Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
20 minutes after getting off the phone and changing it X, I got an upgrade on the return flight Saturday.

So, either the super agent pulled all the strings she could pull or the change to the X fare got me automatically upgraded.
Did you call the OPSC or the general elite line? I dread the call.

Also for a YN segment, I wonder what fare class if any they could change the res to make the EUA process work... ?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by slippahs

20 minutes after getting off the phone and changing it X, I got an upgrade on the return flight Saturday.

So, either the super agent pulled all the strings she could pull or the change to the X fare got me automatically upgraded.
Did you call the OPSC or the general elite line? I dread the call.

Also for a YN segment, I wonder what fare class if any they could change the res to make the EUA process work... ?
Strike that. Called the elite line and got the right agent who switched it from a XN to an X. Hoping it gets me on the waitlist!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by slippahs
Hoping it gets me on the waitlist!
There's no waitlist, that's part of the problem.

If we had visibility into it (like UA does with its upgrades) we'd know there's a problem without having to do all this guesswork.

The minute it didn't show Upgrade: Pending or Upgrade: Waitlisted, we'd know there was an issue and be able to get it fixed.

Now we're just shooting in the dark until we find something that works.

CO systems.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:42 pm

I recently booked my entire family on reward miles and noticed that they were ALL booked into X except me! I was booked into XN (which I don't mind too much). Now i'm thinking that they are all gonna get upgraded except me!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold

This was also my experience changing to an X booking class. The system would automatically upgrade me. I wish that CO would have their IT staff fix this known bug with the XN booking class.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by channa
There's no waitlist, that's part of the problem.

If we had visibility into it (like UA does with its upgrades) we'd know there's a problem without having to do all this guesswork.

The minute it didn't show Upgrade: Pending or Upgrade: Waitlisted, we'd know there was an issue and be able to get it fixed.

Now we're just shooting in the dark until we find something that works.

CO systems.
Well, technically there is a waitlist, we just can't see it. I also love to see you bashing CO on a benefit your beloved UA doesn't even have.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
I have a contact in the programming department at CO and alerted them to this today. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Well, technically there is a waitlist
Not really. The ordering is generated dynamically at each sweep and is not visible to us or phone agents.

If it were, we may have been able to isolate this sooner.

Originally Posted by njcommodore
I also love to see you bashing CO on a benefit your beloved UA doesn't even have.
This has nothing to do with the benefit, rather the systems surrounding it. UA's systems with respect to upgrades provide more visibility, and if they had such a benefit, there would be the same visibility you have into regular upgrades.

So, if the only issue is this X vs. XN class issue, then with UA's approach, we would have been able to isolate this months ago, on ticket purchase, as Upgrade: Pending or Upgrade: Waitlisted would not be displayed on XN's, but they would be on X's. Then at least we'd be able to construct a workaround immediately (call in and get added manually) vs. having to shoot in the dark and post data points for months, wondering where the problem may be.

It has nothing to do with bashing CO. It has to do with the fact that CO's opaque systems do not offer us or its agents the same level of visibility to identify when there may be a problem.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold

This has nothing to do with the benefit, rather the systems surrounding it. UA's systems with respect to upgrades provide more visibility, and if they had such a benefit, there would be the same visibility you have into regular upgrades.
We can play hypothetical games all day, but the reality is the CO currently offers a benefit that UA does not, and your unrelenting bashing of almost everything that CO does is becoming tiresome and a distraction to the forum.

You, along with several others, clutter nearly every thread with complaints, some relevant, some not. It's become nearly impossible for a person to come in, ask a simple question, and not get barraged with a bunch of barely-OT warnings about how CO is definitely going to screw them.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
We can play hypothetical games all day, but the reality is the CO currently offers a benefit that UA does not, and your unrelenting bashing of almost everything that CO does is becoming tiresome and a distraction to the forum.

You, along with several others, clutter nearly every thread with complaints, some relevant, some not. It's become nearly impossible for a person to come in, ask a simple question, and not get barraged with a bunch of barely-OT warnings about how CO is definitely going to screw them.

You're deliberately distracting from the point which is that CO's lack of visibility into its systems is what's caused this issue, the on-topic issue, to continue to drag on for so long.

UA was only used as an example of an airline with a more transparent system, where the level of effort to isolate this sort of bug would have been substantially less due to the amount of information provided to customers (and a different methodology in processing upgrades). The fact that UA does not have the offering on award tickets does not detract from that point, as the point was this would have been a heck of a lot easier to get to the bottom of on UA due to their systems and procedures.

If you want to use yet another airline example with more transparent systems, which has such a benefit, we can use DL. If on DL, you were booked into some Elite reward class and your upgrade didn't process, and there's upgrade seats available while you're inside your window, you'd be able to resolve it quicker. A ticket purchase on DL allows you to confirm upgrades if V space is available (they'll even show you Upgrade: Available during the search process). So if that weren't processing, you could get them to force you up. There's no mysterious EUA algorithm that has to run when it feels like/if it's working that day that you have to wait for. Or at time of booking, if it didn't say Upgrade: Requested, you'd know there was a problem.

If CO had better systems, tools, and visibility into this, this wouldn't be a big deal. We should all be on the same page in terms of wanting CO to have better systems, tools, and visibility, no?

Last edited by channa; Dec 8, 2011 at 10:15 am
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Smile GOOD customer service & resolution

Since I was not successful last week in getting my mileage ticket upgraded, even after spending an hour+ on the phone with a representative from the Elite desk, and trying to explain the issue to the President's Club agent at the airport... I thought I'd try to get ahead of the issue for my late-December mileage ticket.

I just spoke to a VERY helpful Elite desk representative (Thank you, S!!!) who was aware of the issue. She told me that she had talked with another FT member yesterday and was able to help him. She asked about FlyerTalk and said she would check it out. She expressed her frustration that communication about this issue has been lacking, but wanted me to let you all know that the information is finally spreading. She said "Kudos" to the person who identified the X vs. XN issue...

She got me rebooked into X and hopefully the upgrade process will proceed as it should.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
You're deliberately distracting from the point which is that CO's lack of visibility into its systems is what's caused this issue, the on-topic issue, to continue to drag on for so long.

UA was only used as an example of an airline with a more transparent system, where the level of effort to isolate this sort of bug would have been substantially less due to the amount of information provided to customers (and a different methodology in processing upgrades). The fact that UA does not have the offering on award tickets does not detract from that point, as the point was this would have been a heck of a lot easier to get to the bottom of on UA due to their systems and procedures.

If you want to use yet another airline example with more transparent systems, which has such a benefit, we can use DL. If on DL, you were booked into some Elite reward class and your upgrade didn't process, and there's upgrade seats available while you're inside your window, you'd be able to resolve it quicker. A ticket purchase on DL allows you to confirm upgrades if V space is available (they'll even show you Upgrade: Available during the search process). So if that weren't processing, you could get them to force you up. There's no mysterious EUA algorithm that has to run when it feels like/if it's working that day that you have to wait for. Or at time of booking, if it didn't say Upgrade: Requested, you'd know there was a problem.

If CO had better systems, tools, and visibility into this, this wouldn't be a big deal. We should all be on the same page in terms of wanting CO to have better systems, tools, and visibility, no?
And if SQ had this offering, people could be upgraded on the A380 on award tickets. What's your point?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
And if SQ had this offering, people could be upgraded on the A380 on award tickets. What's your point?

Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by kdhith
Since I was not successful last week in getting my mileage ticket upgraded, even after spending an hour+ on the phone with a representative from the Elite desk, and trying to explain the issue to the President's Club agent at the airport... I thought I'd try to get ahead of the issue for my late-December mileage ticket.

I just spoke to a VERY helpful Elite desk representative (Thank you, S!!!) who was aware of the issue. She told me that she had talked with another FT member yesterday and was able to help him. She asked about FlyerTalk and said she would check it out. She expressed her frustration that communication about this issue has been lacking, but wanted me to let you all know that the information is finally spreading. She said "Kudos" to the person who identified the X vs. XN issue...

She got me rebooked into X and hopefully the upgrade process will proceed as it should.
Kdhith, that was the person who helped me yesterday, and she was spectacular. She changed my current flight and my flights next week to X, even though other agents claimed changing it to X was not possible.

Regarding the flights today, I never actually made it on the visible list until I checked in at the airport, but they did not clear the last two seats until boarding, so I got the upgrade as soon as I got to the gate.

Moral of the story, call and get them changed to X. If the first agent and his/her supervisor claim it can't be done, say thank you, hang up, and call back until you get someone who can do it.

Also, inform the agents about the X vs XN issue, and maybe they will remember it the next time it rolls around.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
XN to X got that part. Now what about YN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.