Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
hm
Lot's of bickering IMHO about today's UA meal choices at F and who should choose first. Seriously. The choices are so bad, that most of us should really be focusing on that fact, instead on who should get the chicken or the pasta or the mystery meat first. Frankly, I don't care if I get any of them.

Just my 2c
I second this opinion. There's plenty of opinions on here. But I am also amazed at the fuss over airline food which costs the airline less than a can of dog food. I have never understood the focus on meal vs. no meal on a plane. I know the preservative level of that food is sky high. It's really bad for you. I learned this from a girl i knew who worked at WHQ who handled catering planning. For those of us business travelers who can expense food, you are likely much better off eating elsewhere from a health and financial standpoint.

But I have summed it up, and of course this is only my opinion, that the airline meal is one of the last remaining elements of "glamour" in first class now. It's the concept of being served. Service doesn't really exist on US carriers in the back of the plane anymore. So I think as Americans we just are thirsty for service and glamour. That's why upgrades are so important these days to so many travelers.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
This discussion has gone as far as to say some choose their seat to assure their choice of meal.....which I find incredible.
As I mentioned previously in this thread, I don't bother with the onboard meals on domestics (I previously used this fact to claim I can offer an unbiased viewpoint on meal priority). However, I know plenty of frequent flyers who choose to sit further up specifically to ensure meal choice. While IMO all the food offered is awful, I acknowledge that some people may feel that some offerings are much worse than others.

Originally Posted by TomA
OK. They are not--obviously--1Ks or GSs, because that would trump anyway. So yes, I guess they could be full fare F flyers of some lower status, but people that are regularly paying for full fare F are typically GS. Those who are not will be relatively uncommon. You're being a bit picky.
Picky? No. I just object to you unfairly representing my posts, which is something I don't think is too much to ask.

Also, it's very possible to be an elite who mostly buys F and still not make GS, especially for someone who only flies domestic routes. This is very common for work travel that allows F - one of the companies I used to work for had a ton of 1Ps who flew nothing but paid F on UA, and they never came anywhere close to GS consideration. And I'd be honestly embarrassed for UA if they were treating upgraded 1Ks better.

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
Actually, several posters on this thread were suggesting Premiers should get meal preference over Paid F passengers.
While true, you'd have to get a much larger sample to make a case for anything specific to 1Ks. I've already posted in this thread that I approve of a system where full fare F pax outrank upgraded 1Ks, and several other posters have signaled approval of policy that's at least similar.

You seem to like recklessly throwing out the "overentitled" label on PMUA elites, but I'm sure you'll find many examples of what you feel to be "overentitled" elites with respect to certain policies/procedures on any given airline.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
If the system worked as its supposed to you might have a point but as many here have pointed out, you can earn 1K by spending MUCH less all year then a person who just buys one C or F international seat. I'm sorry but chances are a person paying over $10,000 for a ticket certainly deserves first choice or at the very least the same choice that a GS has.
Paying $10k for Intl First, you deserve much better fare than what is offered/presented. Fly biz and then spend less than a thousand bucks having a real gourmet meal when you land.

As others have said, first choice or second it really doesn't matter. The food on planes is not something to get excited about, imo, even in Intl First.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by TomA
So, for Delta, you were a one-off flyer, which kinda makes my point here. You--sorry to say--are not worth as much to Delta as one of their high status members. You may have expected first choice, but in reality, Delta would be kind of foolish to give it to you over one of their Diamond members. I realize you have a different opinion on the matter and I have no intention in arguing about this issue, but that is the way I (and many others--and apparently now UA management) see it. A full fare F tix does not come with first choice of meal anymore. Fact.

Exactly.
No, no. I do see your point & it is a good one. However, I was impressed with my dinky little DL flight. Do I plan to switch from UA to DL? No. But I will certainly take them again and as a customer w no status, ill pay for my F seat. I may only fly them 4-5 times over then next year but those 4-5 flights in full F equals probably more $$ then many spend to make status. I would think any airline would want to impress a "one off" F passenger with the hope of getting repeat business. I got my first choice & ill fly DL again. It's only a stupid meal & it's such an insignificant part of flying that its hardly worth mentioning. The point to me is more the principle of the whole meal / status thing. I would hope any airline is smart enough to treat a full F passenger at least as well as a status passenger. pmUA had it exactly right with the old " ****" system. Full fare got 4 ****. The same as a 1K. Now how hard is that?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
I just want provide a little fact on this thread.

On the FA paperwork there is a section that outlines cutormer status level
Then for each of the premimum cabins there is a list of all customers; their sear assignment, the status level, destination and a line to note drink and meal. There is also a section that lists United 1K in United Economy. There is nothing to denote fare basis.

Code:
Customer Status Level
GS     Global Services   *G     Star Alliance Gold
1K     1K                *S     Star Alliance Silver
Plat   Platinum                PRPS  Pass Rider Positive Space
Cold   Gold                    PRSA  Pass Rider Space Available 
Silv   SIlver

-----------------------United First Class Customers --------------------

Dest     Drink        Meal 
2A  Jones/David              1K*G           SYD     _______      __________

2K  Smith/Michael              *G           SYD     _______      __________

3C  Naito/David              Gold*G         SYD     _______      __________

3H  Olsen/Samual               GS*G         SYD     _______      __________

3K  Paul/Richard                            SYD     _______      __________

4C  Jones/Kimberly              *G          SYD     _______      __________
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Sulley
Here is a serious question. What if everyone in the F cabin is either GS, 1K, or full fare? I've seen it.
Then United's PRASM would be doing A LOT better than it has so far this year.

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I've never had an issue not getting the meal I wanted on AA. I think they pack extras.
Now there is a good idea!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 2, 2012 at 6:15 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Actually, several posters on this thread were suggesting Premiers should get meal preference over Paid F passengers.
Sure, there are always some, and that's perfectly their right - it is a fair argument that one with high loyalty to a company might deserve better treatment than a one off (good) customer. Take a poll - I bet the majority won't have any problem with it.

Since you think this benefit isn't a big deal, if you're in the last row of a C/F cabin and the FA comes to you first, are you going to say "just give me whatever is left after everyone else orders?"
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
I think all customers should be treated well. However, frequent customers should get additional recognition and accommodation. Clearly the company realizes now that makes good business sense.
Exactly. MsHalls120 and I have a rotation of local restaurants we frequent. I tip very well on those occasions, because the service is worth it, and because that tipping means we don't wait for a table, and our glasses are always filled, and our waitpersons are very attentive. Yes, all customers should be treated well, but frequent customers ought to be given a little lagniappe in exchange for that loyalty.

Originally Posted by Sulley
Here is a serious question. What if everyone in the F cabin is either GS, 1K, or full fare? I've seen it.
I was once on a flight where there were so many GS that I didn't get my choice. The world didn't end, my flight wasn't ruined, and I didn't demand compensation for that egregious slight. I understood the situation, and was fine with it, because I understood why United prioritized GS passengers over me.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 2, 2012 at 6:17 am Reason: off-topic
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by gengar
You seem to like recklessly throwing out the "overentitled" label on PMUA elites, but I'm sure you'll find many examples of what you feel to be "overentitled" elites with respect to certain policies/procedures on any given airline.
I fly on AA a whole lot and there is no-where near the sense of gimme gimme gimme as there is on UA with some of the PMUA flyers. Even the tone on the FT boards is different. This morning I wake to see some PMUA folks on here are still seriously arguing that an upgraded 1K should get priority meal preference over an F passenger that paid for the service....yet you refer to me as being reckless?

My opinion is that many of the PMUA flyers are/were over-entitled. Some of the views expressed by PMUA flyers on this thread and many other threads perfectly support my beliefs. I'm not sure what other conclusion one can reach with this evidence available for all to see?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I fly on AA a whole lot and there is no-where near the sense of gimme gimme gimme as there is on UA with some of the PMUA flyers. Even the tone on the FT boards is different.
Maybe that's because AA does a good job at taking care of its EXPs.

If US does to AA what CO did to UA, then maybe the tone will change quickly over there as well.

Recall the UA board was not like that pre-3/3. Sure, there were complaints here and there (some more significant than others), but the anti-company venom really started to fly on 3/3, which was, for all practical purposes, the end of United. I'm not saying that's bad, it's just a normal side effect when a company with tens of thousands of loyal, frequent customers with a history of taking care of them, stops doing so and begins to antagonize those customers instead.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I fly on AA a whole lot and there is no-where near the sense of gimme gimme gimme as there is on UA with some of the PMUA flyers. Even the tone on the FT boards is different. This morning I wake to see some PMUA folks on here are still seriously arguing that an upgraded 1K should get priority meal preference over an F passenger that paid for the service....yet you refer to me as being reckless?
I agree with you that upgraded 1Ks shouldn't be above full fare passengers in priority. The difference between you and me is that I acknowledge an argument can reasonably be made that differs from my opinion, and I don't expand a vocal minority to try to represent "many" PMUA elites to make accusations about systemic behavior.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1k
Instead of reinstating prioritizing, why didn't UA add meal selection to their mobile app ?
Ideally selection could be done in time for everyone to get their choice, but if not it could prioritize for FA's.
Yes I know last minute upgrades would still have to choose, but could extend meal selection to the top five on the standby list.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by msimons
Instead of reinstating prioritizing, why didn't UA add meal selection to their mobile app ?
Ideally selection could be done in time for everyone to get their choice, but if not it could prioritize for FA's.
Yes I know last minute upgrades would still have to choose, but could extend meal selection to the top five on the standby list.

With AA doing meal selection, I'd be surprised if UA weren't looking at it.

Look at their technology, though. This is probably something that would take a months to a year to implement.

Maybe meal priority is just their attempt at a quick-fix.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by msimons
AA is offering pre-flight meal selection. In fact, many years ago PA offered pre-flight meal selection for a period of time....for Y class passengers. PA had something like 10 meal choices one could pick from. I believe the passenger had to call in their meal choice 24-48 hours in advance (remember this was before the Internet). I never availed myself of the service. I understand the FA's hated it as it complicated their delivery of the meal service. Also, I think there were loads of mistakes with requested meals not being loaded. It will be interesting to see how well this works at AA.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Michael D
...first choice or second it really doesn't matter...
It's amusing that people keep saying this in this thread, but in reality every single one of you will indicate a preference. I can guarantee you do not tell the FA, "I'll take either one. I don't care which one I get".
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Why can't we select our meal choice 24 hours in advance?

How tough can that be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.