46 pm

"CO" FA: "Waaaa, United is making me do stuff...waaaa"

Originally Posted by SF1K
Apparently FAs received an email that starting today 1K meal orders are supposed to be prioritized. Don't have further details. The "CO" FA that was telling another FA wasn't too happy about it.
There's absolutely NOTHING that a former "CO" FA would be happy about. They're a miserable lot who need to start their own airline, because apparently they're the only ones who know anything about anything up there in the sky.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:53 pm

Welcome back

I think prioritizing meals is ridiculous. If orders are taken from front to back, just select a seat towards the front, if this is important to you. Since upgrades are prioritized, you should have a better choice of seats the earlier you're booked in the cabin. Using a predictable seat choice method, I never missed a meal choice on CO. As a lifetime Platinum, I have plenty of "prioritized" benefits already. What's next? Prioritizing the use of the toilet? Let the status game end once everyone is seated.
Not that it matters to me because I don't eat domestic meals (since they did away with special meals), but how in the world is prioritizing meal selection ridiculous? It's exactly what should happen. Otherwise we're forced to sit in a seat we don't want just to get a better selection. That's crazy. If I want to sit in row 6, which I do, why should someone with less status who at the last minute got upgraded and landed in 1A mean that I don't get my first choice?

Hmmm, prioritizing toilet use...let me ponder that.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njcommodore
The mentality on sUA, which has carried over with many FTers is that 1Ks need their egos stroked at every possible chance from checkin to meal choice and everywhere in between. sCO, at least on board, treated everyone the same.
Hey, how's that "let's treat everyone the same" mentality working out for the airline this year? That crap may fly with Air CLE/EWR/IAH, but not anymore

Maybe, just maybe, there's something to treating your best customers just a little bit better than the rest and doing the small touches in terms of recognition...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I think prioritizing meals is ridiculous.
Well, UA management, and now current CO management doesn't think so.

Clearly there has been a decline in revenue from frequent flyers, and this is a no-cost way to show value.

The more important part of all of this (yes, more important than chicken or pasta), is that it gives the staff an awareness of status. That can turn into other areas of recognition or accommodation. All of that demonstrates the customer is valued, and that encourages repeat business.

Originally Posted by lax2jfk2lax
Also, FA mentioned to me that the manifest indicted that I fly a lot.
Excellent. This is the desired side effect -- the fact that they are aware and are looking at the manifest, and understanding what status levels indicate, etc.

It also puts them in a more humbling position when they're told that they need to earn their customers' business and make these sorts of accommodations, rather than the arrogant messages we've seen previously at CO that the airline the best, their people are the best, and customers don't pay enough to fly (all things their management has said to them)

I can understand why a born and bred CO FA might scoff at the idea of this at first. It seems silly, and coming from the CO culture to having to cater to this sort of little thing is a big leap, and it runs counter to much of what they've heard for the past decade or more. But ultimately, it is the right move for business.

It will take a lot of time to break the dysfunctional CO culture, but I think this is a significant step in the right direction.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
I'm just going to go there...once you're in the F cabin every passenger is equally as important. This whole I'm slightly more important than you is ridiculous. The purpose of a plane ride is A->B not A->B with an ego stroke. Back when I was allergic to dairy, I asked the purser for the breakfast cereal ahead of time before meal orders were taken. When food was given out I was told a 1K had requested it instead (I was Prem Ex at the time), I was floored. I wanted to say "would it kill him to eat the omelet, because it would literally kill me" but I restrained myself.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Wrong. It isn't about ego, it's about an airline recognizing their more loyal flyers, and compensating them for that loyalty. I'm not sure why you find that concept so hard to comprehend.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:31 pm

Funny how the egalitarian approach on AA (FEBO) doesn't come up when people who jumped over there from UA boast about its bastion of loyalty recognition. No other US airline took orders by status.

The FAs must be thoroughly confused by now with the flip flops.

We'll get more of what I overheard behind me a couple weeks ago while sitting at the 5A chef's table of a PS flight. "My first and ONLY choice will be the BEEF."

The flight attendant bickered about the guys attitude while sorting the orders, and he did not end up with his beef, but winked and said I'd of course get my first choice.

The whole thing just sets up confrontation, but I'm on the winning side of it so guess can't complain.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I just hope they will give priority to full fare customers over 1Ks. Even if that results in me not getting my meal choice.

I feel sorry for the FAs due to the much larger FF base and how will they determine who gets their choice when the entire cabin is filled with full fare customers, GS, and 1Ks?
Personally I see nothing wrong with the CO method of taking meal orders or boarding. You want your first choice, then book a row to the front. This entitlement nonsense for GS people was annoying before 3/3, and continues after 3/3.

As far as prioritizing full fare over 1k, if you want to volunteer your meal, please feel free - but don't make that decision for others. If I'm sitting in the first or second row, I should be getting my meal choice accordingly.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
As a former 1K now life time gold, this is the right move.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Unfortunately, booking a seat near the front is not as easy as it used to be.. With so many ToDs, YBMs, etc, floating around, 1Ks or other elites usually get one of the last remaining seats available in F (if they even get the upgrade..).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM | DL Gold | AA Gold | Marriott Platinum | Hilton Gold
deleted

Last edited by World_Traveler; Nov 30, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by bocastephen
As far as prioritizing full fare over 1k, if you want to volunteer your meal, please feel free - but don't make that decision for others. If I'm sitting in the first or second row, I should be getting my meal choice accordingly.
Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with this change, all I am saying if they are going down this avenue with the whole prioritization program, they should prioritize to give the first choice to full fare customers since as part of the fare they paid for includes "gourmet meal".

Under the old system, F customers had the opportunity to pick their seats accordingly if having a choice is important, except for small number of last last minute F customers.

If choices are very important to you, then I guess you should like this change.

ETA: just read the above post. Guess many full fare customers are pretty much guaranteed to not get their meal choices anymore on elite heavy routes.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:48 pm

Let me get this right. People who pay for economy (and are upgraded) get to choose the meal they want ahead of the people who actually pay for their meal???

Sorry, but that's just about the ultimate over-entitled-elite ego-trip.

Jeff, you have a good thing going, but you're wimping out on me. Catering to people who are not happy with simply a free upgrade from a $300 seat to a $1200 seat is not the way toward a profitable airline.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I usually tell the FA to come back to me after everyone has what they want and give me whats left so wont affect me much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.