Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hobo13
I'm fine with them asking EVERYONE for their first and second choice, and then prioritizing it appropriately in the galley. I've been on plenty of PMUA flights that did it this way.
An easy and painless way to do it.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It's never been like that, so there's no baseline comparison. AA doesn't seem to be in the business of taking away elite benefits like UA is.

From IME on AA this year and from what I've read on the AA boards, not getting a 1st meal choice isn't an issue - then again, their food is a lot better, and they don't seem to be catering a ratio of 2 cereals to 10 Jeff McMuffins for example.

Add in the dropping of the meal choice as a 1K benefit, in addition to all the other ways they've crapped on 1Ks/elites this year (that they now appear to be walking back from, wonder why that is), tells a more complete story.
Exactly - AA never did prioritize, so there was nothing taken away, and domestic food in F seems to be a bit better than UA, so there is less angst over choices.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Before the roll-back of the policy, I had been lecture multiple times by PMCO crew about how it takes to much time to prioritize by status.

I love the discussion about how UA needs to retrain the FA's. I can sum this up in a 30 second briefing:

1. Go front to back and ask every passenger for their 1st and 2nd meal choice.
2. Return to galley.
3. Prioritize meal choices by status on the manifest.

If this is really that much work, UA could have SHARES print-out a rank-order of the pax in F to be used for meal prioritization. That could be delivered to the purser along with the manifest. (In case the 1-4 stars next to the name is confusing.)
See my post #160 for the information that is currently provide to the FA
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Just got off a PHL-IAH flight and the new order was used.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SGJazz
Just got off a PHL-IAH flight and the new order was used.
CO or UA flight?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by channa
CO or UA flight?
It should have been CO. Like the PDB change for sUA FA's, I hope most crews on the sCO side adapt.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
Thanks for the information. Nice to see that the indication for 1Ks in Y has returned.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
I may not fly as much as some here on FT, but I can't recall a single instance in which I was denied my first choice of meal, sitting various places throughout C and domestic F cabins. (Knock on wood.)

That said, I don't see how anyone can be upset by this policy as long as it's properly implemented. Which is to say, add me to the chorus of people who are saying that the FA should sort in the galley and that full-fare F should probably get their first choice with the same priority as 1K/GS.

I'm told by an AA insider that they stock their galleys 110% in premium cabins to avoid telling premium pax that they don't get a choice. Although FEBO would annoy me as I tend to choose seats fairly close to the front of the cabin.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
CO or UA flight?
CO

One of my better experiences with a CO crew.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Didn't PMUA spit out an F seating chart? I know it was printed in text, but it was a bunch of boxes with names/status/stars in it right?

It made it much easier for FAs to use.

Originally Posted by Sulley
Like the PDB change for sUA FA's, I hope most crews on the sCO side adapt.
Agreed.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
SFO, I know you said there is nothing in there to identify your fare basis but is there anything on that list that shows who's been upgraded?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Before the roll-back of the policy, I had been lecture multiple times by PMCO crew about how it takes to much time to prioritize by status.

I love the discussion about how UA needs to retrain the FA's. I can sum this up in a 30 second briefing:

1. Go front to back and ask every passenger for their 1st and 2nd meal choice.
2. Return to galley.
3. Prioritize meal choices by status on the manifest.

If this is really that much work, UA could have SHARES print-out a rank-order of the pax in F to be used for meal prioritization. That could be delivered to the purser along with the manifest. (In case the 1-4 stars next to the name is confusing.)
I have an even better suggestion...

1. Go to seat 1A and take the meal order
2. Working from 1B though the last seat, ask each passenger for their choice, letting customers know when a selection has run out
3. Serve meals

Voila..done.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
SFO, I know you said there is nothing in there to identify your fare basis but is there anything on that list that shows who's been upgraded?

Nope I typed it in the format that it prints (names are fake).

Didn't PMUA spit out an F seating chart? I know it was printed in text, but it was a bunch of boxes with names/status/stars in it right?

It made it much easier for FAs to use.

Yes we did but that was an Apollo function and is no longer with us.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I have an even better suggestion...

1. Go to seat 1A and take the meal order
2. Working from 1B though the last seat, ask each passenger for their choice, letting customers know when a selection has run out
3. Serve meals

Voila..done.
I think what you describe is what CO was doing prior to their decisions to change it (except that some FAs would work back to front and others would work front to back). Clearly the Airline is having trouble keeping its high value customers (as reflected by their substandard financial performance) and they are offering this (and the extended GPUs) as an incentive for customers to stay and/or come back.

P.S. I don't think these two items alone will make much of a dent in customer retention issues (although I could see the GPU item having much more of an impact than this one).
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
If I ever think that getting my choice of a trucked in box Meal (made pretty in the galley) is important to me..I will

CHeck that my life insurance is paid up...

Give my spouse a gun

Ask her to shoot me to put me out of misery

Go to airport vendor
Buy meal of choice
Eat.
I like the prioritization, but this is still a great post.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Pat89339
A change I'll like, if true! I can go back to my favorite row on a 757 now.
You cant have my seat

While i really like this new perk for 1K, I'm just about to that point where i will be buying most of my meals in the airport. I can only take the same meal so many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.