Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If a 1k flies 100k miles a year and gets upgraded and served a meal prior to a full-fare paying customer, there's a good chance the 1K is a better revenue generator than the one being passed over. UA has decided to reward their most frequent fliers. The full-fare passenger is still getting a meal. You can't just look at the revenue to UA on one flight. The counter to your argument is pleasing the biggest revenue generators over the occasional lower (or no status) full-fare first passenger is the way toward a profitable airline.

This is a change I like. Two thumbs way up.
If the system worked as its supposed to you might have a point but as many here have pointed out, you can earn 1K by spending MUCH less all year then a person who just buys one C or F international seat. I'm sorry but chances are a person paying over $10,000 for a ticket certainly deserves first choice or at the very least the same choice that a GS has.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by channa
It makes sense, actually.

Recall that the F pax is also not needing status for their trip. They bought the big seat, they get free bags, they get priority checkin and security, all with their ticket. Many of the perks that status members get wouldn't do that F guy any good anyway. That's why he can afford to be transient.

The VFF, OTOH, needs the status perks to avoid the masses. The airline needs the VFF to maintain that repeat business.
think you're slightly off-base on this, as someone that's fits what you describe. pmUA indeed offered a value prop to the F paying pax that unfortunately the CO-run version does not. For me it was simple, Veg meal + Ch9 + great in-flight F service + good on the ground recognition = my business.

Start taking those things away and so long. I wish DL could replace someone at ORD, but barring that, AA now offers a consistently better F product, especially as the CO blight (aka 737-something) and their surly/disappearing F FAs + we don't care attitude spread into ORD...so UA still lose the $1000+ domestic premium over a $300 Economy tix to SFO or LGA b/c they can't stand the thought of allowing a vegetarian to request said meal that honestly probably costs less than the factory farm/tortured chicken product they love to serve.

Or the fact Smisek seems to think a CO FA who may be "present" on the flight somehow is working more than a pmUA FA that actually works an entire flight (what's the CO FA ratio; 1 hour worked for 4 hours flown?).

Obviously AA also decided to screw anyone wanting a special meal, but so far I've been able to get the pasta on them vs. the wretched meat choices on CO-branded United.

My premium dollars will stay with AA until veg meals in F make a comeback. Then I'd just throw a fit about those wretched CO F FAs until they're re-trained.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I flew DL the other day for the first time in years. I am not a DL Skymiles member or member if any Sky Team program. I took the flight cuz it was the only non stop on this route. I also paid full F for my ticket. I'm certainly no "Kayaker" although IMO Kayakers are smarter then almost everyone here sunce they book by price or have no idea who would rather make 3 stops instead if going non stop just to get a few miles. I expected my first choice for the simple fact THST I paid full F for my seat AFAIC anyone paying full F deserves their first choice
So, for Delta, you were a one-off flyer, which kinda makes my point here. You--sorry to say--are not worth as much to Delta as one of their high status members. You may have expected first choice, but in reality, Delta would be kind of foolish to give it to you over one of their Diamond members. I realize you have a different opinion on the matter and I have no intention in arguing about this issue, but that is the way I (and many others--and apparently now UA management) see it. A full fare F tix does not come with first choice of meal anymore. Fact.

Originally Posted by channa
Your post proves exactly why a Full F pax should not get special treatment. You just admitted that you, "took the flight cuz it was the only non stop on this route."

Meal choice or any other perk, amenity, or consideration is not going to sway you one way or another. I posted above that paid F pax are usually busy travellers where time/schedule is of the essence. Had DL not had the nonstop, but AA had, you would have been on AA -- meal choice, meal quality, etc., wouldn't make a difference.

You are exactly the kind of customer that CO is used to catering to -- one who has no choices.
Exactly.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 2, 2012 at 12:17 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
hm
Lot's of bickering IMHO about today's UA meal choices at F and who should choose first. Seriously. The choices are so bad, that most of us should really be focusing on that fact, instead on who should get the chicken or the pasta or the mystery meat first. Frankly, I don't care if I get any of them.

Just my 2c
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by andrewwm
But the level of hyperventilating about this issue in meal choice threads does not equal how important I think this issue actually is. The fact that everyone gets all worked up about it and say they're taking their business to AA because of it is just silly to me.
I don't think it's silly. The attention vs. importance ratio seems high, as you point out, but that's because this merger has been death by 1,000 cuts for many 1Ks.

You can take any of the downgrades and make it look like these folks are whining. No pillows, hidden blankets, Jeff McMuffins, meal choice, upgrade rates/TOD upgrades, IRROPS handling, technology snafus, on-time performance, customer service, two-faced corporate doublespeak, etc., etc., etc. They all look like small items (some smaller than others). But the Elite program is a relationship program, so you're looking at all aspects of the relationship when you make an assessment, and if the aggregate hits the tipping point, then that's when people bolt.

For someone that may be that fourth pasta dish in a month after the fifth unexpected overnight in Chicago this year because it would take too long to endorse to AA in CO's crappy system. It's not for me or you to judge.

But if all they downgraded was the meal choice, I think it's fairly certain people wouldn't be bolting to AA in droves like they have been.

I'd prefer that the staff just be trained to treat all customers with warmth and kindness, not just the elites. Why is it unreasonable to ask for good service for all instead of just good service for some?
I think all customers should be treated well. However, frequent customers should get additional recognition and accommodation. Clearly the company realizes now that makes good business sense.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So meal choices aren't really that important. Glad we have that cleared up.
Don't put made-up claims in my mouth that I'm clearly not articulating

If you're angry about TODs, fine. But this is not a TOD thread.
Agreed, it makes as much sense to bring in as you using the fallacy of only citing the meal order as the #1 criterion of a FF program

The fact that everyone gets all worked up about it and say they're taking their business to AA because of it is just silly to me.
Please cite a link to any UA flyer saying they're defecting to AA solely due to the old meal policy. I'll save you the trouble - you won't find one.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by glasnost7
I really don't understand this "all elites are equal" mentality, on board or at the airport. They're clearly not, otherwise we'd only have two tiers: elite and non-elite.
+1
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Here is a serious question. What if everyone in the F cabin is either GS, 1K, or full fare? I've seen it.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sulley
Here is a serious question. What if everyone in the F cabin is either GS, 1K, or full fare? I've seen it.
Per post 99, it appears that first choices would be allocated amongst GS, then 1K, then all other revenue customers.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:50 pm

On the flip side, there seem to be an old guard of pmUA flyers that see any change in anything at the airline as an attempt to disrespect pmUA flyers. It gets kind of tiring for any change - especially the really benign ones - to be clogged up with discussion by the same 5-10 posters with rows of thumbs down saying "not a change I will like". In that sense, I feel there are some pmUA 1Kers that feel over-entitled in the sense that they feel entitled to have an airline that never changes any policy, ever, for them.
This was what some rallied during integration - disqualify criticism as nothing more than banter from a handful of FTers. As the evidence shows, that was a loosing defensive strategy, as most every possible & probable issue that was presented has become reality. FT is a microcosm of what's happening on a broader scale, so if you or some management wants to play with the "it's only a few whiners online" strategy, you'll see you grossly underestimated what's actually happening.

In that regard, FEBO/Front to back seems to work fine at AA and Delta without elites rioting. Many of the same pmUA 1K flyers that have complained the loudest about this change are also the first to tell you how much of their business they have moved to AA, which does it exactly the CO way.
That's fine and dandy, but this isn't AA or DL - this is UA, an airline that has long gone about meal priortization in this way. What those carriers are doing on this field is inconsequential to the UA flyer who now has to face this change. And frankly, if the Front-Back policy was as equal to UA's system as your spirited defense is implying it is, the company wouldn't have felt a need to be switching back.

Second, this stuff about the converts not complaining about AA's meal prioritization - again, this is a loosing argument. It's the individual pieces that complete the puzzle - and UA has a lot of pieces that are souring HVFs, AA has less, even if the meal prioritization is a downgrade from pmUA. Nobody ever stated this was some black and white, zero sum game. Just because a convert may find a few pieces of AA that is inferior, that doesn't suddenly mean they're going to come roaring back, as if meal prioritization is more important than timely customer service.

And having dealt with PR people myself any halfway decent one is able to turn on a dime in announcing new company policies. One day it's "we proudly make our products in America, unlike our competition," the next day it's "made with state of the art factories in China, bringing the savings to you."
There's a large problem with this logic - these people are working for an effective new company. They were forced to move halfway accross the country and execute their job function on what they have long targeted & considered to be their largest adversary in the business.

To think that the UAInsider crew is so deeply vested on one side of methods of meal order choices in First Class that they could only be made to announce the change on Flyertalk kicking and screaming says way more about you than it does about them.
You're free to feel that way. From what I've both seen and heard from them, I have very little doubt they are still very much invested in one side of the company over the other, just as their top boss, the CEO, is.

Last edited by tuolumne; Dec 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Seat 1F
No no no. We already have entirely too many UA whiners at AA. The fact that folks on here are trying to seriously argue that a 1K upgrader in F should get a meal preference over a paid F passenger is pretty telling of the entitled mindset we are dealing with. This thread should be closed.
Actually, I'm sure most 1Ks, if not all, would be just fine with paid F pax being equivalent to 1Ks for meal priority - after all, that's how it was on PMUA, and it worked quite well ^

Along with a new ad agency, I think they need some new meal description copywriters too

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 2, 2012 at 12:22 am Reason: response to deleted quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Actually, I'm sure most 1Ks, if not all, would be just fine with paid F pax being equivalent to 1Ks for meal priority - after all, that's how it was on PMUA, and it worked quite well ^
agreed...although I always ordered the AVML without issue, but when travelling with no status wife on paid F, there was never a meal issue. My gut says AA gets this as even with their system, I've gotten the what I wanted even preferring the back F seats and I even had a manager? (not the GA or FA) come on board and thank me for choosing AA during Thanksgiving flight. I thought that was a nice touch. the oldUA used to do a lot of nice things for us even though I'm usually in the premier exec range...we were usually the ones getting the bottle of wine of something that was never expected, but always appreciated
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
False equivalency. Never a part of the full FF program package for AA. And I think UA selling TODs and continuing to lie about it is a bit more disrespectful than AA not offering 1st meal choice.
I've never had an issue not getting the meal I wanted on AA. I think they pack extras.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Actually, several posters on this thread were suggesting Premiers should get meal preference over Paid F passengers.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Seat 1F
Actually, several posters on this thread were suggesting Premiers should get meal preference over Paid F passengers.
I would suggest 1Ks (not other premiers) should get preference over Paid F passengers with lesser or no staus with UA. If the Paid F is also GS or 1K, they would get their meal choice. It's the non-loyal or infrequent Paid F passengers that may be in line after the loyal and frequent 1K passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.