Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Finally, a change I like.

I didn't realize this was even important to me until they changed to the front-to-back system and I was getting the "second and only choice" when I dared to sit behind row 2 or 3. Hey, I fly a lot and it's nice to have a perk that goes along with it.

I prefer the discreet method of taking first and second choices and sorting it out in the galley but I admit to getting a cheap thrill when the FA comes to me at or near the beginning of their zig-zag trek through the cabin.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Let me get this right. People who pay for economy (and are upgraded) get to choose the meal they want ahead of the people who actually pay for their meal???

Sorry, but that's just about the ultimate over-entitled-elite ego-trip.
+1, but I'm afraid we are part of a very small minority.

It is interesting that AA's elite-agnostic FEBO somehow manages to offend almost no one.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
+1. Finally something sensible is happening.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
I usually tell the FA to come back to me after everyone has what they want and give me whats left so wont affect me much.
Ditto. I've been surprised at how effusively they've thanked me the last few times. They must get a lot of grief over this.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by robbeck1
Poor thing.

“...What I want is those people to either change or leave.” Mr. Smisek in yesterday's NY Times.
Is Smisek talking about employees or customers or both?

Originally Posted by jhtraveller
I think prioritizing meals is ridiculous. If orders are taken from front to back, just select a seat towards the front, if this is important to you. Since upgrades are prioritized, you should have a better choice of seats the earlier you're booked in the cabin. Using a predictable seat choice method, I never missed a meal choice on CO. As a lifetime Platinum, I have plenty of "prioritized" benefits already. What's next? Prioritizing the use of the toilet? Let the status game end once everyone is seated.
My work requires travelling within a day's notice so I pay top dollar for C class seats and don't get a good choice of where to sit. What is ridiculous is then adding to that that I will have less of a selection for meals because the only seats left are at the back of the plane. Most expensive tickets, less seat selection AND less meal selection makes no sense.

Finally, a change I like!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jhtraveller
I think prioritizing meals is ridiculous. If orders are taken from front to back, just select a seat towards the front, if this is important to you. Since upgrades are prioritized, you should have a better choice of seats the earlier you're booked in the cabin. Using a predictable seat choice method, I never missed a meal choice on CO. As a lifetime Platinum, I have plenty of "prioritized" benefits already. What's next? Prioritizing the use of the toilet? Let the status game end once everyone is seated.
Not sure prioritizing meals by status is any more ridiculous than prioritizing meals by seat.

Of course loading more meals could render this whole discussion moot.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Nice change. Let's see it in practice otherwise it's just a rumor.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by dayone
It is interesting that AA's elite-agnostic FEBO somehow manages to offend almost no one.
Maybe this will make all the newly minted AA elites jump back to UA.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by river_rower
The FA on my flight from IAH to DEN did this, about two weeks ago. I was shocked, she came back to 3F or something and took my order first, looked right past the guy sitting next to me in the aisle.
The FA did this from SNA to ORD on Sunday also. Strangely, the person they skipped was my wife (also 1k by MM match, but gold on her own). For some reason she showed up as 0 status. She was flying on my miles though.

The FA told her explicitly that she had to take 1k meals first, but luckily my wife only wanted the soup, so there was no status debate.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
[QUOTE=dayone;19774981
It is interesting that AA's elite-agnostic FEBO somehow manages to offend almost no one.[/QUOTE]

It seems to me, now that I'm booking AA F, that they load more meals. Granted its a small sample of 6 flights this fall, but haven't had an issue with choice and I have 0 AA status.

would be great to see one of the two step up and bring back special meals...that would be a differentiator like it was for pmUA. Might also help them to get some of their premium buyers back...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
^^^^ if this is true. I'm sorry, call me a guy who needs my ego stroked, I guess. I just think that my loyalty to an airline should be valued over a guy who bought the cheapest possible fare and then bought a TOD and next time will fly whoever is cheaper and has no loyalty to a particular airline.

The meal priority on sUA was VERY important to me, as it allowed me to select my preferred seat AND get my meal choice. With the current/previous(?) system, I usually had to choose either/or.

While it seems there is some good level of confirmation here, I'd liked to page UAInsider to confirm this great change for us.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I hope all this is true. Now if we can bring back the red carpet with GS, First, and 1K, boarding only line, this would be great. One could only dream.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cbchicago
I hope all this is true. Now if we can bring back the red carpet with GS, First, and 1K, boarding only line, this would be great. One could only dream.
You took the words right out of my mouth! PMUA knew how to keep us loyal and understood that 1Ks do matter.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Beerman92
Not sure prioritizing meals by status is any more ridiculous than prioritizing meals by seat.
You're right. FAs zig-zagging through the cabin and then subsequently slaving over a meal matrix in the galley is so much more elegant.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Let me get this right. People who pay for economy (and are upgraded) get to choose the meal they want ahead of the people who actually pay for their meal???

Sorry, but that's just about the ultimate over-entitled-elite ego-trip.

Jeff, you have a good thing going, but you're wimping out on me. Catering to people who are not happy with simply a free upgrade from a $300 seat to a $1200 seat is not the way toward a profitable airline.
If a 1k flies 100k miles a year and gets upgraded and served a meal prior to a full-fare paying customer, there's a good chance the 1K is a better revenue generator than the one being passed over. UA has decided to reward their most frequent fliers. The full-fare passenger is still getting a meal. You can't just look at the revenue to UA on one flight. The counter to your argument is pleasing the biggest revenue generators over the occasional lower (or no status) full-fare first passenger is the way toward a profitable airline.

This is a change I like. Two thumbs way up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.